Sign in to follow this  
Seayem

I can't bear to part with my 'rado.

I took so long to get my hands on the VR6 of my dreams, I thought I would own it it forever. I still intend that to be the case, but I'm emigrating in the New Year ... to China! I'm serious when I say I want to take it with me - even considered driving it there, but there won't be time in between finishing my present job here and starting my new one, so am looking for more conventional ways of getting it there. It means a lot to me, but I'm not going to kid myself that it's a high value motor, especially at the moment ... does anyone know of a good, but reasonable shipper who could be up for this or has anyone had a similar experience and care to share any potential pitfalls ... any advice gratefully received, except for those that try and put me off so that there's another good VR6 in circulation and up for grabs again ... :nono:

Yep, i can understand where you're coming from mate.

Look no further than http://www.karmanshipping.co.uk - your car will go in a sole use 20ft container, no chance of damage, they'll drive it into the container from a loading dock, so no bottoming out either.

Mine made it to Australia OK anyways, didn't want to sell mine either !! Cost me 1500 pounds to get it here in 2005. Took 4 weeks.

Matt

*EDIT* Just realised they only go to HK, but maybe they could arrange something to China from there, or you could have an epic road trip !! Give them a call though, they really went out of their way to help me, especially their agent in Australia.

Im looking to go to Oz in a few years time and i also want to take the raddo and having some very usfull info provided by Matt, its looking like when the time comes it wil happen!

So good luck with it all mate! :wink:

Yep, i can understand where you're coming from mate.

Look no further than http://www.karmanshipping.co.uk - your car will go in a sole use 20ft container, no chance of damage, they'll drive it into the container from a loading dock, so no bottoming out either.

Mine made it to Australia OK anyways, didn't want to sell mine either !! Cost me 1500 pounds to get it here in 2005. Took 4 weeks.

Matt

*EDIT* Just realised they only go to HK, but maybe they could arrange something to China from there, or you could have an epic road trip !! Give them a call though, they really went out of their way to help me, especially their agent in Australia.

I'm going to call first thing Monday (answerphone at the mo), so here's hoping and thanks ... I notice the 'commonwealth' country speciality, so it may be that even the bordering China (and it's the neighbouring province I'm going to, so that'd be frustrating if there IS no way ... ) isn't an option - we'll see :D

Im looking to go to Oz in a few years time and i also want to take the raddo and having some very usfull info provided by Matt, its looking like when the time comes it wil happen!

So good luck with it all mate! :wink:

Thanks and you too ...

You pay for the petrol and I will drive it there!

Are you serious? I don't know if I'm brave enough to hand my keys over to someone else ... had a recent 'debate' with my girlfriend about driving the 'rado and she wasn't happy about being told no :D ... but if there really, and I do mean REALLY is no other way ... it's better than having to part with it, I guess :cuckoo: ... so I'll consider it and be in touch ... no promises though

You pay for the petrol and I will drive it there!

Are you serious? I don't know if I'm brave enough to hand my keys over to someone else ... had a recent 'debate' with my girlfriend about driving the 'rado and she wasn't happy about being told no :D ... but if there really, and I do mean REALLY is no other way ... it's better than having to part with it, I guess :cuckoo: ... so I'll consider it and be in touch ... no promises though

That would be awesome! I am the same with my car so you wouldnt have to worry about any Rally cross :D And if it cheers your gf up any I dont let mine drive my car either lol.

I wouldnt be able to commit fully as i would have to take work into account. However it would be an amazing road trip so would certainly consider it. Keep me posted.

Just been cleaning mine and there is no way i could part with it either now. Especially for the peanuts that they are currently fetching. Picked my friend up last night who alway buys 20k cars and he had to admit he couldnt fault it and that it sounded better than any car he had ever owned :D

All the best

Matt

I have a similar problem (parting with it, not the emigrating part). I was going to buy myself a brand new car next year when my promotion kicks in, but i just cant bring myself to sell my rado. Its only an early valver, but its MY early valver. In some ways i wish i'd never bought it, then i wouldnt have this problem

I have a similar problem (parting with it, not the emigrating part). I was going to buy myself a brand new car next year when my promotion kicks in, but i just cant bring myself to sell my rado. Its only an early valver, but its MY early valver. In some ways i wish i'd never bought it, then i wouldnt have this problem

LOL I know what you mean. When I think of the fun I used to have in cars I didnt give a sh!t about :D

Keep it, be daft not to for the amount of money you will get selling it.

LOL I know what you mean. When I think of the fun I used to have in cars I didnt give a sh!t about :D

Keep it, be daft not to for the amount of money you will get selling it.

Too true. Its cost me around £3k in repairs during the past 2yrs, so no point in selling, ever :lol:

What are the implications of importing a car into China? Are there any sort of dafts rules to get it registered and on the road when you get it there?

As it turns out, yes ... it seems the dream is over ... just had it on good authority today that taking my baby with me really isn't an option - notwithstanding the cost of shipping, there's the difficulty in getting permission to take it, the massive cost of import tax, the not being an option if it's RHD like mine and even if it were LHD and I'd stumped up all the necessary and jumped through the required hoops, there would still be a chance of them saying no ...

Looks like I may have to consider seling it after all ... my road tax is up the end of this month, so I can at least make the most of it for the next couple of weeks ... watch this space, non-bargain, quality VR6 hunters ...

Thats a shame mate, sorry to hear that. I had to jump through alot of hoops to get mine here, but yours sounds pretty much impossible...

Can't you store it somewhere ? Do you really think you will stay in China forever ?

Matt

I am ... but you know, I've made the choice to go and that comes with the territory, I guess. :(

I'm pretty sure that unless I get at least close to what its worth and I know that's a big enough ask with the economic bollox everyone is facing, I won't sell ... I have an old friend (I don't mean he's a gimmer - I mean I've known him since we were 5 ... :) ... ) and he can have it, with the understanding that if ... and it's another huge IF I come back to Europe to a country I can ship it easily enough to - I've lived in the Netherlands before and it's still the best place to date. so remains a distinct possibility at some point in the future and that's an easy enough drive having done it already ... then I can be reunited, if not ... it's his ...

I'm 99.9% sure I won't be back living here though, and holidays will be few abd far between, so I'll see ... be nice to think I can get the right price AND it go to a good home, especially as I've just finished the last two jobs to make it just about perfect, (a new heater motor to replace the old 'works sometimes, sometimes not' one and a new heater scuttle 'foliage cover' seal, which means I can now park it in the rain :clap: )