Sign in to follow this  
JMC

Most pointless mod.... ever

Keep going mate, I'm sure the purists will stop you before your interior looks like this:

kif9473vf0.jpg

Not that you don't have any taste of course ;)

Ooo, wow, that is so cool. Now where's my lunch money :lol:

Still think I can get a bit more red in mine and not have it look tacky though.

"Holla at your boi, wesssssstttwooooooooooooooooooooooooooood"

looks cool, i think its a nice touch, i would like one after seeing yours now

"Holla at your boi, wesssssstttwooooooooooooooooooooooooooood"

looks cool, i think its a nice touch, i would like one after seeing yours now

Nothing wrong with a bit of pimpin' :lol: and thanks for the comment. I must admit I really don't want to make any more as it wasn't easy (although to be fair most of the work was in making the icons sheet in photoshop), but if people want I can put up how I did it. Also, after Christmas when I have a bit of time spare, I may (just may), be tempted to do a limited run on making these - say 10 - if there is sufficient interest.

Will do Simon. Sorry, I misled you a bit the other night saying I'd never do another one :oops: . Now I've had chance to mull it over, I think it would be special to do just a few :D .

Just to let you know Simon, I have put you on the list in my thread in the Supplier Section. I'll be starting making them in the New Year, as I am chocka until then, but will let you know when I start doing them :D

Now who was it who said 'indicator stalk, now there's a pointless mod' :lol: . To be clear, this made changing the spoiler switch look like changing a fuse, and I'll not be doing it again... Apart from when I do the MFA stalk to match :D

yep il have them....................

johnathan you cant post pics etc like that and then say naaaa actually im not making anymore..................

i will taunt you until you make some !!!!!!!!!!!!! :notworthy:

Cheers guys - I seem to have done all the easy ones already though, they are getting harder and harder each time now :lol:. That MFA one is going to be an absolute pain - really complex design and no space inside because of all the existing switch gear.

Thanks Simon. I must admit it was harder than I thought it was going to be. Even then I managed to get it not quite lined up right (as you can see from the horizontal lines on the headlight icon not being quite as bright as the rest). Really don't know with the MFA stalk - can't even get into the damn thing at the moment :?

there's not normally lights in the stalks right? also I want a set in red :D I've also noticed the old thread for shift lights which also look mint

If you're definitely not going to be doing any more of these would you consider a "howto" or some sort of guide detailing exactly whats involved so that other people can benefit?

Cheers.

Ian

Here's a quick outline of what is required. Get a coffee :wink: .....

Get a high res picture of the icons you are wanting to modify.

Into Photoshop and play around with it until you get a clean, black and white image, the right shape etc. You want black everywhere except the icons which should be white so it comes out clear (expect to spend about an hour doing this right).

Resize so it prints at the correct size, and print 4 copies on acetate, 2 normal and 2 reflected horizontally.

Cut out and leave a bit of black all around. Stick them back to back (hence the need to have 2 normal and 2 reflected) making sure they line up. Sticking them back to back protects the printed side.

This is hard as they are small. Then stick the 2 pairs together, so it is 4 layers thick.

Dremel/cut out the parts of the stalk you want to replace.

Line the inside with acetate, and a piece of white paper (helps diffuse the light and makes the icons look white when not illuminated).

Few layers of clear acetate, to bring up the height so it's fluch with the surroundings.

The icon sheet on top of that.

Filler round the edge. Dry, sand, fill, dry sand fill, etc iuntil its smooth.

Primer, sand, primer, sand. Paint, sand, paint, remove excess paint from the icons, lacquer.

THEN.....

Think about the lighting. Led's, ideally 120 degree diffused ones. Spend ages, bending leads, positioning, bending leads again so they line up. Do the contortionists act of getting them inside the bit needed, along with a resistor and wiring.

Make sure it still works.

You'll need, double sided tape, dremel, sharp (and mean sharp) scissors, filler, primer, black paint, lacquer, leds, wiring, power supply (for testing), soldeing iron, solder, insulating tape, tweezers, wire strippers, etc. etc.

As I say, it takes time. I've done a few mods like this now, and it took me 5 evenings to do that stalk....

Cheers guys, and you know I'm sure I've missed some bits out too - that seems too short :lol: :lol:

JMC? CAn you do anything for the terrible round LEDS at the bottom of the clocks, ie replace them with some proper symbols which light up in the appropriate colour?