Sign in to follow this  
-=Kris=-

Door leak

Hey all havent posted in a while... been busy over tha last few weeks so happy new year!

anyway... to the point...

i had a small dent taken out of my driver side door not too long ago and now the door is leaking...

i know that it's the vapour sheet that hasen't been put back on properly cos it's coming from the bottom of the door-card...

i've taken it upon myself to patch up the vapour sheet and although it's not leaking as much, it's still leaking... there is only so much that i can do and the guy i got the dent sorted with is blaming everything but thier handy work!

i thought i got rid of it till i washed the car... the carpet was getting a bit damp...

is it woth taking it to VW to fit a new vapor sheet, cos TBH i don't know who to trust to do a decent job...

anyone know ppl around fleet/farnborough that they could recommend?

Thank yall!

Take off the panell and do it yourself mate, much better option and there's allsorts of adhesives around that'll do the job too! An hours job on a sunny day including tea and biccies :grin:

as i said... i tried doing it myself... but it just keeps leaking... i think i'm just crap at doing this sort of stuff... lol

Give over mate, try it again and something different to stick it with! Not sure what but have a search i'm sure it'll be suggested whats best for the job there :wink:

Give over mate, try it again and something different to stick it with! Not sure what but have a search i'm sure it'll be suggested whats best for the job there :wink:

You can get some sticky sealant stuff. Like the silicone ones you get for doing around the bath but this one just stays sticky. Cant remember what its called though :?

good lord, give the guy a break.....

mate if i was closer, i'd do it for you.

strip of the bits and panel.......

get yourself a plastic sheet (anything works i.e im a cop, i used large evidence bags.....black bags can be used)

then get urself sum spray glue....glue the metal and stick the bag down, pressing firmly making sure it seal all the way around.....

AND/OR

check the door seal for splits....and the door plastic sill aswell....... if damage, this maybe where it leeks in.

hope this helps.

bob

spose i can try giving it another go...

cheers for the input guys...

i'll have to take off all the crappy bathroom sealant that i put on it 1st lol... the membrane is fine, i think it's just the way that it's sealed...

I tried silicone but it did not seam to dry very well as the air could not get it. So i went to Homebase and they had a tube of Evostick wet grab glue (see below)

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/54342/Sealants-Adhesives/Adhesives/Grab-Adhesives/High-Performance/Evo-Stik-Wet-Grip-Adhesive-290ml;jsessionid=2DL1ZHNG34JIQCSTHZOSFFI#reviews

I used it and stuck on the new plastic sheet, held in it place with some tape while it dried and next day perfect! :D Know more leaks.

Trouble with silicone is that it easily peels off smooth plastic.

I wasn't having a dig about the 'kit' from the Stealers, they don't do membranes anymore but will sell you plastic sheet and mastic.

yeah i think thats probly my problem... i was using bathroom silicone... maybe i should just take that off 1 sunday and use that evostick stuff...

can't do it ATM... the car is being repaired... someone bumped into my poor baby...

it's cool tho... i get the bumper and bonet resprayed for free! :norty:

the car will look as good as new!

Had this problem today - my own fault, i was putting some felt in the door to stop a rattle from the lock mechanism. Weather was getting bad so obviously rushing tio finish meant i dodnt seal teh membrane properly, hence the nice small puddle in the passenger side. Membrance looks a mit mank i'll prob just replace.

Whrere the speaker protrudes into the door, are there any issues with using a *flat* plastic sheet? If there are, how do you allow for the recess in the sheet without there being any wrinkles at the bottom of the new membrane? I have some heavier gauge packing bags which i will be using.

I made a flap that hangs behind the speaker to shed any water away, problem is the doors, pods and membranes weren't designed for deeper speaker magnets.

One other thing to note is the stupid design of the door pressing where the membrane should be glued, it has small drain holes along the bottom edge of the bottom cutout in the inner door skin, the sealant/glue you use needs to be precisely located or the bottom part of the membrane will catch water and it will sit there, eventually finding a way into the car.

You can see why VW eventually went to the bolt in panels in the mk4, better in every way - except weight!

I made a flap that hangs behind the speaker to shed any water away, problem is the doors, pods and membranes weren't designed for deeper speaker magnets.

One other thing to note is the stupid design of the door pressing where the membrane should be glued, it has small drain holes along the bottom edge of the bottom cutout in the inner door skin, the sealant/glue you use needs to be precisely located or the bottom part of the membrane will catch water and it will sit there, eventually finding a way into the car.

You can see why VW eventually went to the bolt in panels in the mk4, better in every way - except weight!

You dont have any pictures by any chance do you?

don't think so,

Ideally the film should be a complete barrier and have no holes in it, some of the VW ones I've seen have a sort of box area in the membrane that sticks into the door to cover the back of the speaker, I just cut a hole in the sheet and duck taped a wider piece of plastic to the back of the hole, so it covered well past the sides of the hole I'd cut.

Did you try the stuff from screwfix Kris? Just wanted to know if kit was any good as gotta do one of mine on the 8v soon. :?

funny u should mention that... yeah i used that evo stick wet grip stuff just yesterday and went mental with the hose and not a drip in sight!

i went really overboard on it too! just to make sure... it's great stuff... cheers for that trumpy!

got it all over my hands tho! it was a bastard to clean off cos it's waterproof straight out of the tube, but yeah it worked a fking charm!

just a little bit under the door card where it got a bit messy that i need to clean off... :brickwall:

Argh! i've found another leak! problem now is that i don't know where it's leaking from!

it's like an oily water on the rear passenger side carpet... the door isn't leaking... i'm pretty sure of it... the other leak was from the driver side, so thats fine...

It's quite worrying cos it's like an oily water... any suggestions on what it could be?

Oops! Sorry mate i missed the word REAR when i first read it.

Sounds a bit odd though if its oily in the rear! Have you tried a search??

Think i've found something...

I've had exactly the same problem since buying my 'rado last September. I'd check all the obvious sources of the leak - foliage cover, door membrane, etc but it was only last weekend when I had the passenger seat out to investigate further that I found the culprit...

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=64822&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15#p802854

Have had a couple of downpours since then and left rear carpet is still dry :clap:

The carpet also had that 'oily' feel when damp but I'm sure it's not from a gubbed heater matrix due to the carpet remaining dry. Never really had any issues with condensation either.

Finally, I bought a basic dehumidifier thing from b&q and have been leaving it in the car overnight to sook up any remaining moisture left in the car.

Not looked any further into my wet rear passenger side carpet recently - probably due to the run of sunny, dry weather up here for a change.

Anyway, there was still a small patch of wet carpet appearing after the car had a wash, so this afternoon I removed the front passenger seat for a closer look.

Emptied a few buckets of water over the roof then had a cup of tea.

I *think* I've found where the water is coming from. Noticed that the plastic sill cover was sitting over the door seal which allowed water to trickle over the seal and onto the carpet. Over time I think this water has been building up and moving towards the rear footwell.

Checked the driver's side door sill and the lip of the door seal sits over the plastic sill cover.

Water's not getting through now, but time will tell once it starts raining again...

TBH i don't know what part dokko is talking about...

all i got from that was seals, covers and door sills... what is he talking about? the rubber strip around the door? cos he mentioned that it was oily... that sounds farmilliar!

It looks like he's talking about the seal around the door where it meets the sill at the bottom of the door, check where the 2 meet on yours with paper too! the plastic innes sill cover should be sat nice and flush too.

HTH.

Kip.