Sign in to follow this  
aclwalker

Boot rattle 'solution' with pictures.

Every winter (presumably due to the thermal contraction or something) I get a horrendous rattle in the boot which sounds like a combination of lock rattle and plastic against plastic squeaking. The problem seems to go away in summer. It is the most infuriating noise.

After a long and fruitless search for the culprit I became suspicious and the following photo provides a 'solution' to the problem.climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfBoot rattle1.JPG[/attachment:z48gcroo]

Yes, a thick cloth where the boot 'popper' thing touches, removes the problem, so it MUST be something to do with that. I have tried literally everything else, including adjusting the rubber stoppers (which sometimes give temporary relief).

I suspect that the spring loaded 'popper' thing is rubbing against the bit underneath. I'm wondering if I have something missing here, like maybe a rubber plate or something. The next two photos show it without the cloth and also the spring-loaded bit too. Sorry the photos are a bit blurred. Am I missing anything obvious here that would cure my problem? It just doesn't look right where this strikes the body and it seems badly worn as if something's come off. It has always been like that ever since I got the car.2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfBoot rattle2.JPG[/attachment:z48gcroo]

Boot rattle3.JPG[/attachment:z48gcroo]

should be a plastic cap there mate so the plunger can sit on.

Ah, thanks for that (and your other post about the oil system). I'll investigate then and maybe get some peace from the incredible noise.

Imagine squealing beetles climbing into your ear canal every time you hit the slightest bump. Drove me insane until I discovered the cloth trick!

here you go....

Excellent, thanks for that. Do you know what "16a" is? I wonder if it's a rubber plug. I think I've got that missing too.

16a is the rubber bit that goes onto the popper, 17 is the plate it pushes against that fixes to the car

i might have a spare rubber bit lying around, if i can still find it lol i can post to you for nothing

I have exactly the same problem, I find adjusting the latch plate in the boot slightly so it sits deeper into the boot helps - you have to give the boot hatch more of a slam to get it to shut, but once it's shut it's quieter!

Fantastic! mines missing both bits too, the pressure plate and rubber plug.

535 827 769 Pressure plate

Which rubber plug do I need 16A or (16A) ???? N 905 814 01 or 535 857 145 ???

Will get onto the stealers today!

Fantastic! mines missing both bits too, the pressure plate and rubber plug.

535 827 769 Pressure plate

Which rubber plug do I need 16A or (16A) ???? N 905 814 01 or 535 857 145 ???

Will get onto the stealers today!

Which rubber plug you need depends on the year of your car, i.e. consult your VIN number.

I've just been to the dealers and both parts are obsolete (17a and 16a), so I'm afraid that scrapped Corrados seem to be the only option here, unless some sort of rubber plate can be glued on.

There is apparently a 16a, i.e. the rubber bit (not sure which one, presumably late as that's what I was looking for) in a/the Winchester VW branch, but it would have been £10 to send it up on top of the few pounds for the part itself.

Could somebody who has both pieces intact, please take similar photos to mine above so that we can see what we're missing? Perhaps something could be fashioned out of other material.

I'll have a look on ETKA later (when I reinstall VMware to run it in) and see if there's maybe anything else that can be done. I suppose I should have looked on ETKA in the first place, but at least it's brought the problem to other people's attention anyway.

finally someone found the cure! it was doing my nut in! i covered the edges of the parcel shelf, and the two speaker plastic things either side with felt strips as i thought it was them making the noise! ill have to give this a go and see what happens!!

Does this help? I sold the part and this is the only photo I took of it. It's just a round thin piece of rubber on the end...

2008_1111Image0003.JPG[/attachment:3gbv9zrq]

Does this help? I sold the part and this is the only photo I took of it. It's just a round thin piece of rubber on the end...

2008_1111Image0003.JPG[/attachment:3qx4bai4]

Yeah, I still have that piece, which pushes the boot up when the button is pressed. It's just the rubber bit at the end of mine that is loose, but you're saying it's just a thing rubber piece? Perhaps something could be glued on.

I'm actually a bit sceptical that the rubber bit (16a) is obsolete, because I would expect that to be shared across the range. I can understand how the plastic plate (17a) is obsolete though as it is likely to be Corrado-shaped only. But 16a and the associated plunger you would think would be common with other cars.

