Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyVR6

Anyone used one of these? *6 branch manifold*

No increase in power at all? Oh... :?

How about noise? Does it affect the sound of the exhaust, I'm still (thankfully!) using the standard Corrado exhaust.

i did not say no power increase,just that i did not know as mine was supercharged at the time.

Fitting the manifold on its own wont give huge gains,but added with cams,headwork etc then yes gains will be had.

I'm still quite tempted to get one of these, they seem very priced. I'd like to know what a few peoples experience of them are...good or bad :D

I had a 4-2-1 branch manifold on a Mk2 Golf GTi a few years back, but as I bought the car like that I obviously didn't notice any difference in performance/sound.

Got a Raceland 6 branch on my VR6. No increase in hp, but i did notice slightly better throttle response. As for noise, before i wrappped it in thermotec heat wrap i had a 'sucking' noise when i opened the throttle - apparently gases passing through the manifold. I was told it would disappear once carbon builds up a bit. But after a few 1000 miles it was still there.

It is generally advised to wrap the manifold to lower the under bonnets temps, but for me this also reduced the 'sucking' noise more or less completely.

Not sure about the quality of the 2 above are like. But they will probably be the same as the Raceland manifolds and they are very good quality esp for price (£160)

HTHs

There's also this, more expensive, alternative:- http://dubpower.co.uk/Exhaust%20manifolds.HTM .

I'd thought about fitting a 6 branch myself when the downpipe cracked on mine. I asked Vince at Stealth about power gains, as I was having cams and various other tweaks done at the time. Apparently, power gains are negligable, although I expect that's probably open to dispute here......... You'd think it would be ...or what's the point?

It came down to a toss up between the time and effort to wrap one :sleeping: and the convenience of the OEM. I opted for the latter in the end :lol:

I love the look of that one from Dubpower, very cool looking, but I think the one from the Belgium chaps will do the job. Am I right in thinking that the manifold is the only part I'd need? As in, it would just be a 'bolt on' modification that I could get a garage to do?

Whats the deal with wrapping the manifold? Is that the done thing? What and where on earth would I get such stuff? Or is it something I could request that a decent exhaust place could do? :confused4:

I hate being a newbie, so many fucking questions!!! :mad2:

On a side note, I'm going to get those HT leads, my VR6 is reaching 95,000miles and is on the original leads.

Wrapping the manifold is down to personal choice, you dont HAVE to wrap it.

The reason i and other wrap the manifold is for 2 reasons -

1 - As soon as the exhaust gasses leave the engine they start to cool down, which means they slow down. The heat wrap keeps the heat of the exhaust inside the manifold, which means the exhaust gasses stay hotter for longer, less dense and they move faster through the manifold. Which leads to better performance.

2 - stops the heat from the manifold soaking the engine bay, thus raising under bonnet temperatures. This will also protect nearby pipes from being melted. On the VR for one, theres a pipe just to the left, which i believe is the steering column. Its only about an inch away from the manifold.

I used http://www.thermotec.com/ to wrap mine, i also bought some silicone to spray on the manifold. Which helps repell water and seals the wrap once its on the manifold. I bought 2" wide x 50 m long wrap and 1 can of silicone. This was a enough to wrap the whole manifold and that had some cut off too. So plenty of it. Not knowing that at the time i bought 2 lots of wrap and silicone.

You can however get the manifold ceramically coated as opposed to using fiberglass heat wrap. But its more expensive and i couldnt justify the cermanic coating seen as the manifold cost me considerably less then the coating.

I will say, i'd advise you to decide to get it wrapped or coated BEFORE its fitted as its a PITA to get it fitted/removed. Believe me wrapping it whilst its fitted to car, IS NOT FUN :lol: Oh and also you'll need some metal straps to hold it in place, i personally used some copper wire which imo was better as i had more of it. The metal straps you can buy are pricey.

I have had a 'cheap' Raceland 6 branch manifold fitted for the last 4 years without it being heat wrapped with no problems at all.

I am running it with a full milteck exhaust and Cat bypass and a BMC CDA air box. Althought i couldn't give you Hp figures (never had it rolling road tested) this combination mods certainly give you much better throttle response and the sound is fanstastic, proper V6 growl and fanstic crackle on down shift (well worth the money alone!)

I certainly don't believe heat wrapping will change performance - on anything over tick over speeds the gases will pass through the red hot manifold far too quickly for cooling to affect density etc, however not having it wrapped makes the cabin warmer (very noticable in the summer without air con!) but i did have to remove a heat shield on the bulkhead to fit the manifold (probably due to my car originally being a 1.8 16v)

Yeah got to agree with that... i have a BMC, 6 branch with a supersprint CAT back exhaust and it does sound great. get a nice popping on overrun and down shift. 8)

Whether #1 is true - its just what i've read myself. I'd definately wrap it purely for #2 if for no other reason.