Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyVR6

Buying new top mounts and engine mounts for VR6 :(

Hi chaps,

Just had my car through its annual MOT-style test and I've been told the car is peachy, however I need to change my top mounts. The examiner told me there was 'too much play' in the top mounts.

So...being a mechanical dumbass, that means the top of the suspension that protrudes into the engine bay, right? Well I looked on GSF* for the details of what to ask for when I order the parts, however I'm just confused...as it lists loads of different things! Can anyone clarify this for me? I don't expect someone to know the exact part numbers for a 1995 Corrado VR6, but if I could be given an idea so I don't go in and order random shit, then that'll be really helpful.

The same goes for the engine mounts (am going to order the front AND rear...are there any others?!) so, that should just be simple, right? Any idea of costs?

* Although we don't have GSF over here we have this http://www.pvautomotive.de/index.php which is basicaly a similiar German-kinda deal, however I was loooking on GSF for an idea what to ask and how muchish it would cost.

I'd go genuine VW on top mounts as the 3rd party ones don't last.

I think there are 2 types of mount, and you need the latest sort, plus bearings.

There is a front and rear engine mount, and a rear gearbox mount. I used a mk2 desiel gearbox mount from GSF as they are fairly highly rated for this job. The other 2 I'd get genuine though. Not going to be very cheap I'm afraid.

You'll need to fit them and start the engine with the bolts loose so the bounts can settle into the correct positions before finally tightening them up.

So the engine mounts are expensive from VW? About how much? The work itself is being done by some mates of mine, so I don't need to worry about labour costs.

What about the top mounts? Are they going to cost bucks?

Hi Mate, as toad says stick with the VW top mounts but as for the front engine mount i would strongly recomend a vibra technics version as it really does transform the feel of the car!

I suspect your mot tester shook the wheels in the air? its not a fail.

Vws of this generation are plagued by this. The design of top mount means that even with new parts you can get play in the top mounts with the wheels off the ground.

They should test with the wheels on the ground. Good luck trying to explain that to an MOT tester who is always right.

That said your top mounts may be worn so replacement might not be a bad idea!

I got mine done for 1995 VR6 after they came up as advisory in MOT for two years.

mounts part no. 357412331A (two) 23.16 plus VAT

bearings part no. 1J0412249 (two) 8.88 plus VAT

(That is price for pairs.)

Cheers.

The 'MOT' tester was English, so there was no usual language barrier, and the car passed its roadworthyness test fine, just with the examiner pointing out I needed to change the top mounts, the engine mount(s) I know I need to replace as there is a thud if/whenI smash the gas pedal in 1st gear :shock:

KIPVW

Whats the deal with a Vibratec mount dude? I've done a quick google search and the ones for a Mk3 Golf VR6 are £150! I don't profess to be knowledgeable about these things, but is it worth buying an aftermarket part? Any idea how much the standard Volkswagen part is?

craigowl Cheers for the headsup dude, can't believe how cheap that is. Awesome. Was that at Volkswagen? :cheers:

The vibra technics mount is around the same price as a standard mount mate so much better to fit one of these anyway!

The vw one is a large rubber bush that has a hole drilled through it, not moulded as often thought so as you guessed it can be an obvious week spot.

I bought mine from C&R in Nottingham, who arranged delivery direct from the manufacturers and it arrived in 3 days :clap:

didnt take too long to fit but you need to jack up the engine a bit to release pressure on the mounting to be able to remove it.

Do it mate you will not regret it!

I went to Volkswagen today and orderd some parts, the top mounts I think I have covered, however I was unsure about the mounts.

I took the dude out to the car and showed him where the front mount and rear (gearbox?!) mount is and he printed off a ETKA layout of what looks like the bottom half of my engine bay. There are 3 parts that make up the front mount (no.9 on the printout)about 50 Euros and then the gearbox mount (no.19 on the printout) also about 50 Euros. Does that sound right? I thought these things cost about £150?! :confused4: