Kevin Bacon

MK4 expansion tank upgrade

Excuse the mess that is my engine bay, but thought I'd share with you a worthwhile upgrade.

Anyone that's struggled with a silly tight expansion cap on the Corrado with a pair of pliers will agree, enough is enough!

So here it is, the click stop MK4 cap and tank. P1ss easy to undo, regardless of header tank pressure. And it's nice and white and not murky brown.

All you need is a few plumbing fittings and the MK4 level sensor plug to complete. Bolts right in.

Best bet, guess how much the MK4 tank is? £9. Yep, 9 whole english pounds. Bargain if you ask me.

mk4_tank.jpg

very up for doing this, i hate undoing my header tank

i've been stuck at the side of the road hitting it with a rock before now :lol:

what are the plumbing bits you need?

can you not just connect the original hose to the header tank? or is something different.

iirc the hose i mean is going to the throttle body area and tee's off to the header tank

Yep £9 from VW

The MK4 sensor plug and overflow inlet are in completely different places to standard, but the original hose might reach over. A few of these have been done in Corrados successfully now.

a pic for spot the difference, i have a gruvenparts T-piece i bought by mistake, but thing that goes in totally different place.. Is it safe to cut samcos?

DSC01225.jpg

off to vw tomorrow then, however just to be sure can i not just run that hose str8 from the header tank without splitting it? it will be going in a valver and im sure there is only the one pipe and the eletrics that attach to the header tank? or am i having a john nash schiezophrenic moment? :?

off to vw tomorrow then, however just to be sure can i not just run that hose str8 from the header tank without splitting it? it will be going in a valver and im sure there is only the one pipe and the eletrics that attach to the header tank? or am i having a john nash schiezophrenic moment? :?

Just small top hose to rad and bigger bottom hose to block and the electrics mate

and the MK4 level sensor plug to complete

My guess is the Stealers!! Kev omitted the price of that though, prob cos it's £20 or something ridiculous :lol: :lol:

if its just the multiplug it'll be less than 2 quid. guessing you just need some terminal ends for the loom

Yeah the plug is quite pricey, £4.08. P/N - 1JO 973 202

If you have some tiny electrician / watchmaker screwdrivers, just poke the pins out of the standard plug housing and then they can be reused in the MK4 plug. Push down the sides of the pins, not in the middle of them!!

Alternatively if you want to start over with new connectors and seals, you can buy them from here - http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/V ... usings.php

I forgot standard VR6s have that fan controller in the way, but maybe Wendy can take a pic of hers as she's got the MK4 tank in her standard VR. It's easy to fudge around a bit!

This mod work on a valver too? I know the VR expansion tank is different to a VR tho...

hi guys, if some1 is doing/done this on a early 16v.......can someone tell us if the wiring matches the mk4 ones? if not.....what colour goes to what?

cheers bob

Kev's photo makes it look like just two wires so you could trial and error it. If you get it right the coolant light should come on before you fill it, if not swap it round. :)

Dare I say it - it may not matter which way round it is!!?

Kev's photo makes it look like just two wires so you could trial and error it. If you get it right the coolant light should come on before you fill it, if not swap it round. :)

cool, didnt look at it that close lol.....if its two wire......should be easy. lol....can you changed yours?

bob