Sign in to follow this  
joebloggsVR69

Removing seized allen key bolts..?

I've got a allen key/hex bolt that refuses to budge, the one holding the rear ABS sensor..

Why oh why do VW use these bloody bolts :brickwall:

I've tried spraying a whole lot of penetrating spray, used an allen key, mole grips and an angled socket with a hex attachment and the damn thing hasn't moved at all

What's the best way to remove it, short of going to a garage to get them to weld a bit onto it?

Are those Irwin bolt grippers any good at allen key bolts?

In the past I have used a multi-hex socket to remove stubborn cap head bolts. You need to find a socket that is slightly smaller than the head of the bolt and effectively hammer it on to the head of the the bolt. The multi-hex socket should be made of a harder material than the bolt and will 'cut' itself a spline into the head of the bolt. You can then try to undo it that way.

However, if the bolt has been previously butchered using mole-grips then that method may not work as it generally requires the head of the bolt to still be round, not distorted from the moleys.

Hope that helps a bit.

I'm glad it's not just me that has this trouble! :lol: I had to use Irwin bolt grips to get the rear caliper bolts off my car when I was doing the rear bearings. Get you out of all sorts of trouble those things. Being a pre-facelift owner (ie. no ABS) I'm not familiar with the bolt you are having trouble with though....

If the bolt has a raised head you could try cutting a slot in it with a hacksaw and using a big screwdriver, this worked for me when I rounded out a hex key bolt holding the upper timing chain cover on to my vr6...

IMPACT driver if you have enough room to get one in along with a few good hammer blows..Or weld on the head of a good sized hex bolt!!

IMPACT driver if you have enough room to get one in along with a few good hammer blows..Or weld on the head of a good sized hex bolt!!

I've got an impact driver, but there's only about 2 inches of clearance from the bolt head

Have you got spline sockets? They are perfectly sized so that you can hammer one into a rounded off hex socket, I've had to do it twice on the rear caliper carriers and both times it's worked a treat :D

Yeah, I've got spline sockets, the only problem might be actually hammering one onto the end of the bolt, there's really not that much room

I'll give it a try though, and also order some Irwin grippers :)

I bought a specific tool for this after doing the calipers on my Golf and encountering a similar problem:

The Bionic Grip

and they have proved useful on a number of occasions! If you're in a rush though, I found a set of these babies or similar combined with a decent set of gloves to enable you to get a really good grip without lacerating your hands worked as well.

Good luck,

Tom

i always use blue point bolt removers at work, they're fantastic! they have a reverse thread so you just hold it against the head and undo.

Are those Irwin bolt grippers any good at allen key bolts?

The fact that you asked this question shows that you've never used them! Yes, they will easily bite that bolt. I've used them on the allen key rear caliper bolts, which they easily removed. They will also remove:

Annoying exes,

Slow drivers from the motorway,

A chunk of money from your wallet,

the nagging thought that an old Burgundy Pearl can't be restored :nuts:

and many other uses besides...

If anyone needs new bolts then ones from a MK3 Golf are only 50p each as opposed to £2 for the Corrado ones... the difference is they are 1mm shorter but I can't see that causing any issues as long as they are torque'd up correctly (65Nm)

Havent removed the bolts yet, ordered the kit but it'll take a few days, given all this snow.

Besides, it's a bit cold to be out there :lol:

I bought new bolts from the $tealers, they were less than a pound each, I'm sure