Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Lewis Hamilton - media comments

Is anyone else finding the media constantly commenting on the fact that he is the first black World Champion really distasteful - I see him as a great racing driver - the colour of his skin is immaterial

I think its only natural, after all F1 has always been the preserve of rich white kids. Never mind drivers, how many black people do you see working on the teams in F1? I can't remember seeing any. He is the first mixed racer (pun intended) ever to win, if he was Chinese or Indian it would be the same.

it's the people who bring up the fact that the newspapers are calling him the first black f1 champ make it worse :roll:

To be honest Andy the appalling thing is that we had to to wait until 2007 to have a black F1 driver at all, let alone a series winner in 2008.

I couldn't agree more, it was superb to see so many black kids being interviewed on the news today about Hamilton - he is a superb role model and shows that if you have the talent then skin colour should not be a barrier. I still think the media are wrong to keep homing in on his colour, we all know he is black, we all know that he's a great driver. If Hamilton doesn't win the title next year will the title winner be declared as the first white world champion since 2007 - I think not

To be honest Andy the appalling thing is that we had to to wait until 2007 to have a black F1 driver at all, let alone a series winner in 2008.

Apaling? not at all - a driver who is good enough won the championship this year, in the past god knows how many years i have seen many drivers win the title, the most prolific being schumacher or even remembering back to the glory days (for me as a kid) of Senna and Mansell, standing there at luffield when schumacher ran hill off the track etc. The drivers who were good enough won, for whatever reason there was not a black person good enough, in the same way there has nefver been an albino or an eskimo win it. I really agree with andy's first post that the focus is strangely misplaced!

I couldn't agree more, it was superb to see so many black kids being interviewed on the news today about Hamilton - he is a superb role model and shows that if you have the talent then skin colour should not be a barrier. I still think the media are wrong to keep homing in on his colour, we all know he is black, we all know that he's a great driver. If Hamilton doesn't win the title next year will the title winner be declared as the first white world champion since 2007 - I think not

Completely sgree, he's a fantastic role model for all really - his manor composure and his achievements from humble beginnings are testiment also to what seemingly good parenting can do for a child also. And in a sport visibly dominated by white rich brits its fantastic to see people from a wider cross section of the world winning, whether they be black white asian etc and whatever country they come from!

Either way i'm still amazingly happy and proud of hamilton that he won

Just my 2p's worth anyway!

what about the scuttlebutt reports that Hamilton's friend since childhood karting, Timo Glock, "fell off" the track when he realised Lewis was not going to get back past Vettel?

...is there an 'adding fuel to the fire' smiley?

Andy.. White rich Brits? There will only be 2 brits on the grid next year... Hamilton and Button (assuming he has a seat)... there are 4-5 Germans At the moment, think it's the "Shuey" effect!

But yes there has been a "Glass ceiling" as far as Motor racing is concerned, not just in europe but also in the US... I don't think I ever saw a black driver/mechanic in my time with the ALMS out there either... But Lewis has got there by sacrifice and raw talent...

Not sure it's a "Race" issue, just an "Access" thing, it's easier and cheaper to get into other sports (eg football/athletics) than the "Gentlemans sport" of Motor-racing... Even the lowliest formula can cost £5k a Season (without car/repair costs)

Personally don't care if he's sky-blue-pink with yellow spots!

First English F1 champ since Damon... and I'm chuffed!

Oh and how many of you know we also have a triple World champion in a relativly high profile motorsport that no-one has heard of?

Don't see what the issue is. It's certainly not racism.

Barack Obama's skin colour has come up frequently, Tiger Woods really shook up the Golf community and now Hamilton is in the same boat.

First black president, first black professional Golf player and 1st black F1 driver. I think that is what the media attention is about. They are major milestones in history and a definite sign the racism barriers have fallen.

British! :nono: You raving nationalist you! :wink:

Lewis Hamilton is Black?! Wow I never noticed.

In all seriousness though, I do just see him as very naturally talented racing driver and its so refreshing to see someone in the F1 paddock who is clearly enjoying the oppurtunity to be there and his racing. I hope he gets 8 WC's and not through cheating like some previous champs.

Lewis Hamilton is Black?! Wow I never noticed.

In all seriousness though, I do just see him as very naturally talented racing driver and its so refreshing to see someone in the F1 paddock who is clearly enjoying the oppurtunity to be there and his racing. I hope he gets 8 WC's and not through cheating like some previous champs.

Which makes it more confusing why all the other drivers dislike him, or at least alot of them. :confused4:

Not sure it's a "Race" issue, just an "Access" thing, it's easier and cheaper to get into other sports (eg football/athletics) than the "Gentlemans sport" of Motor-racing... Even the lowliest formula can cost £5k a Season (without car/repair costs)

Agreed,people may have misconceptions to start with but talent will quickly blow past that and doors will open.

I think country is one of the most progressive in Europe.Hopefully we are moving towards a level playing field where talent and hard work determine success in life and not status.

Andy.. White rich Brits? There will only be 2 brits on the grid next year... Hamilton and Button (assuming he has a seat)... there are 4-5 Germans At the moment, think it's the "Shuey" effect!

But yes there has been a "Glass ceiling" as far as Motor racing is concerned, not just in europe but also in the US... I don't think I ever saw a black driver/mechanic in my time with the ALMS out there either... But Lewis has got there by sacrifice and raw talent...

Personally don't care if he's sky-blue-pink with yellow spots!

Oh and how many of you know we also have a triple World champion in a relativly high profile motorsport that no-one has heard of?

Jon i was refering to the money/teams in f1, not the drivers -the fia has repeatidly been hounded with accusations of racism which is farcical as alot of the money in the sport comes from the far east in sponsorship.

O and Kev good point they probably are just pointing out milestones but it seems sometimes they're saying it as if it is a hinderence ,hence my previous comments!

First black president, first black professional Golf player and 1st black F1 driver. I think that is what the media attention is about. They are major milestones in history and a definite sign the racism barriers have fallen.

More that barriers are falling I think. I'm not really into splitting hairs about skin colour / racism etc but Obama, Woods and Hamilton are all varying shades of 'black'.

I think there is still a long way to go before a 100% native indian blood or 100% African ancestry blooded USA president and such like.

you cant tell what colour he is once hes got his hat on!!! lol

thats not a racist comment btw just an observation :)

It was always going to happen with the media. As for why the apparent sudden dislike for him as a driver by other drivers you only have to look a Schumacher, He was often leapt upon by both the media and fellow drivers - I think a part of that is because he was just that much better than them.

To be W/Champ you have to be agressive, and as far as I can see Lewis is a pussy-cat compared to some previous champs(e.g. Schuey/Villneurve) yes he's hard but not really dangerous.

Plus they should all learn to get out his way quicker! :lol:

Just hope McLaren don't drop the ball car-wise next year...