djmac56

djmac56's Golf n Corrado - bye Corrado, Hello Aston! Pics P7!

I know this isn't a 4motion Gallery, but I wanted to show some photos of my daily driver....

Car the day after I bought it - Original wheels without polish or wax

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSC00665.JPG[/attachment:2j0whyib]

Then waxed on LM reps:

DSC00942.JPG[/attachment:2j0whyib]

Edited by djmac56

Thanks Colin,

The car was always a sound, well maintained example, but was let down by the smell of a French Exchange student from the previous owner smoking what must have been woodbines or gitanes or something. He's also burned the leather which is horrible to do to nice Recaros.

I did some research and found a local place that cleans and recolours leather, as well as panel repair. I decided to shell out £300 quid to get it done as the car just felt underloved with it's smelly, tired interior.

Now it looks bright and clean and smells good too!

I knew the place would do a good job - they had old astons, rollers, lambos and jags in, and the staff included some old guys as well as young whippersnappers. I like to see craftsmenship in a place like that, and it was great to know that the old boys were still able to take a pride in my car, even though it's just a VW.

OK, some of you will have heard about these bad boys in another thread - here is my ceremonial disrobing of 'em.

ETKA Corrado.pdfDSC00220.JPG[/attachment:9fje49ia]

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfDSC00221.JPG[/attachment:9fje49ia]

Corrado92.pdfDSC00223.JPG[/attachment:9fje49ia]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfDSC00225.JPG[/attachment:9fje49ia]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSC00230.JPG[/attachment:9fje49ia]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSC00232.JPG[/attachment:9fje49ia]

DSC00240.JPG[/attachment:9fje49ia]

What size tyres should I go for?

195 45 R16 or 225 40 R16 ?

Or something else?

205/45/16, good job with the leather, very nice 8)

What size tyres should I go for?

195 45 R16 or 225 40 R16 ?

Or something else?

205/45/16, good job with the leather, very nice 8)

/\ /\ /\

DITTO

Matt :grin:

These are gonna look great. Going to have to sort a set out.. best get saving!

Aargh - it looks like Wednesday is the soonest I can get the tyres I need, so they wont be on the car til next Weekend now!

Arsenschaften!

As you know I haven't a clue about modified stuff and couldn't appreciate one wheel from another but..... I recon that these will look wonderful.

A standard wheel but that little bit bigger as 15s are so tiny now a days.

Looking forward to seeing the after pics.

As you know I haven't a clue about modified stuff and couldn't appreciate one wheel from another but..... I recon that these will look wonderful.

A standard wheel but that little bit bigger as 15s are so tiny now a days.

Looking forward to seeing the after pics.

Thanks Judith, I think this is a subtle mod that will make the car look better. I will miss the look of my diamond cut 15s though!

hope you havent bought the tires yet but when i was running 16x7's the original vw sized tire was a 215 40 16. (this was on a mk3 golf gti anniversary wheel - 16x7... but the stock golf vr and solitudes came with identical sized tires and offests to the 15" speedlines so guesing vw put alot of time/money/effort into deciding that tire size)

I was running dunlop sp sport 9000's as i'd recently played with a 350z and thats the tires they use and i couldnt fault them - herisites has those wheels now but afaik they're still ok!

205 45's look too tall imo and you're getting a smaller contact patch!

to be fair though Andy, 95% of people run 7.5in 17s on 205 rubber so 7in 16s on 205 isn't that bad and gives you a bit more comfort than the 40 profile..?

to be fair though Andy, 95% of people run 7.5in 17s on 205 rubber so 7in 16s on 205 isn't that bad and gives you a bit more comfort than the 40 profile..?

yep v true mate :D i run my 17's on 205 40 17's as well - got to much scrubbage with 215 45 17's ... even ping'd that size on my new 8.5x17's last week and it works so the difference is negnigable!

I recently had some 7x16in with 215/40's on and the wheels looked lost in the arches however your car is lower so it might look ok. I think 205/45/16's are closer to the 205/50/15's are they not?

I haven't bought my tyres yet because I'm confused! A tyre calculator comparing 205 50 R15s and searching for suitable tyre sizes proposes the following - to fit a 7 inch wide 16" diameter wheel. They work by me typing in the current size and they "do the math".

Tyre code Diameter Circumference Difference

---------- -------- ------------- ----------

215/40 R16 578 mm 1816 mm -1.3 % (8.60cm side wall)

205/45 R16 591 mm 1857 mm 0.84 % (9.23cm side wall)

215/45 R16 600 mm 1885 mm 2.37 % (9.68cm side wall)

It seems like the 205 45 R16 is the best balance between circumference (for gearing and speedometer accuracy) and comfort because it is slap bang in the centre between the other two, but now I hear that 215 45 R16 is probably closer to what VW would advise for a 16x7 wheel!

But perhaps the general consensus is in favour of the 205 45 R15s.....

My head hurts. And with me looking at 90 quid a corner (I like to put the best tyre on I can afford), I don't want to get this wrong!

Help!

oh P.s. I am lowered by about 35mm on the gmax suspension from what I recall. My splitter is so low it could be used to lift coins off marble floors and I hate speedbumps almost as much as my sump does.

arrrhh suspense is killing me........would love a set of 16" speedlines :( .......look forward to seeing these on

I haven't bought my tyres yet because I'm confused! A tyre calculator comparing 205 50 R15s and searching for suitable tyre sizes proposes the following - to fit a 7 inch wide 16" diameter wheel. They work by me typing in the current size and they "do the math".

Tyre code Diameter Circumference Difference

---------- -------- ------------- ----------

215/40 R16 578 mm 1816 mm -1.3 % (8.60cm side wall)

205/45 R16 591 mm 1857 mm 0.84 % (9.23cm side wall)

215/45 R16 600 mm 1885 mm 2.37 % (9.68cm side wall)

It seems like the 205 45 R16 is the best balance between circumference (for gearing and speedometer accuracy) and comfort because it is slap bang in the centre between the other two, but now I hear that 215 45 R16 is probably closer to what VW would advise for a 16x7 wheel!

But perhaps the general consensus is in favour of the 205 45 R15s.....

My head hurts. And with me looking at 90 quid a corner (I like to put the best tyre on I can afford), I don't want to get this wrong!

Help!

oh P.s. I am lowered by about 35mm on the gmax suspension from what I recall. My splitter is so low it could be used to lift coins off marble floors and I hate speedbumps almost as much as my sump does.

£90 is a bit steep, have a look here >>http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s344p0 cant go wrong with Toyo's :wink:

Wow!

They were exactly the ones I had in mind!!!! The best I'd seen them for was 98 quid.

I owe you a pint or 10 for sending me that link!