Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Electric car polisher

Has anyone used one on their C?

My mate emigrated to Southern Ireland at the w/end and left me a whole load of car stuff that he didn't want to take. Among the boxes was this car polisher, never used. It has a buffing pad on it the size of a dinner plate, so looks like it could buff a car up in well under half the normal time.

Just wondering what the pros and cons are of these machines as I've never used one?

Cheers

Kev

the one i used seemed to cause swirl marks

Yeah, you have to be careful what polish you use and if you 'cut' the paint you have to the apply wax ontop. My Tornado Red Mk2 used to come up very well, also be careful to not polish the rubber seals etc

Sounds like it'll be staying in the box then :)

Cheers for the advice

K

If you need an electric polisher, your using the wrong polish.

cheers

I've got one (well my dad has) and I think I've used it once on my Golf GTi and once on the C. Waste of time IMHO, quicker buffing off by hand. Got mine from halfords and is multidirectional so shouldn't rub away the paint.

kev,

use it lightly on a hidden panel or if u got an old panel in the shed or something if not try it lightly see what it does and use some good polish......if not send it my way i will test it out for ya and if its sh1t we can sell it on the scooby forum if its good i could sell it back to u lol

good deal or wot

Sounds like it'll be staying in the box then :)

Cheers for the advice

K

If you need an electric polisher, your using the wrong polish.

cheers

Not necessarily. I just can't be arsed to do it by hand!

K

if its the same as the ones i use they are very similar to an agle grinder with a foam pad, they are awesome and will remove scratches and blemishes that usually need respraying you do need to be careful with them though as someone said its quite easy to rub the paint right through on edges and they can generate enough heat to burn off the paint

The one I've got runs on an encentric to avoid over-buffing the same area, so it's a proper bo one alright.....just not sure about it as the Corrado has many angular panels that could lose paint quite quickly! I was thinking of using it more for the bonnet, roof and doors, which are tedious to do by hand!

Got one for Christmas - Haven't used it yet but will get the C back in the week so will give it a buff at the weekend... was planning to use auto glm - is there anything better out there?