Sign in to follow this  
iandavidcassidy

banging noise vr6

took my vr6 on the motorway for first time today. Shocked that when i got the car over 65-70 mph the is a very wierd noise coming from the left side rear wheel arch area. (not too sure)

It sounds like somthing banging and as if things keep falling off. A kind of "tumbling" noise best heard with the window shut. It stops under 70mph then starts again above.

it was very scarery. any ideas would be great as i can't find anything on it?

cheers

Could also be a buckled wheel. You wouldn't necessarily notice it at lower speeds or through the steering.

Could be a noisey raer wheel bearing also. If you spin the wheel by hand with the car off the deck you will be able to hear it drone slightly.

none of those things. there is slight movement if i push the exhaust.(should this be rock steady?)

I took it out today and it's intermittantly still there. Sounds more like a horse trotting.

any more ideas?

Sounds more like a horse trotting.

Ah, then its probably not the car at all....

As you aproach the speed where the noise occurs, check your mirrors and blind-spot, if it is what i think it is then you will see a group of men skipping along beside the car (dressed as knights) with coconut halfs in each hand which they clap together - thats your noise :)

Sounds more like a horse trotting.

Ah, then its probably not the car at all....

As you aproach the speed where the noise occurs, check your mirrors and blind-spot, if it is what i think it is then you will see a group of men skipping along beside the car (dressed as knights) with coconut halfs in each hand which they clap together - thats your noise :)

LOL, don't give up your day job mate!

The exhaust shouldn't rock solidly mounted, unless some plum has done that themselves. BY default, the VR exhaust is mounted on relatively soft rubbers. There could be a possibility the mounting bar on the pre-axle box has snapped off. Very common on the VR exhaust as it's heavy difficult to weld to, being a Stainless/aluminiumised steel hybrid.

Get it on a ramp and check it out....

K