Sign in to follow this  
20v turbo

steering under load

dont know wether it's just me but when i accelerate hard from a standing start the c wants to go everywhere,it pulls the steering wheel from right to left,not alot but very hard. ive been told this is normal&it's called toque steer.any theory's :?

Yep what you are experiencing is torque steer. Because the drive shafts are different lengths on a fwd car you will always get it in a quick car. It will be worse if the car is really low, to the point the the shafts are pointing up coming out the gearbox.

it doesnt bother me that much but when your following it &your wife is driving it,it bothered me alot,i thought she was going to take half of huddersfield out :o cheers

Not that I've ever driven a G60 (the VR6 has extra suspension tweaks to cut down on torque steer), but nothing, I mean nothing, can compare with the torque steer in a Pug 205 1.9 GTi.. Talk about fighting the wheel, jeez!! :shock:

And I was only trying to go in a straight line at the time too! :)

Actually, the Golf gearboxed Maestro turbo had the worst torque steer - ever. And the worst gearshift - ever. The tubular shaft was about 6 miles long and the solid shaft, about 5 cm.

Shame all FWD cars don't share the Alfasud's equal length driveshafts.

I've never had an issue with TS in a high powered VW. You shouldn't get it, or trace amounts of it at worst, with a decent suspension setup and finely tuned geometry settings......and of course, sound ball joints :lol:

K

Quite, kev. Mine is pulling to the right under power, and pulling to the left under braking at the mo!!

Under normal conditions though, no, not a lot of noticeable torque steer from the VR. Certainly it's nowhere near as bad as my 2.0 Cavalier was, and that only had 115bhp... (130lbft tho.)

Quite, kev. Mine is pulling to the right under power, and pulling to the left under braking at the mo!!

Under normal conditions though, no, not a lot of noticeable torque steer from the VR. Certainly it's nowhere near as bad as my 2.0 Cavalier was, and that only had 115bhp... (130lbft tho.)

Hmmm...mine doesn't lurch about unless accelerating on rutted roads. Doesn't pull under braking either, but it does pull left instantly when I let go of the wheel. The tracking is known to be correct. I'm hoping these ball joints will sort the problem out!

Cavaliers, LOL. I had a Burgundy 2.0 GLi for about 2 months, which was about as long as I could stomach it. Horrid suspension......even the 130bhp SRI's suspension couldn't cope with the power....and the 16V Astra GTE was a complete nightmare.....very quick though!

K

Fit a syncro gearbox, you almost have equal length driveshafts then. with the added bouns of that you can run 4WD if you're handy with the grinder and welding set!

To be fair, Kev, the roads I'm driving on are mostly rutted. I do live in Reading after all. ;)

(I'm not going to start a rant about taxes right now though..)

Let's not forget that your tracking will be drifting slightly aswell if the ball joint is moving.

I had my Cavalier for 3 years, actually. Great cheap car. Fantastically comfortable, even if the handling was awful. But yeah, the front wheels were just not connected to the ground, I'm sure.