Sign in to follow this  
dazG60

Door locks

is it possible 2 swap over the door locks from the left 2 the right side ,or should just swap over the door handels (reason being the drivers side has had a new lock & key)& i want 2 use the same key 2 get into the car & start the ign

Does your C have central locking???

If so you could just get both the door handles and locks changed to passat rear conversion and kill two birds with one stone.

Iv changed my locks and handles to the passat rear conversion and it works a treat.

Hope this helps, if you need extra help, pm myself or look up rear passat convesion in "search"

DM

If you remove the drivers side handle, it's not too dificult to dismantle the lock mechanism and change the tumblers around inside it so that it'll work with your existing key.... I've done it on several VWs in my time... 8)

Basically, when you've got the lock barrel out of the handle, take out the pins (DON'T LOOSE THE SPRINGS!) and put them back in an order so that when you've got the key in fully, they're all flush with the barrel... You can buy extra pins (they're numbered 1-5 IIRC) from VAG for a few pence each, so make a note of which ones work in which slots, and then you'll have BOTH front doors working from the same key as the ignition... :D 8)

I presume the same applies to the boot lock? I don't have a key for mine.

How do you remove the boot lock?

I presume the same applies to the boot lock? I don't have a key for mine.

How do you remove the boot lock?

I wish I knew too! :roll: :lol: I haven't got a key to my boot either, (I've only got the 'B' key that'll open doors and start the car....) and I could do with modding the boot lock to work with the new key I've had cut from the very worn B key... :?

Anyone know?!?

'Course that means someone has the A key, somewhere... Hey ho. They don't have keys to the big f-off wheel lock I put on the thing..

'Course that means someone has the A key, somewhere... Hey ho. They don't have keys to the big f-off wheel lock I put on the thing..

...or the new alarm fob, or my own immobilizer details, or.... :wink: 8)

I thought about that when I got the car, I'm seriously thinking about changing ALL of the locks so that they work on a key of my choosing, but I'm not happy about doing the ignition lock 'cos of having to drill out that pin... Doesn't appeal to me much... :?

Of course, the de-locked option is looking more appealing by the day, so I'd just need to modify the boot lock to work off a different key and then I'd be laughing... 8)

How about fitting a "start" button and being done with keys altogether?

Or would you get sued by Microsoft?!

How about fitting a "start" button and being done with keys altogether?

Or would you get sued by Microsoft?!

I like the idea of having keeping the steering lock though... :?

What are A and B keys? My car came with one VW marked key and a plain unmarked key. Are these A & B per chance? Both keys seem to operate all 3 locks although the tailgate lock is a bit jammed up as it only turns about half way round :?

I did the lock change thing on my MK2 Golf. Cost over £100 to do though, including a new 16V torch key light. I had to get a new ignition barrel (easier to change than it sounds) and 3 new locks made up to match the igntion key. It was actually very worthwhile, nice new smooth locks and only 1 key on the keyring, instead of 3!

Kev

There were 3 keys supplied with each Corrado IIRC, 2 were A keys, one was a B key.

The A key will fit ALL of the locks on the car, Glovebox, boot, doors, ignition and filler cap (if fitted with a locking one, it's been a while since I've looked at mine! :roll: ) These were nice VW badged black rubber topped keys.

The B key has an extra ridge along it's length and so will only fit into the doors, ignition and petrol cap. The B key was a metal key which only had the VW emblem engraved into it...

The idea was that you can lock your stuff in the boot and glove box when you take your car to a garage and hand over the B key safe in the knowledge that they can't root through your stuff while they're supposed to be working! :lol:

Ah thanks for that, I do have a B key aswell in that case, it's just a naked metal one without it's rubber coat :lol:

K

:lol: :lol:

Look for the rib down it's length (oo-err!)

Compare it with a normal key and you'll see why it doesn't work in the glovebox and boot locks... 8)

Boot lock is pretty easy to come out. Once the tailgate trims are off i am sure it is only a couple of bolts hold it on. You can change the tumblers on that aswell but it is really fiddly. There is a tiny spring loaded ballbearing in the assembly which locates into a recess. this gives you the horizontal, vertical and over ride positions in your key. it is a bastard to get back in and worse if you loose it! If you are going to delock your car i would get it sorted. If your battery goes flat you are not getting in otherwise.

Don't worry, I won't be de-locking until I know that I can get in through the boot. I would like to be able to lock the hatch permanently, however, and override the central locking.

Very fiddly == pain in the butt, ain't it??!

Damn...

When i bought my C in march it had 3 keys 1 for doors, i for starting and one for boot. Went to VW steeler with proof of ownership and they made up barrels for boot and doors in line with the inigition. Now only one key. It was about £10 for each barrel + £8 for the barrel to be made up.

Sounds good!

Did you have a reason to be able to get that done? i.e. you bought it from a dealer, it was under warranty etc etc?