iceviolet

VR6 Rebuild

Well its in the garage now, i think i will hold on to it but not going to go down the heavily modded route as i had planned to. I have just enquired about some awesome rims ive just seen!lol!! Might sell the wavetrac and my wheels to pay for them!!

I have decided to do a bit of a overhaul on the underside of the Corrado over the winter. Also install OBD2 if i can get hold of the parts involved. I have a list of things i need/would like to do over the winter. I have made a start already.

To Do List:

-Refurbish Petrol Tank Straps (DONE)

-Refurbish Speedlines (DONE)

-Fit to car

-Refurbish Rear Beam,New Bushes

-Refurbish front Subframe,Wishbones.New bushes all round,New ball joints,New track rods

-Overhaul Steering Rack

-Try remove any rust on underside and then underseal over

-Fit 263 cams and new HD Springs

-Fit Wavetrac

Im sure that lot will keep me busy for a while. I cant wait to drive it with all new bushes and back on the best wheels for the car!! I will keep up to this thread with pics and updates of the progress.

Few pics of the refurbed speedlines.

Well i have not had chance to mark any more items off my winter toi do list yet due to been extremely busy with work,very unusul for this time of year. But I cant complain about the extra cash though! :D

And today i have just bought all the parts i will need for the OBD2 conversion so i can install over the winter period. The parts cost me £400, and came with a 1997 golf vr6 still attached!lol! Bottom end has gone on the car thats why it was £400, it still starts and drives but sounds like a jackhammer!!!

I bought it on the basis that all the OBD2 bits i need are worth £300ish in todays climate and somewhat hard to come by as a complete set up. Then im sure i can get £100 back by selling bits of the golf. Its not in too bad condition really, i thought about putting a new bottom end in,as i have all the bits at home, but then the Corrado would not get OBD2 and also i cant be arsed!!

Anyway heres what £400 of VW Golf VR6 looks like!

Quite a list for the winter iceviolet but guessing it will be a long cold one, hope you have a heated garage. :shock:

Yeah i reckon it will be a long cold one too. And no i dont have a heated garage, will just have to wear more layers.

I think the golf was a good purchase for the OBD2 bits alone really. Just had a closer look at the golf and it has a stainless decat and milltek system, gotta be worth £50.

A question im wondering - Is the rear beam on the golf the same as the one on the Corrado??

Just had a look on Vagcat and the part numbers for the Golf VR6 and Corrado VR6 rear beams are the same...1H0 500 051 Q

So I think the answer is yes!

Might be worth giving them a quick measure beforehand just to check the centre of the mounts to the shell, but there's no reason for them not to be - good plan :)

Came across a head unit that i had in my first car,1.6 mk2 driver. It was a pioneer deh-9000r, I absolutely loved it but i stupidly sold it with the car, it was the main selling point i think! worth more than the car itself. :lol:

Anyhow i got hold of one and thought it would look a lot better than the current blingy Alpine unit i had in the corrado. It has green illumination, (and red, you can choose) which i wanted as it will fit in the corrado dash illumination. I think its a pretty good match for the corrado styling without sacrificing sound quality.

The sound out of it is spot on. I couldnt believe the difference in sound quality through the same speakers the Alpine was running!

See what you think guys, im chuffed to bits with it!

sweet I had one of those in my first rado but it got nick when someone smashed the rear quarter window nice headunit I thought

off topic...but iam liking the centre console, bar and volt meter...would love to have some in the future in mine but cant justify them at the moment...

off topic...but iam liking the centre console, bar and volt meter...would love to have some in the future in mine but cant justify them at the moment...

They are great mate they should have come standard on the storms in my opinion

+1 on that :D

Not happy with just a couple of badges then :lol:

Not happy with just a couple of badges then :lol:

:lol: and the faster in reverse than the standard corrados lol

Got the car back on the road on Monday! MOT passed with no problems!

I did the rear beam bushes, new rear bearings and blasted and painted the beam. MUCH better now, the old bushes were shot! Handles a lot better now.

Next on list is front subframe and wishbone refurb. I got all the parts just need time to do it. And then i am hoping to get some paint on it, sort out a few bits im not happy with!

Decided to throw the standard suspension back on after seeing a few pics of corrados on standard, and also the fact that i have got newly refurbed speedlines on too. Im liking it a lot, its staying that way too!!!

Standard suspension + new rear beam bushes is brilliant, the guys at VW knew their stuff!

Ride is softer than the AP Coilovers, which is a good thing with the state of the roads!! Obviously a little more body roll but i can live with that!

Really chuffed with it as i was/am contemplating selling it!!???!!???

I have had my Corrado off the road for over two years now due to buying a house and so on. I managed to keep it despite people (girlfriend) telling me to get rid! I have been away from the forum for a while too but kept having and look every now and again at parts fro sale mainly!

The time has now come to get the old girl back on the road. It now has a new home in the garage that I have built at my new house which has plenty room for working on cars etc.

Car started first time with a new battery. Got a problem with the ABS at the moment which will hopefully be cured with a replacement pump and ecu which I have, then its MOT time and back on the road!!!

Then fit my Ultraviolet Recaros's that I bough last year!!!!

Pic of the Corrado eager to get out of the new home!

just disconnect the light for MOT and drive it for a bit before spending money on ABS system I found with the old Cs that if you leave them unused the abs light comes on for quite a few miles

just disconnect the light for MOT and drive it for a bit before spending money on ABS system I found with the old Cs that if you leave them unused the abs light comes on for quite a few miles

It might work at a 'friendly' MOT place or if they don't notice but technically the ABS light has to come on and then go out for an MOT test.

Edited by Portent

Yes there is a sequence on turn of ignition that an mot tester looks for.

Also this fault is not one that appeared after the car was stood, this fault occurred when I was still driving the car regularly. I have vag-com and it is coming up with hydraulic pump unit. I have a spare pump and ECU which I will be fitting next week hopefully!

Finally I have got my ABS working and the light does what it should and doesn't come back on when driving! Just need to bleed the system again, got the old spongey brake pedal now, normally takes a few bleeds before it firms up.

After changing the pump and ECU I had the exact same fault that I always had:

01276-ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64) 16-00 Signal Outside Specification

Light comes on at about 15mph.

Thought could be sensor related so cleaned all the abs rings on the car and checked sensors, AGAIN, all ok.

Then reading another thread on here about a different problem the ABS relays and fuses were mentioned that I did not know about, hidden away behind the glove box! Thought I'd check these out, found a blown fuse!! Fitted new and hey presto! fully working abs!

So if you have any abs problems check these buggers first!!! It was the fuse in the middle of the photo above the 179 relay that had gone.