I'll do some investigation with ETKA to see what I can come up with.

However, it's looking like an alternative would be to glue some sort of rubber plate in place of the plastic plate. Perhaps one of those mobile phone/mp3 non slip mats cut into shape would do the trick? This might not even require a 16a part to work.

It would be really, really helpful though if somebody could photograph both parts from an intact Corrado, so that we know what we're working towards.

but you're saying it's just a thing rubber piece? Perhaps something could be glued on.

Yes, as the photo shows it's just a thin bit of rubber. I'd just glue a new bit on the end.

Not sure if mine is intact as what you are looking for but here is a couple of pics anyway........plastic bit is there tho :D

Happy to pop over to your bit and you can have a look if you want

Not sure if mine is intact as what you are looking for but here is a couple of pics anyway........plastic bit is there tho :D

Happy to pop over to your bit and you can have a look if you want

Ah, that's just what I'm looking for. Maybe a visit would be good. I could scan your car for you with VAG-COM if you want. I seem to remember you wanting that done before. It would be to see how the bottom bit is attached.

Here's what I'm thinking for DIY replacements for these parts.

For the rubber 'tip' on the spring-loaded rod, some kind of plumbing washer glued on the end. Or maybe a protective rubber foot for furniture cut to size.

For the plastic bit on the body, it might be possible to cut apart one of the rubber feet for the brake and clutch pedals and glue it on. These were fitted to Mk II Golfs (I had one) and so will be ten a penny in scrapyards. A rubber piece down the bottom might mean that a new rubber tip on the spring-loaded rod might not be necessary.

There seems to be quite a few Corrados being broken on Ebay just now (sadly), so it might be possible to get these bits from a car being broken. Hopefully the plastic bit is straightforward to remove without breaking it.

man I'm so pleased I found this thread I have the same problem it's enough to make me want to get out and walk, I need both parts tho 16 and 16a, I just have a hole in the boot I have the plastic bit it sits on just not actul pin :( if anyone has one and I'm not jumping any qeue i really Need one before I go crazy:)

**update I've just ordered the rubber cap that's goes on the sprung pin from vag for 14p but they say the sprung pin is out:( anyone got one?**

man I'm so pleased I found this thread I have the same problem it's enough to make me want to get out and walk, I need both parts tho 16 and 16a, I just have a hole in the boot I have the plastic bit it sits on just not actul pin :( if anyone has one and I'm not jumping any qeue I a

Need one before I go crazy:)

Send me the plastic bit then, as you clearly don't need it if you don't have the plunger bit! :lol:

I had a look around ETKA and there seems to be no other VWs of that era that used this kind of pop-up system. And since the parts are now obsoleted (not sure about the plunger itself, but I'm guessing so, if the plate and rubber bit are obsoleted) then the only options is Corrados being broken.

By the way, if you don't have the plunger bit then it must be something else making the noise in the boot. With me, it's the fact that the plunger has no rubber end cap and also no plastic bit it sits on, so the plastic of the plunger is rubbing off the plastic of the main bit of the body, which is a horrendous noise. You might get decent results by adjusting the rubber stoppers on both corners of the tailgate so as to push the boot out a bit. Hopefully they're not missing from your car too!

you could just take the plunger bit out? not sure it achieves much, check it anyway as they break quite easy

Possibly. I think its main job is to pop the lid up a touch when you press the button, but it might also keep the boot from sitting too low, although really the rubber bump stops in the corner should do that.

Here's some more noise-busting advice for those like me who can't stand rattles and clunks:http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=74364

another thing i found to shut the tailgate up is on part 10 on the ETKA diagram provided, on the early version of this part there is a nylon bush that wears out on the hook where the latch on the tailgate grabs on to, this allows the tailgate to move around slightly.

they superceeded this part on late mk4 passats (maybe others) with a part that uses a small metal roller instead of the nylon bush so takes all the slack out, and is a direct replacement.

part number 333827511C is the one you want.

I had a look at mine today and all I have is a hole where this plunger(?) should be - Folded the rear seat down and the boot light was on with the tailgate shut so assume this was the same problem!!

I've taken the bulb out for the time being - What exactly do I need to get everything working properly?

Appreciate any help.

Ian :(