Sign in to follow this  
horney

New wheels and I'm fed up :-(

So I got some brand new rims and tyres on thursday and fitted them that afternoon. As I fitted them I noticed one was flat and another had not been fitted the right way round. I was a bit annoyed but though it's annoying but I can get the one swapped round and I pumped the flat one up.

Crap phone pics of them on, at this point I'm well chuffed!

DSC00203.jpg

DSC00204.jpg

DSC00205.jpg

DSC00206.jpg

DSC00207.jpg

I get up yesterday morning and scheduled a trip to a tyre place to get the tyre swapped round in my lunch break so all 4 are pointing the right way. I go out and to go to work and dag nammit the other one is flat again. Not impressed. I pump it up with my foot pump then go to work. In my lunch break I get the wrong facing one swapped over and the flat one refitted with a new valve. Seems to be holding air fine. Excellent. Car feels transformed and handles so much better with the wider wheels and the tyres are much better than the ones on my old rims.

Get up this morning to wash the old girl for some photos and low and behold and f**king flat tyre again. I rang the supplier and they told me to send it back at my expense or drive to either of their branches (Manchester or north London) which are both miles from where I live.

Now I have already spent £17.50 getting it reseated, new valve and balanced (Plus getting the other tyre swapped round). So I didn't think I was being un reasonable in requesting a complete new alloy and tyre delivered to my work on monday with the same courier taking the old one back.

They won't do this as they apparently don't hold these wheels in stock, funny that they were able to ship them to me for next day delivery with tyres fitted when I rang up originally to order them. All they will do is collect the wheel from work and inspect before deciding what to do further. What's the betting I end up with them then wanting to charge me for a new tyre and not sending the rim back till I pay up or something.

So I am left to drive my car round on three new alloys and a 14" steel for a number of days, yeah that'll look great and not forgetting it'll drive like a bag'o'shite.

Me and my Mrs have very little spare cash and this was a hugely expensive purchase for me and I maxxed my budget. I'm proper annoyed that it's now costing me extra money and I'm having to put myself out and have my car look wank for a working week.

I'm really p!ssed off and it's really taken the shine off having a brand new set of rims on my car.

So if you're after some Audi/VW replica wheels DON'T use Hotline Motorsport in London or Manchester as they're not very good and their customer service sucks monkey pole.

Nick

Does look good on the new rims. Shame your having troubles. Can't u put the old ones back on for now?

Be careful on those Nangkang's in the wet. Caused massive understeer problems on my old Saxo :ignore:

Old ones are likely sold so I don't want to damage them.

The Nankangs seem OK in this size and spec. I've had some before on a MKII Golf and highly rated them in all conditions, ok not as good as something expensive but way better than all of the other cheapo brands.

nick

What sort of return policy do they have surely that would shit them up if you threaten to send them back plus if its down to them that the tyre is goin flat you shouldnt have to pay anyways plus you shouldnt have had to pay for there mistake in the first place.

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the company.

Consolation is those wheels look awesome on the car. Hope you can get it sorted soon mate.

I've been out for a pint and calmed down a bit now. The time to reject the whole lot is now sadly past really. The tyre fitters that refitted the tyres for me yesterday slightly marked both wheels getting the centre caps off (In there defence they're a total pig to get off) and I just know from talking to the manager of the alloy supplier on the phone that he's the sort that will make all this as hard work as possible for me. I should have sent them back they day the arrived due to the wrongly fitted tyre and one flat but I foolishly thought I could sort it myself for ;ess than £30 and save myself the hassle of returning them and waiting for another set. I'm a bit impatient!

I'm going to National Tyres in the morning and getting them to test the tyre and wheel and see what that comes up with. If it's the tyre I'll get a replacement ordered (£38 on camskill), get it fitted, try and get the money back from the supplier and chalk it up to experiance. If it's the rim then I'm going to have bite the bullet and try getting it sent back and go from there.

nick

Well I've had it checked and the tyre is leaking on a mold line on the side wall. Not repariable and clearly a manufacturing fault. National Tyres don't stock the same tyres so going to order one online and get it fitted in the week. I'll then invoice the wheel suppliers for the new tyre and fitting and tell them they can collect the old one from me if they want proof that the tyre was faulty from new.

Hassle, but at least the rim is not leaking!

Nick

Sorry to hear about all the troubles you've having Nick, they sound like a right bunch of shifty buggers. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Your wheels look really cool though, they 17s? I loved the looks of them on my car, but the 18s were just too much of a pig when it came to driving in a straight line!

You getting it sorted soon? I still have a couple of mine sitting around that you could whack on the back, temporary style.

I'm speaking to the guy tomorrow but I'm just going to sort myself this week and hope he pays up as I can't be doing with the hassle.

Your offer is most kind but I think yours are 5x100 yeah? These are 4x100 as it's a 2.0 16v not a VR.

