Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Finally getting a daily driver..

My old man was going to soon be finally in a position to sell his trusty old workhorse H reg Mercedes 200TE. He's had it about 7 years, it's done 200,000 miles and gets only the bare minimum maintenance yet it runs as sweet as a nut and every single interior piece of trim is in place and all the switchgear works. It could do with some bodywork doing (odd bit of rust starting to show on the wings and on the leading edge of the bonnet) He said he was planning to sell it but didn't think it was worth much (£200) - I realised it might be an excellent time to buy a daily at that sort of price (given as it still has tax and has not long had the MOT done) - and as it'd be staying in the family and he didn't have to bother with selling it, he said he wants me to have it FOR FREE. Superb!

I can finally do the unthinkable. Take the Corrado off the road and work on it as a project. I'm thrilled. Now do I sell the 2.0 16v and FINALLY trade up to a VR whilst the prices are favourable? :)

Should hopefully be getting it in January some time!

good news Jim, I reckon you should go for the VR, especially as you've already had a G60 and valvers :)

I reckon a standard VR will cost you more to run and maintain than a valver but ultimately it's the one to have.

What happened to the Fiat then?

have a very merry Christmas :x-mas:

I'd still have a Fiat 500 if I wanted a new car, but I'd be a fool if I passed up a reliable, practical FREE car! :)

Thing is I've spent a lot on the valver... And values on them suck at the minute. It's be nice to rebuild and tweak a 16v engine.. But I've wanted a VR since forever... Hmmm....

I already bought a big TV for myself for Christmas. ANOTHER car would be pushing it a bit! :)

I know what you mean mate. And it would be awesome to rebuild the valver. Why don't you turbo it or something? But then you still wouldn't get the VR noise....

VR's are rubbish.

Honestly, they drink fuel, make loads of noise and go much much faster than the speed limit which is bad for the earth.]

What you really want to do is sell the other C and get a Fiat Panda.

Lovely little economical thing.

For the sheer costs involved (as I simply do not have the skills / patience to do that work myself) and with VR prices as they are, I might as well just buy a VR! :)

You got anything in particular in mind Jim? Colour? Interior? Or see what turns up.

If you want a hand to do chains and tensioners etc, give me a shout...

Nice one Jim, those old Mercs are built like tanks so 200K is nothing.

One corrado not expensive enough for you John? :lol:

I reckon mine has to be worth a grand.. Despite a few small problems I've done lots and lots to it and everything works. Regarding a VR, would really like one in nice gay violet or blackberry.. or flash red again! :) cheers for the offer of help with that job, toad :)

If / when it comes time to sell it, the forum will definately be the place I try to sell it first!

thing is if you keep the valver what are you actually going to do to it.... also will you start regretting it after ploughing a few grand into it????

also tuning wise best option would be to turbo the 16v which is a lot of fun but a lot of money, you WILL get a decent VR for less!

also the free car will not be free in the long run as im sure your aware!

i think keep the rado and forget abt the other car unless your going to do something special in the long run

or

forget the above and just do whatever your heart says and forget the head ;)

Well the free car will owe me nothing off the bat. I don't plan to do anything other than the bare minimum to keep it on the road. So I'll just drive it whilst it works, and scrap it when it doesn't.

Regarding heart vs head.. Head says valver as I've spent money on it, and friends have spent lots of time under it working on it. But heart says VR.. and always has.