Sign in to follow this  
imyhamid

Wanted, your thoughts on........

Hi all looking at selling the VR and buying a MKV Golf R32, just wondered if anyone has driven one, what they are like to drive and just any genral thoughts on the car itself. I've seen a 06 plate in silver that i am considering going to see. Its a manual as i would prefer with leather, sat-nav etc. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers Imran

Very nice cars.

I have driven both the manual and DSG flavours and personal preference, I'd take the manual, but the DSG is very good though....so long as you leave it in manual mode. For my style of driving, I find the auto mode irritating. I also find the overly sharp throttle response irritating, but with time you'll get used to it.

It's a curious car overall. Not quite Audi A3 levels of refinement, but still very well put together, despite people saying it's not made as well as the MK4. I find the opposite to be true. The trouble is, it just feels like any old common or garden Golf until you crack the throttle open, and then and only then is it something special. It really is quite dull at urban speeds to be truthful. Nothing like as communicative and feelsome as the corrado overall.

Feels very heavy in the corners too, but very, very grippy.

Engine feels very grunty at low rpms, but flat past 4000rpm (imo). Still has the VR6's slight off beat idle, although a little smoother in the cabin.

Personally speaking.....I'd take the GTI over the R32 every time.

Cheers for your comments, interesting though i was considering the Gti too but have been looking at the prices of the R32 and they are dropping very fast. Just really fancy the R32 after having a VR, I'm still considering selling the VR but i'm so attached to it i cant bare to see it go as i know i'm going to miss it. The old girl has got loads of life left in her (87000 miles) but i just think i fancy a change. I've considered everything from convertions to turbo/supercharging her but really like the MKV golf. going to go to the stealers and take a test drive and see how it feels. I appreciate your views.

I know what you mean. I've considered getting rid of mine so many times, but I can't do it. Corrados just suck you in and that's it!

The MK5 R32 is a very, very nice car, don't get me wrong. I'm certain you'd love it. You will be immediately impressed with the build quality, refinement and interior in comparison to the Corrado, but on the road, you will definitely feel like something's missing. If at all possible, I'd try and keep hold of the Corrado and get the R32 as an addition, but that's a big ask financially. Why not try the GTI too? You'll find that a lot more nimble through the corners. Not as quick as the R32 out of the box, but a remap will soon put you ahead of the R32's pace.

Unless you really, really want the V6 and 4WD, the GTI is definitely the best all rounder imo :D

Forgot to say, you'll find the ride quality of the Golf infinitely better too, although the Corrado's family "DNA" is still there in terms of twitchiness over bumps etc :D

Get yourself over to www.golfgti.co.uk and hav a look in the MKV section, some good tips on getting a hefty discount on one. A few folks have been picking up brand new un registered R32's for less than the price of a used MKV GTi!

Nick

I was gonna say actually for the price you would get for the VR :( , even with the low miles you have on yours Imran, surely its worth considering running both......I run my VR as a second car and not doing many miles in it really keeps the costs down !!!

good luck with it either way, nice choice to have.....dropping R32 prices the great benefits of the so called credit crunch. :lol:

Yeh the price of VR's even with low miles and full history are dreadful. I think i will keep it i'll just take it back home to Scotland and park it up in my parents garage, just have to make some space though as my little bro has a few vw's of his own stored away!!!!! I just feel that it would be such a shame as its an amazing car to drive and whether it be me driving it or selling it on so someone else can get the pleasure of it. I'll have to think about it. I have the cash for an R32 waiting so selling the VR was just an option so its not parked up. :scratch:

I have often entertained the idea of a mk5 GTi. We had one p/xed at our Toyota dealership and whilst very nice indeed and rather tempting (as I could get my hands on it for trade money) I knew that I'd be driving it one day and I'd pass someone in a Rado and I would wish I was in that instead. So, bought another G60 and put the money in a savings account ready for when I finally buy a house. And I drive everywhere in my sub £2000 17 year old sports coupe with a big inane grin on my face that no other car has put there yet. :D

Does it have to be a mkV? LCR's are going pretty cheep, would give you pleanty of grin factor and will leave enough budget for keeping the VR and treating it to as few fun bits and bobs...

Shame you're so far away as I'd be happy to let you take mine for a blast to see what you think!

Having been able to drive both a MKV R32, GTI, and GTI Edition 30 at the age of 20 (working for Volkswagen does help :D ) I would say I was most impressed with the Edition 30 GTI. I think that the R32 does lack something compared to the GTI's although that noise from the 3.2 V6 is incredible. I think that speed wise an Edition 30 isnt that far behind the R32 and with a few bits and bobs you could easily get it well above the R32.

One solution could be maybe to stick the R32 engine in the rado and maybe go crazy and synchro it? Best of both worlds then? :D