Nick

Hey Nick

I think you will be lucky to get the money back for the tyre if they are as awkward as you say.

Think you would be best sending the faulty tyre back and getting them to send you a replacement. They will probably want it back anyway before they credited you. At least this way your guaranteed to get something from them! I would be after a new tyre plus £25 for my troubles.

Matt

I'm speaking to the guy tomorrow but I'm just going to sort myself this week and hope he pays up as I can't be doing with the hassle.

Your offer is most kind but I think yours are 5x100 yeah? These are 4x100 as it's a 2.0 16v not a VR.

Nick

No, they're multi fit, got 10 holes all round the hub, so I'm guessing they'd do 4x100. The offer stands mate if you wanna.

Hey Nick

I think you will be lucky to get the money back for the tyre if they are as awkward as you say.

Think you would be best sending the faulty tyre back and getting them to send you a replacement. They will probably want it back anyway before they credited you. At least this way your guaranteed to get something from them! I would be after a new tyre plus £25 for my troubles.

Matt

They want the whole wheel back and I can't really drive about with 3 alloys and a 14" Steel as I need the car for work. I think I'm just going to have to take the hit and ask for my money back for the tyre (or even a contribution for my hassle). I'll keep the old one so they can have it back to inspect it.

Nicki

Nick

No, they're multi fit, got 10 holes all round the hub, so I'm guessing they'd do 4x100. The offer stands mate if you wanna.

That'll be 5x100 and 5x120 if it's got 10 holes. Cheers though mate :)

Nick

Sending this email at 12:00.

Dear Sir/Madam.

On the 26/11/08 I ordered from yourselves a set of 17" RS4 replica wheels in 4x100 fitment fitted with tyres and delivered for £425. These wheels were received on thursday afternoon and inspected. Initial inspection showed nothing to be untoward and the delivery was signed for with the driver. Upon fitting the wheels to my car later on that day I discovered 2 problems. The first was that one of the tyres had been fitted incorrectly and that resulted in my having 3 wheels with tyres having the correct rotational pattern and 1 where the tyre was facing the wrong way. The 2nd issue was the one of the tyres seemed to be a little a flat. I put both problems down as simple errors by your staff that I could remedy myself by pumping up soft tyre and having the other one removed and refitted to face the correct way. I was slightly annoyed but never the less happy with the wheels.

On Friday morning it became apparent that the flat tyre was not due to under inflation before leaving your premises but due to a fault as without even driving the car it was flat in the morning. At this point I assumed that it was either not quite sealed correctly or the valve was faulty so I decided to get the tyre reseated with a new valve at the same time as having the other tyre swapped round. This was duly done on my lunch break on friday. I was therefore disappointed to find on Saturday morning that yet again the same tyre had lost most of it's pressure over night.

At this point I telephoned your manchester branch and spoke with Dave who explained my only options were to return the wheel and tyre for inspection or to drive to either of your branches. Neither of these options were acceptable to me as both would have resulted in me spending money on the incorrectly fitted tyre and trying to resolve the leaking one. I then later on spoke with a gentleman, who's name I did not get, who said he was the manager. I explained that I felt the best resolution for all involved was for a new alloy and tyre to be delivered to my work address on monday and the same courier collect and return the faulty item to yourselves. I was told this was not possible as you do not hold stock of these wheels. Strange then that you are able to deliver next day when someone purchases a set, but not when someone has a problem with one. The gentleman explained the only way forward was for a courier to collect the faulty wheel and tyre and return it to yourselves for inspection before taking any further action. Needless to say I was not happy with this situation as I am unable to use my car on 3 wheels and the spare is a space saver which limits the usage of the car considerably. It was left that I would receive a phone call this morning to arrange for this matter to be resolved. As of midday today I have yet to receive this call.

I decided to investigate the issue with the faulty rim further myself and on Sunday I took the rim and tyre to my Local National Tyres and Exhausts centre. They inspected the rim and tyre and confirmed that the tyre had a leak in the sidewall in several places along a moulding line clearly indicating the tyre to be faulty due to a manufacturing defect.

I have therefore ordered a new Nankang NS-1 205 40 R17 tyre for this wheel at a cost of £43 incl delivery. I will arrange for the tyre to be fitted and the faulty tyre will be kept and you can make arrangements for it to be collect from myself for inspection by your fitters. Once you have confirmed that it is indeed faulty I will be looking forward to receiving some recompense for the extra outlay I have had to make. I ordered 4 wheels and tyres that could be fited straight to my car for a cost of £425 delivered and this is what I budgeted for but not what I got. When I ordered the wheels from your company I was not expecting to have to spend more money for what I should have received in the first place.

I am fully aware of my rights under the various acts which cover consumer purchases and distance selling and I will be happy to explore these further if an amicable solution to my issues are not reached in a suitable time scale.

Best regards,

Nick Horne

What you guys think?

Nick