iceviolet

VR6 Rebuild

Due to me not being happy with the noises my vr6 is making i decided to buy a AAA engine and rebuild it, and then change out my original engine. I picked one up quite cheap for £150, "perfect runner" the guy said, but as i couldnt hear it running as it was already out of the car, i had to just suck it and see. My plan was to strip it down and to do a complete overhaul and just hone and re-ring if possible. but if not, re-bore and dig deep into my pocklets!!

Got the head of the engine today to have a look at the bores. They need re-boring, there are score marks on all the cylinders and quite deep ones on cylinder 6. Cylinder 1 is full of oil and all the piston gaps look quite large, haven't measured yet, will do that tomorrow.

So im after some advice on the rebuild as i have not done one before, but mainly on piston selection.

I dont want to be breaking the bank and im not too bothered about turboing or supercharging. Not yet anyway.

So whats the best options available for me? And rough prices if possible??

Thanks, some pics of the engine below

That's good price mate. Looking forward to see some proper rebuild here, with lotsa detailed pics if possible! :)

Yeah hopefully will get a load of pics up as the rebuild takes it course.

I use my car as a daily and cant afford to have it off the road for any length of time really. So using the 2.9 pistons is a no go really. Ideally i want to have my engine built up and just be ready to swap over.

Yeah hopefully will get a load of pics up as the rebuild takes it course.

I use my car as a daily and cant afford to have it off the road for any length of time really. So using the 2.9 pistons is a no go really. Ideally i want to have my engine built up and just be ready to swap over.

TBH i think its your best option though mate, especially if you dont want to break the bank.

you should have bought my bottom end,

Head is off so you could have inspected it.

I was thinking about getting your bottom end, and then this cropped up not far from where i live and with it been complete i thought its worth that just for the spares thats on it. Im going to get the bore mic's on it tonight and find out how bad it actually is.

Quick Update:

Well ive had a measure of the bores tonight. Not as bad as first thought actually. Cylinders 1 and six the worst, as expected, with readings at varying points on the bore of 3.190" to 3.191". The other cylinders were all quite similar with 3.189" to 3.190". so not much difference, but 1 and 6 are on their wear limits and due to the scoring on number 6, im still going to rebore.

As regards to new pistons, ive been looking on the net and come across a set of wiseco pistons. Are these reputable or garbage?

Difficult to see from the pics but if its light scoring you will more than likely get away with a good re-hone i would have thought.

I would really not want to go down the route of oversizing unless it was unavoidable

Anyone ever taken the crank pulley off?? struggling to undo the bolt holding it on. Is there something im missing or is it just fooking tight?? had the crank held against rotation at the flywheel side and me swinging on a 2ft breaker bar on the pulley bolt. hasnt moved a bit.

I'll look it up on the bentley when I get in, but I assume it's just foooooking tight.

They are incredibly tight.

Ive never had to do one on a VR but ive had to undo other cars before,ive had to buzz a car over on the starter motor before with a bar locked on the pulley.

Do you know someone with a rattle gun? Either that or a bigger bar!!

just fooking tight then. Just checking in case there was something i hadnt done. Yeah ive got a big windy gun at work, will rattle it off with ease probably, its 1 inch drive. Had to use it on my front hub nuts before. they flew of with it. Its just a matter of getting the block to work now. Dont fancy lifting it in and out of the corrado!

Take it in my van tommorow afternoon if u want :wave:

Thanks for the offer mate but im away for the weekend in newcastle so wont be able to take you up on it. Thanks anyway.

Take it in my van tommorow afternoon if u want :wave:

Thanks for the offer mate but im away for the weekend in newcastle so wont be able to take you up on it. Thanks anyway.

Ok mate well if u get stuck give me a shout

There has been a change of plan with the rebuild. I managed to get hold an ABV unit with minimal wear. So, im going to strip this and rebuild it with new parts instead of having the AAA re-bored to 2.9.

Im after some information on where to get 2.9 piston rings, main bearings and thrust bearings from?? preferably from the UK. Does anyone know of anywhere apart from the main dealers of course??

cheers