Sign in to follow this  
lilfuzzer

Re-trimming pillars

Hi there all, anyone re-trimmed there interior a,b,c pillars?

Was wondering if someone has, How have you managed to get round the 90 degree angle of the b pillar?

Any advice would be class. Dis think of putting a join in to get round it cause its the only thing I can up with and so much deliberating.

Many thanks :salute:

Some vinyls are really stretchy when heated - you could have a word with Audioscape and se what they recommend (they do sell vinyl for trimming. The other option might be cut and stitch, but I can imagine that would be a right pain to get it to look nice. I cheated in the end and just resprayed them. Looks perfectly alright and cost me about £20 to do.

Some vinyls are really stretchy when heated - you could have a word with Audioscape and se what they recommend (they do sell vinyl for trimming. The other option might be cut and stitch, but I can imagine that would be a right pain to get it to look nice. I cheated in the end and just resprayed them. Looks perfectly alright and cost me about £20 to do.

Cheers matey already trimmed the a and b pillars so guess I'll have to try and do a tidy joint if no one else comes up with something. Have you got any pics of yours sprayed would be interested in seeing them.

Do you know if any of the fake suede has some strech in it?

Not sure mate I have been using leatherette and there is a bit of stretch that has enabled ne to do the others 'easily'. Are you planning on using fake suede for yours?

Cheers matey already trimmed the a and b pillars so guess I'll have to try and do a tidy joint if no one else comes up with something. Have you got any pics of yours sprayed would be interested in seeing them.

Here you go mate - not the best shot I am afraid, but hopefully you get the idea (it started off as the usual beigy grey colour).

Ah right did you spray the headlining too?

Yep, although if I had the time I would prefer to retrim it properly. Spraying is Ok on the headlining, but not hard wearing. Works fine on the pillars though.

Trimmed the headlining already too looks pretty good for my first time so quite happy. Decided to go with the car colour thats way I had a problem with spraying because of matching the leatherette. Will post some pics when I get them on the puter.

hey,this looks gud, leatherette does stretch when you apply heat.....but i suggest you try a piece out first so you get the hang of it, too much heat melts or stretch wrong leaving marks.

Tips.

1. Leave plenty material(underside) around the pillar.

2. Glue one side down

3. Using heat gun/hair dryer (dryer takes longer)

4. Gentle heat both material (underside) and pillar,

5. Apply glue, keep the material(top side) and pillar warm/hot

6. Stretch glue down, still applying keep heat

7. Mould into shape

takes time,

oh forgot to say, when gluing the material to the underside, keep plenty material or it will just cool down and pull around.

all the best, get some pics up.

bob

Quick update then a pillars and c pillars done headlining done and sowed the b pillar trims ready trim glue. Thanks for the tips Bob. will get some more pics when I continue this weekend. Doing it in the loft after headling was done so pretty dark and cold up there. I have had to make some trim for the bottom of the rear doors cards because the rear skins were missing the bottom half. Hopefully will look ok for now.

nice idea :)

what glue did you use to stick it on the pillars, evo stick?

and how did you go about doing the headlining? is it glued or stiched on?

nice idea :)

what glue did you use to stick it on the pillars, evo stick?

and how did you go about doing the headlining? is it glued or stiched on?

At first tried double sidedcarpet tape but didnt work so used spary glue and pegged it to keep it in place see some progress pics below.

Used the carpet tape on the material side of the healdining and spray glue on the back side.

I am really chuffed with the results since my first time trying re-trimming the photos dont do it justice me thinks

Oh any ignore the foot prints on the headlining needed Our lass to help putting it up.

The pic of the door card shows that there was no going back once took the plastic lower half off dont think I could pull off the cardboard look! :lol:

Put the trim in the car at the weekend and started the door cards and finished stitching and gluing the b pillars Sunday, try and ignore the fosters can in one of the pics. Remember drink responsibly when working around the loft hatch! :lol:

good work Chris, keep it up man....

Cheers buddy I am really pleased with how it is turning out looks like! Shame I couldnt get the material that we talked about on way to Santa Pod but will keep looking and if I find some I will prob do another set so I can swap whenever i like. Damn this pervert in me! :lol:

Shame mate - why not. I didnt say owt because I didnt want to give away yr idea.... still will look good for next time i see ya!

Shame mate - why not. I didnt say owt because I didnt want to give away yr idea.... still will look good for next time i see ya!

Yeah gonna keep that one under the hat for future use, it just doesnt seem available anymore in loads of colour range.

Looking forward to next years shows already!

Hows yours still nicely tuck up in bed!

loving the pegs.......i used bulldog clip lol.....looks gud mate, well done.

Cheers buddy defo not going run out of pegs for washing from now on though! :lol:

Mate ive made 2 pans of it now!! Cant get enough of it, think we should have a panac cook off! :chef:

& of course a few :drinking:

Merry Crimbo by the way dude :D

couldnt you do the whole rear panel instead of half? ......i might do all cards, pillers and rooflining when im bored and then ebay it....