Sign in to follow this  
mic_VR

New kick down feature........ VR Clutch issues...

Well it looks like my hopes for as little expense on the Corrado as possible in the run up to my wedding (May) is not what my car has planned. :(

It would appear that my clutch is on its way out as on the drive home from my folks last night it was like driving an auto with a kick down feature, except loads of revs without the increase in speed. Guessing the only things it can be is knackered/worn clutch or Oil on the clutch... either way it needs looking at.

So basically, anyone got an idea how hard it is to do/and the options for doing (engine in situ or everything out etc) a clutch change on the VR?

Or how much for a garage to do it?

Losing a bit of love for the C at the moment, but I know mechanical things like this can happen to any car so.... ho hum.... just need to get it soted.

bummer,but as you said these things happen as its a wear and tear part.

As for removal,have a go doing it yourself,what do you have to loose,if i was closer bud i would give you a hand but im miles away :(

You can do the box with the engine in place,as you have not done this before i would remove the front end of the car for ease,you dont have to do this step but do it as it will self explain everything,then its just a case of unbolting the shafts,wiring,clutch slave ,dirts shield from underneath and the little dirt shield just behind the back of the engine above the drivers side flange of the box.

Then support the engine with a jack and block of wood,then remove all the mounts,completely remove the gearbox mount from the bob as this gets in the way.

Once you ready for a lift out i would get someone to help you at this point unless you like to be in A&E for the big day :lol:

Then the rest is reversal,just line the splines of the clutch friction plate up and refit and rebolt up,job done......easy!

Im sure there is a step by step guide on the net somewere :scratch:

Cheers James, I thought there was something already on here about it but search has wealded nothing useful.

I'm happy to give it a go myself, just wasn't 100% sure whether doing it with the engine in was possible. In a strange bit of fortune I've actually got a brand new VR clutch already but as I'm going FI in the summer I was just going to sell it, guess not now! :lol:

If you're dropping the clutch off now might be a Very Good Time to replace or at least check the condition of the timing chains too ..

You need to have a look through the wiki (I know its a mess at the moment with the server change) and follow the guide about replacing the timing chain & tensioners as you remove and replace the the gearbox & clutch as part of it. I would also suggest you replace the chain & tensioners while you are at it, as with the gearbox off you are already most of the way there (unless they are not very old).

Long weekend at mine again?

Same process as we went through swapping your gearbox, just needed to whip the pressure plate off. You've got a clutch kit anyway, sat at the beigey boy wonders....

I'll try not to get run over again before you turn up...

Long weekend at mine again?

Sounds perfect but what about my clutch? :norty:

I'd definitely love a bit of help as space at mine is a premium, I'll give you a call and maybe sort out a date, although in a typical fashion it has happened just as I need the car for work so that might dictate what/when I need to sort it. Chains etc at the sametime is probably a very good idea as well so I'll find out about ordering those parts at the sametime. Bit of a weekend rebuild! :lol:

bad news Mic, shame you have 5 hours less daylight per day to do it in than the summer as well :(

will be good to have an engine that you know you could sell on with confidence if you needed though..

been searching around as i remember mic_vr thread. On my drive home just now i have the same feature :lol: my clutch is slipping :(

did you get round to doing yours mic? i might try having a go at mine myself :|

I had the clutch done on mine a couple of weeks ago........I got a the clutch from TPS for £80ish plus vat but they give you £20 plus vat back for the old one, also needed the fork that the thrust bearing sits in replaced £30ish and the rear engine mount £30ish......labour for that was £150 which i thought was ok, still moaned about it though :lol:

am think i should really get the chains done at the same time, car is nearly on 180,000 and they have never been done

i can see this mounting up into another big wedge of money