Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Audio-scape... Speaker recommendations

Audioscape pods, is there any difference between early and late versions apart from the window switch holes??

Unsure if this was ICE or Interior! :lol:

*Edit: updated for what speaker to put in now?*

Ok these will hopefully be happening soon!

So what's your recommenedations for speakers? Looking at 2/3ways as removed the Dash Tweeters...

I used Genesis Audiophiles and they sound lovely in the enclosures. I've stuck the tweeters in the factory locations - it was very simple to do and doesn't add much time to installation

Depends what your headunit is dude...I also think damplifier makes a big difference.

Another highly useful post from me :D

Ok maybe should have said I'm not going for SQL quality, just a bit more front fill than factory sized Alpines give me... all I want is to listen to music on the move... not set off alarms or start earthquakes...

Will be run from Pioneer DEH77MP headunit, no amps, no subs, and Stock wiring... Running Pioneer 6x9' in rear which I'll probably replace with some Infinity kappas when I can...

Think I might still have some Infinity Referance 6"'s at home somehwere too!

So not Mega money speakers please...

6.5in drivers needed for the Audioscape pods, (if you're buying second hand anyways).

The Rainbox SLXi (I think) 6.5 components are very nice and not a lot of dosh (relatively speaking).

Rainbows or the like should suffice, id go with DLS though but its all down to taste. Tbh i really wouldn't have bothered with the pods unless your putting in some really nice components or you paid piss all for the pods (250 new right?). Deaden your doors and amp up any speakers you have, a 4 channel amp can be had for as little as 50 quid (Cheaper if u want shite stuff).

Oh and SQL quality wont exist regardless of the speakers you use unless you use a seperate amp but thats another story!

EDIT: Before anyone questions this ill answer any possible questions myself. You really need good midbass output to have any half decent sq, midbass wont be powerfull and clear with 25 odd rms going into the speakers (on music you can make that 15-20 watts rms). Midbass is your friend. Its the bass frequencys that are really drowned out by road noise so more power and deadening will help lots! The mid and high frequencys on the other hand dont dissapear so easily and can be adjusted to suit with either your EQ or with different tweeter positioning.

My 6.5"s in my polo were recieving 160 RMS each side. I kept my sub off half the time when just doddling about trying to be discreet lol! Oh and just because im really proud of this :lol: , too keep up with my new SQL needs, im going to give the mids i have ready for when i get a Rado 310rms per side. Lets see how long they last :D

Just my 2 pence buddy.

Abdul :)

And i thought i was running my 2 way component set hard with 1 Phoenix Gold Titanium 1000/2 which gives 250w RMS @ 4 ohm. I was going to run 1 of those left and 1 right with a 3 way kit but not got that far yet.

Also worth noting with a sub you need to get a good blend with the fronts, as i turn my sub up it actually sounds like the fronts are giving out more mid bass.

Me too. I've only got 140w RMS :lol:

If you're using headunit power I wouldn't bother with 6.5s and the faff of the pods personally. Maybe stick a couple of sheets of deadening material in the doors but call it a day there. Choose a nice efficient speaker though - something designed to be driven from the head unit.

I use head unit powered Orion 6x4s in the stock loactions in the back. They run at 3ohm to make the most of the h/u power: http://www.orioncaraudio.com/Products/P ... ductID=531

Thay also do a 5.25 and 6.5 version.

:shock: Rainbows are £100+

Rainbow 6.5 come in about £50??

Like the Inifity Kappa 653.7i any-one got any experience of these?

J, i hate the infinitys mate, midbass is poor and muddled and the tweeters are harsh to the point where i felt like facing them backwards so they fire into the doorcard in my mates car lol. But you can make anything sound good. Its all down to your installation. Seriously, purchase some sound deadening of some sort and let me fiddle with your eq. Id still advice an amp aswell, they'll always sound sloppy otherwise imo. Amp em up and watch your music come to life!! 8)

Junkie: I was thinking of using the smaller amp i have for my tweets/horns but 160rms per tweet is excessive lol. :lol: 3 way one day, just cant be arsed with the hastle of setting it up to sound right!

I initially had the intention to fit the 9-5-1 Phoenix Gold 3 way kit but never did, bottled fitting the 9" mid bass drivers into the doors, if i can find a set i think i will go that way still or the Focal 6-6-1 not sure yet. Dump the sub and have mid bass from hell, thats all i want really and i have 2 1000/2's so should be good for the power front.

i'm installing the Audioscape pods (thanks Coxxylad) in my car - should i get a separate amplifier for them? if so, does anyone have one for sale? How many channels, 2 or 4? I dont want to blow out any windows just to have a good soundscape and depth to the music.

If you’re going to the trouble of fitting the decent pods to allow you to have 6.5 drivers I’d recommend you externally amplify them. You can have a 2 channel (obviously) or a 4 channel amp. If you have a 4 you can bridge 2 of the channels into two if you’re only running a pair of speakers. This way, you can amp a sub or another pair of speakers from the same amp at a later date – more versatile. There are hundreds of amps out there and most will sound a lot better than just using h/u amplification. I use Alpine amps as they’re relatively cheap and give good power (always more than stated in the brochure). Sound quality is driven by installation as much as the kit itself.

thanks for that Neil. Looking at the Car Audio Direct site they have amps from £50 - are they worth it or not much of a step up from the standard HU?

They will be a step up but not worth it imo. You are better off getting a second hand unit for that price, talk audio classifieds are extremely good in that respect. I can highly recomend the old school gold and slver rockford fosgate amps in the style below. They were produced circa 1998 and are from an era when rockford was building to a specification rather than a price. Extremely solid amps imo just dont look great. If you youo get one they also hold their value and you can always sell on They used to retail at £600 upwards but now they can be picked up from about £50 depending on teh individual model.

iamsellp7500768n1.jpg

dont look too bad to mee, especially if it will be out of sight. Do you know of any for sale? And yep £50ish is my budget so second hand will be the way to go!

I just fitted a set of MB Quart Discus series 6.5" components into Audioscape pods, tweeters mounted in the stock dash position.

They sound rather nice indeed. :D

Amped from the boot, 4ch Alpine bridged into 2ch at 120w rms per ch @ 4ohms.

Used some "Skins" deadening about a week after the install and the difference the deadening makes is amazing.

Should've done it when the doorcards came off to fit the pods but thought i'd get away without it.

I wouldn't recommend fitting any kind of upgrade to the sound before deadening the doors.

Really wouldn't bother with the 'pods if your not gonna externally amplify, and think about sound deadening.

HTH

Have to agree with all of the above.

Really no point buying bigger pods and decent comps if you're not going to amp them up.

What do you guys reckon to Genesis stuff?

Awesome kit. I haven't used the amps but they're got a very good rep. I use their Audiophile speakers and I've used their slightly cheaper Profile component speakers too and I rate them both very highly indeed. On par with JL Audio VRs which were my 'benchmark' in terms of sound