iceviolet

VR6 Rebuild

May have some braided hoses for the front, bought from a guy at one of the shows and it turns out they dont fit the standard setup, will dig them out and post a photo if you like, got to be worth a try :D

Thanks, yeah its worth a try, I think its just one of the ends is a banjo type unlike the corrado ones which are just screwed together.

if Bruny can't help you then Goodridge do deal direct with the public. their phone number is 01392 369090.

as for the blowing put an old wallet or something similar over the tailpipe exit to almost seal it up and that will make the blow much more pronounced if there is one - you'll be able to tell much easier then and where it's coming from too.

I'll try that with blocking the exhaust up and see what comes of it, thinking about getting a new exhaust cat back system anyhow so just hope its not the manifold.

Thanks for the replies.

Here you go!!??002.JPG[/attachment:224811pu]

Im not sure if they are the right ones or not?? maybe someone could confirm it.

I thought the ones i needed have a banjo end and then a screw with a hole in, bolts the banjo to the caliper??

mine were a banjo fitment - pretty certain all 288/312's are the same calipers pal

those hoses look like the ones i originally took off my old 280's many moons ago!

Apologies if they are wrong, will check against mine today! It was a while ago and my memory isn't what it used to be :roll:

Apologies if they are wrong, will check against mine today! It was a while ago and my memory isn't what it used to be :roll:

looking at them again - it looks like the male end that goes into the caliper will fit (at least that's exactly how my old ones looked). the end that fixes onto the inner wing looks like it might be different to a standard corrado item.

if i'm remembering correctly, the standard fitment is kind of like the head of a torx bit - it is in like a star shape and the female end of the brake-hose slots up into it. when i fitted my 312's i drilled the hole out to fit the new hoses and held them in place with clips in the same way as the hoses on the rear beam are held in with clips.

it looks like the female end of those hoses might be for a Mk3 golf o something similar possibly :shrug:

afaik the standard corrado ftment has a "star" type arrangemnt to hold the brake hose in place...

Borrowed my mothers camera, (rubbish one) so not the best pictures, anyhow heres how it is sitting at the moment on the new wheels. :D

lookin good

i read this thread the other day great work and lovly lookin car it has to be one of the best colours

i think this thread will cum in handy this winter when/if i get round to rebuilding mine

Thanks, yeah i like the colour. I f you get stuck with parts or anything when you do your re-build give me a shout i got best part of 2 engines in my garage, and i see your not that far away.

cheers for that, ill more than likely take you up on that

Thanks, i have not really set the height properly yet, just guessed it when i was putting it on, but it seems ok, just need some fine tuning to get it bang on. Im very happy with the ride on the ap's, not what i was expecting at all going from 15"!

its very nice indeed, think you should de-lock the doors tho :shrug:

Dont think ill be de locking it, cant trust the central locking!

Anyhow ive done abouty 500 miles or so now on the new engine, starting to open it up a bit more, feels very very smooth. Still not given it the full beans yet but that will come! Very pleased with the car now :grin: :grin: Just dont get to drive it that much with having a company van with a fuel card!!!

Anyone ever taken the crank pulley off?? struggling to undo the bolt holding it on. Is there something im missing or is it just fooking tight?? had the crank held against rotation at the flywheel side and me swinging on a 2ft breaker bar on the pulley bolt. hasnt moved a bit.

I recall Kev advised a 3ft bar! [or at least a v long one] I've seen plenty of mention on how tough they are to crack.

Not heard of anyone trying an impact driver though?

A gripping thread - just read it end to end - a classic demo of good engineering and workshop skills - and a classy result! :notworthy:

On the aesthetic side - agree with the guys, wheels go well [RX2's?] and the calipers are good - a refreshing change from Brembo red or Porsche yellow! :clap: [Watch out for VAG-hag's - coming shortly, though maybe next year!]

I can't believe I've missed this motor on local meets - did you make the Post Office at M1 Jn 38 this summer?

I note you decided to go for the fresh oil spray jets - what persuaded you these were needed? Do they suffer wear from contaminants?

A gripping thread - just read it end to end - a classic demo of good engineering and workshop skills - and a classy result! :notworthy:

On the aesthetic side - agree with the guys, wheels go well [RX2's?]

Agreed!! Great thread & some top skills.... It looks top draw on the BBSs mate... what colour/ finish do you have the centres? Also are the rims polished (with or without laquor?) or diamond cut?

Philmo they are RKIIs 8)

Love the manifold too :clap: :clap: :clap:

Visited stealth on sunday for the rollling road day and got a late spot on the roller due to chazrad dropping. Glad i did as it has confirmed my work on the rebuild was all worth while and im very pleased with my efforts! satisfying feeling knowing the motor i built is healthy!

My results from my best run on the rolling road were:

193.4 Bhp @ 5649RPM

AND

194.7 lbft @ 4195

Well pleased with that!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Philmo and VAG-hag sorry i never replied to your questions i had not looked at this thread for a while.

The bbs centres are some kind of bronzey colour, KADVR6 did them im sure he will know the exact colour, and the rims are just polished and im not sure if they are laquered, dont think so, i polish them with peek. well only done it once.

Philmo, The stealth RR day was the first meet ive been to in the corrado. Will be at more in the future though! Regarding the oil spray jets, i changed these purely because it said in the bently manual that you should always replace. I was sceptical at the time as there isnt much that could go wrong with them is there? apart from getting clogged?

Nah then Ice

That was a a good RR - good turnout and atmosphere, despite dropout rate of VRT's!

I wondered if the jets normally produced high velocity, hence tendency to wear, followed by less effective direction onto the piston undersides, leading to crown overheating.

Nah then Ice

That was a a good RR - good turnout and atmosphere, despite dropout rate of VRT's!

I wondered if the jets normally produced high velocity, hence tendency to wear, followed by less effective direction onto the piston undersides, leading to crown overheating.

How do,

Yeah i would of liked to of seen a VRT in action, but never mind. Maybe next time.

how did you get oil spray jets out of the block? i have looked around and can not see how one would remove them.

how did you get oil spray jets out of the block? i have looked around and can not see how one would remove them.

If i remember correctly, i turned the block upside down, then just poked them out. Obviously the bearing shells need to be removed before hand. I Think i used a 4mm drill bit and just gave them a slight tap with the hammer shaft, they arent in tight, in fact i think one just dropped out when i tipped up the block. Then to put them back in i used a 6mm punch, just tap them in until they are home.

thats good news on your rolling road results, must be good to know your engine is good for anouther 100,000+ miles easy, top work

perksy