Sign in to follow this  
pookyvr6

17" AZEV A - Will they fit VR

Ok, seen many views on this and trying to get a definative answer before spending the bucks.

I have been told that AZEZ A 7x17 et 35 will fit the VR with no caliper fouling. Some on this forum seem to think differently, and I'm more inclined to take their advice than that of the supplier. Does anyone know if they can be fitted and what were the wheel specs. Also, If anyone's had problems how did you sort it?

Anyone know of a cheap place to buy them? I've had a quote of £825 inc tyres. Good or Bad?

Cheers

Mark

'94 Black VR

I've been trying to get a definitive answer to this myself. I think Azev A's are the ultimate corrado wheel! It seems that the problem with A's & the VR is with the front callipers - the dish on the A's means the calipers will catch on the spokes. You could sort this with spacers, but with 17's you could be into arch trouble. I'd like to hear from anyone who's actually put them on a VR & what it entails. Like you, I think it's a lot of coin if they ain't gonna fit! BTW £825 sounds like a decent price - Azevs aint the cheapest!

Cheers.

I thought 17" As were 7.5" width?

Agreed, As are among my favourites but they are heavy and the laquer chips VERY easily, leading to corrosion on the diamond polished outer rim. I used to have some 15" As on my MK1 and they ruined the handling to be honest, they were too wide and too heavy.

The Borbet C looks very good on a Corrado too and they're lighter and won't foul the caliper. Stil Auto Sigmas are very similar to As (actually nicer imo) but I don't know of any UK suppliers.

Kev

You can get A's in three widths at 17": 7, 7.5 and 8. Bigger the width, more rim you get but more arch fouling. Thats why I was told to go for 7" as they would not foul the arches with an et 35 offset. Question is, if you go for say an et 25 offset at 7" width, will this avoid the calipers whilst still not rubbing the arches?

So many questions....

25 on a VR is pushing it to be honest. Would your supplier lend you a 7" ET35 wheel to see if it fits? If you can get 7" ones to fit, let me know! I know they're heavy and all that but they just look soooooo good.

K

I have a set of 17 inch azev A but i have yet to put them on my corrado as it quite like the Kahn wheels that it came with, i coudnt decide wether they would look good on the car or not but after reading what everyong else wroth i might just do it now,

anyway mine cost me £900 with tyres + locking wheel nuts so i think that £825 is a good price.

Show us some photos of what yours looks like on the Azevs if you get them and i might switch mine over .

I have a set of 17 inch azev A but i have yet to put them on my corrado as it quite like the Kahn wheels that it came with, i coudnt decide wether they would look good on the car or not but after reading what everyong else wroth i might just do it now,

anyway mine cost me £900 with tyres + locking wheel nuts so i think that £825 is a good price.

Show us some photos of what yours looks like on the Azevs if you get them and i might switch mine over .

They look pants. Keep the Kahns and sell me the Azevs :lol:

K

I actually bought a set at the end of the summer but they didn't fit. Just as mentioned above the problem arises from both the design of the wheel & the VR's front calliper. It doesn't matter what offset you get they will not go on...

For the VR you need a wheel with the spokes biased to the outside (like the Kahns). Not sure if you've noticed but all the newer VW/Audi cars now come with this design of wheel (i.e. spokes biased to the outside).

I ended up getting a set of RS4 wheels which come with the clearance for the front callipers machined out of them.

maybe of some help, my mate has some azev a's on his mk2 golf with a c vr6 lump in etc and they fouled the calipers, he had to shave a bit of the caliper

james_m

so they wont go on my 16V

I want these rims as well - 16V calipers are smaller so should fit... I'd go for the 7.5" rims as being a deeper dish tend to look better in the arches. It does worry me that upgrading the brakes later on could be a problem though...?

i thought that the 7.5" were the smallest size that they came in.

the set that i have are 7.5" and i had them on my MK2 Golf with no problems

James_m if you've got a set and are putting them on I'd really like to see some pics if poss? It might just send me over the edge and make me rob a bank to get em though!

i had azev a`s on my 205 gti every one said they wont fit :? but where there is a will"and a lump hammer,grinder"there is a way :D anything is possible if you have patience

A friend has the 8x17 ET 30 Azev A on his MK3 Golf VR6. I think they fitted OK without calliper problems, i'll double check.

Trust me guys, if there was a way to get those wheels on my car, they'd be on now... I needed about 8mm to clear the calliper (which is too much to shave off). I then put on spacers to clear the callipers but the wheel sat outside the arch. :mad:

They fitted absolutley perfectly on the back & looked very very 8) 8) 8) ...which made me even more angry ...dissapointed ...gutted etc..

Don't get carried away with the offset of ET30-35 etc. it also depends on the style of rim. As I was informed by my wheel supplier ...the offset is measured from the centre of the rim to the inside of the spokes ..so, if your wheels are dished in any way they will actually sit out further at the outter edge

I thought the offset was measured from the centre of the wheel to the mating face of the wheel, therefore the style of spoke is irrelevant.

Quote : thought the offset was measured from the centre of the wheel to the mating face of the wheel, therefore the style of spoke is irrelevant.

Thats true to a point but if the face or spokes curve back in towards the centre then it can create clearance issues for the brake calipers. It may be that on the 8" rims due to the extra width the spokes are straighter and actually clear the calliper?

Dan,

What suspension set up have you got and what width wheels have you got?

If the spacers worked in clearing the calipers, how much did the wheels stick out? i.e. if I'm only lowred 30mm, i've still got good clearance. On 40's the diamiter should be appx the same as 50's on 15". So, should be ok, if not, some arch rolling at the front.

I'm sure you've been through them all but if you've got any more info it would be appreciated.

Sorry, just thinking about this a bit more. The problem would seem to be that the measurement from the mating face of the wheel to the spokes causes problems with the AZEV's. So, you can use a spacer to give extra caliper clearance, but this then pushes the wheels outside the arches.

Surely, if you go with "more" offset, this would in turn move the outer rim of the wheel futher in towards the arch (by effectively moving the spokes closer to the rim of the wheel). So is more offset and spacers on a 7.5 inch rim the answer?

Probably not. but I've got loads of lovely drawings trying to work this bloody thing out.

As I mentioned previously a friend has a set ot 8x17 ET 30 fitted to a MK3 Golf VR6 with the 288mm discs. These are fitted without spacers or other mods. I'm not sure if there are any significant differences between the brakes on a C and the Golf. I'm going to have a go at fitting them to my 94 VR6 and see how I get on.

This is how they look on the Golf 8) Convieniently its the same colour for easy comparison :D

P6DUB.JPG