Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Wynns Oil Treatment

my neighbour has been made unemployed, so him and a mate have started buying cars off ebay, fixing them up and trying to sell them.

They heard me start my corrado and commented on it sounding knocky when cold, i said its always done that, been like it since i bought it etc, not too worried.

they have suggested using wynns oil treatment, or slick50 to lessen the noise, They chucked a can in a car they working on and its made a massive difference.

Would people advise using something like that or not? I've never really liked the idea of addictives but reading the can it sounds ok :shrug:

Yeah, I think general consensus is to stay away from oil additives in general.

Having said that; I have used Wynns Hydraulic valve lifter treatment in a few of my old daily drives and it worked wonders in reducing the valve train rattle. :|

Steer clear. All that stuff does is thicken the oil so much, any worn bearings etc are silenced. Masking the problem doesn't fix the problem, but for buying and selling on cheap bangers, it's fine!

VR6s do knock a little when cold, but so long as it's gone within a minute or 2, there's nothing to worry about.

that was my same thoughts if i'm honest, the noise goes away quite quickly and i've never really been worried about it.

i told my neighbours i'd just an r32 engine if it breaks :lol:

Like as has been said, they are just thick oil. It will slow down oil useage and can quiet up some knocks but the oil is too thick to get to all the oilways and can cause damage to the engine, especially on cold starts.

They are perfect for shifting a shit motor though.

Sorry to thread jack 2CM, but on the subject of additives - Is ZX1 metal treatment worth using? My dad swears by it and ive used it before in the passed but never noticed much difference in running and not kept hold of the car long enough to notice any difference with the running of the engine e.g. wear.

hmmmm......I'd stay well away from anything that says "shake well before using" for fear of particles clogging oil-ways.

The Wynns stuff is at least 100% oil soluble and contains no particles....but I'd still only think about using it on a daily driver that I didn't really care about, and even then I'd do a proper oil change shortly after.

Shout me down if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but the ol' VR will always make a racket for the first 2 or 3 seconds whilst the oil works it way into the tappets. That's quite normal.

yep agree with the above, they are a big old lump to pump oil around, as it says earlier give it to or three minutes, i would also sugguest staying away from engine flushs as well as additive as these also can do more harm than good i.e removing particle from around the engine and then getting clogged in the oil pick up gauze, the ONLY Engine additive i would recommend is CERTEC this is the stuff Audi use for all their timing chain vehicle, stealth racing sell it.