Sign in to follow this  
rusty bolts

8v to 16v ABF transformation

finally i have got down to write up a bit about what ive done,

firstly i bought my corrado back in the summer a lovely change from my first car a 306 :gag: , its a 95 2.0 8v 98k on the clock. so far the only mods iv done are to lower it on coilies and do a boot build and a cheap after market stainless exhaust with decat!

jsut before christmas me and a friend of mine started thinking about how to gain a lil more power, one idea led to another, till one day we decided to go for it and i bought an ABF to go in!stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfS1032034.JPG[/attachment:27mdujw7]

first thing was to source all new parts for the rebuild whilst on a budget, not easy! went to vw and oh my gosh the prices!!!! cam followers £25 each and when u need 16 that adds up lol

i have now found the best place in the world to by any VAG parts, speak to andrew at vw spares he is an absolute star http://www.vwspares.co.uk i managed to get the cam followers for about a fiver each :D

this is the shopping list so far

full head gasket set

cam followers

valve guides

oil filter

thermostat

camshaft oil seal

big end seal

little end seal

intermediate seal

timing belt

tensioner

cam chain

oil pan gasket

new oil pump (not cheap) £146 from vw but from andrew £80 :grin:

engine bay wiring loom

impulse sensor (mine was shot) :(

MAP sensor (it dont exist on 8vs)

ABF ECU from a seat

and also a very very clever bit of kit from latvia, a immobiliser emmulator.il reveal all later (it arrived today :grin: wasnt sure if it would)

loads of other bits but cant remember rite now!

when it came to start stripping the engine i realised that an engine stand was deffinatly a good idea! lol so bought one of thoseCorrado92.pdfS1032040.JPG[/attachment:27mdujw7]

just to apologise if some of this is really obvious, its my first rebuild ever lol

slowly stripped the engine making sure i knew where everything is meant to go labeling franticly!

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfS1032050.JPG[/attachment:27mdujw7]

with the inlet manifold off i got my first glance into the engineclimatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfS1032055.JPG[/attachment:27mdujw7]

so far so good no bad signs, so next comes off all the pipes water pump and rocker cover2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfS1032061.JPG[/attachment:27mdujw7]

at a closer inspection everything seems to be happy! hardly any wear on the cams, no dirt either, or large worrying chunks of metal which is always good :grin:S1032062.JPG[/attachment:27mdujw7]

so that was pretty much end of day 1 on the rebuild, me and my mate dont get a lot of time to work on this, we both work full time and have demanding missuses lol luckily we both work at the same place so every other sentance can be about the project! altho im not so sure my manager aproves anymore after spending half the day on the phone at work ordering parts :lol:

i got so much more to write but need sleep lol so i will deffinatly try and post more up tomorrow! thanks for reading :) any input would be great! oh and if anybody has a 16v exhaust manifold for sale let me know :)

nice conversion this, did the same on my passat. on mine i got all the ECU, immobiliser+ reader coil+key and ignition barrel housing and just swapped the lot over, so i can still use the chipped key to start the car and the immobiliser works as it should.

when you come to putting the loom in, go over everything with a fine tooth comb and make sure tehres no cracked or broken wires, particularly the wiring to the throttle body and AIT sensor as they run close to the exhaust manifold.

look forward to seeing more progress tho! although almost seems a shame to put a 16v lump in an 8v rado as they were so rare!

Did the same conversion myself.

You're really going to school on the engine with all new bits&bobs. I pretty much just took the engine and gearbox out of my donor Passat and stuck them straight into the Corrado over a weekend. One thing I regret is not sticking a new clutch on when I had the motor out, it's a false economy not to!

It's a straight forward swap really, there are no clearance issues or anything like that. I'm guessing you have the engine loom from the Seat aswell as the ECU, which should fit OK. You will need to find that 16v manifold, which bolts straight onto the 8v downpipe. IIRC the bottom radiator hose fits OK, but the top one needs to be modified/changed, I think I used the Passat one. The 8v air-box has a MAF on a square oulet so can't really be used, I found a cone filter kit from a Golf mk3 16v, or an air box from a Seat Ibiza ABF worked fine. There are other little bits and pieces that need doing but nothing major.

Definitely a worthwhile project though!!!!

sorry for not updating sooner! had a major day of rebuilding today! i have loads of pics but not with me at the mo! hopefully will load them up tomorrow! managed to even get the block into paint today :) i wont reveal too much yet tho lol i want to write it all up in the correct order lol but i must say it is looking rather nice now :D thankyou for all your positive support guys, i need it lol well both me and my mate ewan, hes been awsome! so big thanks to him! oh and if any body has a 16v exhaust manifold let me know lol

one last thing somehow iv misplaced one of the bottom spring caps ( not sure what they're actually called) from the valve assembly, any one know wher i can buy one or if anybody has a spare they can sell me! cheers guys, il post up the piccys soon!