Sign in to follow this  
Phil K

New car decission ahoy! Help me!?!

Right I've been getting itchy fingers again and am hankering after something different so I've just been to look at an Avus Silver Audi TT (225) with full black leather 8)

Performance wise it feels slightly slower in a straight line than the LCR (transmission loss through Haldex or different power delivery?) but in the corners you can really feel the difference the 4wd provides!

All in all I think I've fallen for it and although it's a couple of years older than my LCR it has 20K less miles on the clock which is nice as the LCR is nearly due an expensive cam belt and water pump change...

So the good points, lower mileage, better in the corners for grip with the current conditions, slightly less crashy ride, heated leather, coupe, better build quality, possibly less depreciation and dare I say it more potential for modifying!

Bad points, 2 years older, unusable excuse for a back seat (not always a disadvantage), hairdresser image?, group 18 insurance (rather than the current group 17) and will be extending my finance agreement for a further 2 years...

The TT's up for a touch under 11K and I've been offered 6K for the LCR so it's not too much of a leap!

Further to that if anyone wants my LCR for £6K then let me have the cash ASAP and it's yours!

Need to make a decision in the next couple of days as insurance is due for renewal next week so it would make sense to do this now!

I would imagine that you'd sell a 55plate curpa r for £6k within minutes to be honest.

As for the TT, some can look pretty nice, my cousin has one and i wasnt overly impressed with the 4wd system to be honest, had a lot of understeer in comparison to my rado. If i had around £11k to spend i'd be looking at mk4 R32's, but then they're a completely different car to a TT so depends what you're looking for really, they are well built though, no denying that.

Greeny, thought you may pop up and say that :lol:

Spotted you over on the TT forum too! How you getting on with it?

Kad, I did consider the 3.2's but the engine size (although not an issue to me) would bother the wife - as far as she's concerned a 1.8 is more economical and I don't bother her with information on turbo size etc :lol:

To me a switch to an A3 or R32 would only be a sideways move from the LCR as it's still only a fast hatch...

I don't understand why you'd go to an older TT with less performance, and something that's much more common on the roads. The LCR at least is quite individual in comparison.

If it were my money, I'd keep the LCR until I could get something properly different.

Jim , I know what you're saying but I the problem I have with the LCR is that there's very little I'd change with it and it just doesn't have that 'special' feeling when you're behind the wheel... where as the TT has more potential for putting my own stamp on it and as per my 'missing the C' thread I really want to be back in a coupe or something a little bit special!

WalEsy I guess I have made the decission but it's always nice to have other ideas thrown in or be talked out of it before it's too late :lol:

350Z? I know its not a vadge, but with your budgie and requirements i'd certainly be having a peek at them, much more 'special' :camp: than a TT IMO

With Jim on this one- would never swap a LCR for an old shape TT... not in a million years! Also agree with Walesy- a 350Z is defo worth a look. Or how about an old shape M Coupe? Or XKR?

I'd go for an S3 rather than a TT if you wanted to stick with VAG product - always thought the TT, in MK1 guise anyway was more form over function - can't argue with you on the feeling of quality you get though

Hmmm you dont seem to be getting much of an 'upgrade' for your 5k :scratch:

If I was in the market for an 11k car I would defo go for a 350Z or if I needed more room and better mpg a Mk5 GTi with DSG and then a Morego conversion.

Looking at current TT prices I would have thought you will lose a big chunk of money in depreciation over the next couple of years. Whatever you go for though It will still be a v-nice motor :D

Agreed with bcstudent. I'd at least get a Revo trial map on the LCR (seeing as it won't cost you jack) to see how you like the extra performance, and see if it puts that smile back on your face.

I'm not out to slate the TT as I really like them, especially the new shape ones. I just don't see it as an upgrade.. an older car, with less performance, arguably less caché, and costing you the value of your car all over again.

it may not be what you want to hear - but i'm 100% with Jim on this one i'm afraid.

granted the TT is a nice car, and i appreciate you want to feel a bit special again (:lol:) - sorry!

anyway - you (in my eyes) really wouldn't be getting much of an upgrade for such a large cash layout. i would definitely hold onto the leon if it was me - you don't see many of them and they are lovely cars, as i'm sure you know.

if you're desperate for a change, why not save the 5 grand you would spend on a TT, sell the Leon for the 6k as mentioned and just use the 6k to buy the mintest 'rado you can find - you said yourself you were missing it.

that way you can use the 5k if you need it to sort out any problems that may develop with the C. you should be able to get hold of an immaculate C with all potential problems sorted if you're waving the likes of 6k around. that way you're happy in returning to rado ownership again and feeling special again, you won't suffer from further finance (not to mention the horrible depreciation newer cars suffer) and you'll have a car that should be immaculate if you have that sort of money to throw at it.

(my rado will shortly be back on the road having had more or less everything sorted. i'm not thinking of selling it; but if i was i would be after about 6-7k for it, and more or less every major moving part in it has been replaced!)

hope you manage to arrive at a decision that suits you and the mrs anyhow :)

total agreement with Pete_griff on this one. I can only assume that maybe while you love the C right down to your toes, your wanting something a bit more modern that will give you the smile factor?? I could be way off here! I had the same situation last summer. Sold the VR as was only way out've financial situ. Then once money picked up went shopping - 'cept insurance issue meant having to get smaller engine so now drive S3. It's no comparison. Will be back in a VR soon as possible.

That said, if your throwing down 8, 9 maybe 10k on new car that ticks your boxs it is quite hard to see past a mint well maintained VR6.

I'd never drive a M3/scooby/evo(too in ya face), modern GTi(their flip'n everywhere) or anything French(hate walking) so it's really very limiting :lol:

Cheers for all the comments chaps! I think I've managed to talk myself out of it tbh... this thread has helped a lot and I woke up yesterday doubting and still feel the same today! I think given the current climate etc I'd be wise to wait for at least 6 months and in that time I will hopefully get the Leon re-mapped!

I still think the TT may happen one day but not right now!

Thanks again for all your help 8)

After driving a VR6 for over 6 years I think the only thing I could possibly swap it for is a 911! I would like a C2 993 but they are far too pricey, so for around the £10k mark your looking at a 964 C2.

I have driven various 1.8Ts in Seats, Golfs etc and although very nice cars, they aren't as much fun as a Corrado. The other day I drove my mates Mk5 R32 DSG, and although faster and better handling, not to mention newer and more comfortable, it didn't make me smile like the old Corrado does. It felt too much like a playstation game. I would still have one as an everyday car in 5 door for practicality, but could part with the Corrado.