20vturbo

corrado 20v turbo, finally finished

Once again I can't praise you enough for your time and attention to detail. This is my favourite build thread and I hope you get as much pleasure driving this Corrado as I do reading your thread.

i remade the brake pipe that goes under the car

IMG_1753-1.jpg

IMG_1754-1.jpg

started washing some of the interior

IMG_1755.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg

carpet fitted

IMG_1758.jpg

boot carpet and weichers strut brace

IMG_1759-1.jpg

some of the trim in

IMG_1762.jpg

then i had to change the clutch master cylinder

IMG_2000.jpg

the old master cylinder

IMG_2001.jpg

the new one

IMG_2002.jpg

the end taken off the original

IMG_2003.jpg

the new master cylinder ready for the new end

IMG_2005.jpg

the end slid onto the shaft and secured with epoxy

IMG_2006.jpg

a quick lick of paint and fitted to the car

IMG_2007.jpg

and then back in with the intake pipe

IMG_2009.jpg

i went for the different style master cylinder because it gives me a much lighter clutch peddle. the light peddle makes the 4 puck clutch and solid flywheel alot easier to use and much smoother.

suprised you expoxy'd the old fitting...

FYI, you can get a brand new mastercylinder from the stealers for about £80-100. they look similar to the one you've picked up, but the fitting for the solid line are in a different place to the OEM item (seen you've got around this by re-bending the existing solid line). you can also get round this by just running a braided line straight from the master to the slave and do away with the crap factory flexi.

also, you have to change the pedal as it's a different fitment, but the pedal is only about £30 from the stealers.

if you find the epoxy doesn't hold then look into doing that.

also you can pick up pedals out out the earlier passats (around '95) - i did this and paid £5 for it from a breakers.

changing the pedal is an easy job, just a little fiddly when re-fitting the return spring

so how long before it's on the road now then?

:D

the epoxy is a super strenght epoxy made just for bonding metals and plastics and also the rod comes through the fitting and into the hole so the peddle pushes on the rod and not the plastic.

i cant run braid down to the slave cylinder because i am using a mk4 gearbox which has a push in fitting on the slave cylinder. i couldnt find anywhere that sells them so i got a hose company to make me a new one out of new hose and put the corrado end on one side and the mk4 end on the other.

the difference that master cylinder made to the peddle is huge, the 4 puck clutch is a pleasure to use now :D

it will be on the road next summer, the whole interior is getting retrimed over the winter and then mapping in the spring

changing the pedal is an easy job, just a little fiddly when re-fitting the return spring

tell me about it, many a battle ive had with those stupid springs :lol:

I think I would be inclined to drill a wee hole through the plastic and the rod, then put a pin/rivet through it. For peace of mind if nothing else.

Forgive me as ive read your thread ages ago but cant remember all the details. Im i right in thinking your gonna be running a gt28rs of some description? and are also using qpeng management? What are you doing for the mapping of this? Just wondered as i would hopefully like a bigger turbo at some point in the future and was thinking of a gt28rs. Lovely car by the way!

yes

i have a garrett gt28 and its running qpeng

i bought the can interface box and im bringing it to a friend of mine who builds and maps race engines to get all the mapping done.

just read through the whole thread... :notworthy: am planning on doing something similar in the near future. Any chance you still have the rotisserie dimensions etc?

just read through the whole thread... :notworthy: am planning on doing something similar in the near future. Any chance you still have the rotisserie dimensions etc?

i should have them somewhere, ill see if i can find them for you.

yes

i have a garrett gt28 and its running qpeng

i bought the can interface box and im bringing it to a friend of mine who builds and maps race engines to get all the mapping done.

Thanks mate looks like Il be changing my engine management.

payed a visit to the interior man toady to pick a leather color for the corrado

its definitely not boring and you wont see the same in another corrado, i love it :grin:

i needed to make at heat shield to cover my coil packs and the n75 so they dont get fried by the big turbo.

flat sheet of stainless

IMG_2032.jpg

i bent and cut it by hand and finished it off with some rubber trim

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

fitted to the engine

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

i got both rear caliper brackets finished

IMG_2022.jpg

then i decided to helicoil the threads for the rear 4 pot calipers

IMG_2023.jpg

drill and tap out the holes to m14

IMG_2024.jpg

thread in the helicoil

IMG_2025.jpg

then trim off the end

IMG_2026.jpg

cleaned and painted the stub axle, hub and handbrake caliper bracket

IMG_2030.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

skimmed the rear discs down to 21.5mm and threw a bit of silver on the middle to stop them rusting

IMG_2041.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

ill be wire locking alot of the bolts in the car

drill a hole in the bolt head

IMG_2037.jpg

thread the stainless lock wire through the bolts and use the special pliers to twist the wire

IMG_2040.jpg

also lock wired the rear calipers

IMG_2049.jpg

the rear brakes done, just need to make handbrake cables and fit the handbrake calipers

IMG_2052.jpg

Great job but is the wire locking really necessary ?? I know what is it for but even company's making lamborhini or ferrari leave their bolts just tighten up and it newer failed down, I think so.

It probably would be fine without wirelocking but I like to be 100% sure nothing is ever going to come lose, esspecialy when I'm going to be driving this car to the nurburgring and doing a few laps of it. Better safe than sorry, I feel you can never be over safe when it comes to brakes and suspension.

Been a massive fan of this project but I think that the wire locking is a little ott.

Provided that everything it torqued up correctly, then it should be fine, even a little loctite. Your grade or wire looks too thin for a decent lock wire. It's almost a cosmetic mod.

The lock wire isn't cosmetic, it's 302 stainless steel goodridge lock wire. Some might think it's over kill but I don't. I've seen bolts that were tourqed and locktighted start to back out. I'm trying to build a car that's 100% safe and reliable and more importantly a car that I have confidence in. The lock wire is there to serve a purpose and dosent effect the car in any way so why not put it on, if it makes it safer it's never a bad thing.

Also I'm tourqe sealing all the important bolts. It's an orange paint that you put on bolt heads so you will know if they are starting to come lose, ott? I don't think so

Its not doing any harm, gives extra peace of mind and a motorsport look ! Great Idea! Project is looking awesome! :salute:

I can see the point in the wire locking but it isn't at all required if torqued correctly and thread locked if required. Not without wanting to rain on your parade, the wire-locking for the stub axle is of such a low quality of job that it isn't really doing anything constructive. I'm an engineer on Military Helicopters and have done my fair share of wire locking to know what I am on about......

that was the first thing on the car i lock wired, ive redone it since the pic was taken, im using it to give myself some piece of mind when im lapping the nurburgring and hammering along the autobahn. you can never be too safe when it comes to brakes and suspension.

havent updated this in a while, im in america at the moment so dont have any pics to put up.

i had a few issues with the engine just before i left for america, ill go into more detail about that when i get home at the end of the month. the car has moved along quite a bit since the last update so i will update the thread when i get home and hopefully i will get somewhere close to being finished by next summer.

at the start of last year i decided to get one of these so the corrado took a back seat while i did a few bits to the gti

040.jpg

then after the woodruff key in the crank pully of the corrado broke this happened to all 8 of the exhaust valves

076.jpg

new valves freshly lapped in

077.jpg

head off the engine all cleaned and ready for the new valves

079.jpg

valves in the head

080.jpg

small bit of grease on the collets to hold them in while i take off the valve spring compressor

081.jpg

modified valve spring compressor to reach down into the head

084.jpg

all the valves back in

092.jpg

engine preped and new headgasket on

097.jpg

cams back in and all timed up

098.jpg

head back on and tourqed down

100.jpg

pretty much all back together