Sign in to follow this  
20vtvw

dark burgundy pearl VR ,8and 9x16 OZ vegas

What type of paint are you using dude? It looks like you've got cellulose and water based mixed together to get a reaction like that?? Maybe??

i read it on an other thread that agu s have forge pistons and rods and many poeple agreed so going with that????at the power i want to run its not really that important anyway ..

i used u-pol but then the halfords filler primer didnt dry so think thats were my problem was..

ive done a test piece with u-pol etch then u-pol filler and u-pol primer with halfords top coat and lacker and all was good so going to stick with that way as i dont have a big enougth compresor or paint gun to spray 2k stuff.,

i used u-pol but then the halfords filler primer didnt dry so think thats were my problem was..

ive done a test piece with u-pol etch then u-pol filler and u-pol primer with halfords top coat and lacker and all was good so going to stick with that way as i dont have a big enougth compresor or paint gun to spray 2k stuff.,

I've had a similar issue with the paint. The problem with working on a car in this weather, as you've probably come to realise, is drying time. Try leaving as much time as possible in between stages and you should have a much better finish. If the filler and/or primer is not 100% dry the paint will react with the excess moisture. I had to re-do mine after getting the same result :( . You'll find much better quality materials than halfords at a trade paint/automotive refinishing shop local to you. The u-pol filler is too hard in my opinion and is more susceptible to cracking. Great work so far. :)

thanks for the advice, your bays looking great, might leave paint until it gets a bit wormer now and sort some other bits out first.,

ok so now ive decided not to do any paint just weld up all the holes fill and let the bodyshop do the paint in the bay at the same time as the rest of the car.

all holes are now welded up will grind them down tommorow ,and should be in the bodyshop by mid june after ive rebuilt my subframe (painted and poly bushed) and removed the rear quarter windows., :pale:

will be bare metal until it goes in for paint but is well covered up so wont get damp.,

guy from the bodyshop is coming round tommorow to have a look and give me some advice of how he wants it prepped so not going to do anything till then.,

fair enough, i'd keep an eye on it though, would hate for u too have to sand off loads of rust after the work u've already put in :salute:

heres just a couple of pics from this weekend,.

welded up the remaining holes

87.jpg

and started to fill,.

89.jpg

90.jpg

thanks mate ,,

if it doesnt go right this time i will have to scrapp it and use my paint money for another rado and forget the smooth idea,

this is how it used to look.,

t.jpg

si.jpg

just a couple of pics nearlly done now !!

in etch

car.jpg

and filler primer

car3.jpg

and started the other side

car2.jpg

and full shot

all.jpg

cant wait to finnish this now but had to stop because of the weather :(

i was running a 16v rad with spal fan .,but when it goes back together will be vr rad and inline filler with 2 spal fans.,

i was running a 16v rad with spal fan .,but when it goes back together will be vr rad and inline filler with 2 spal fans.,

Running a rallye item at the mo...not sure how long it will last tho...yours looks like it has the inlets/outlets etc in the right place

looking good mate,deffo alot of effort goin in there shud look realy good once it painted up!

i run an audi 80 rad so i can get my intercooler pipes round the sides,i couldnt with a vr one. with one 12" spal fan and mines always been very very cool well supprised at just how good it is as i thought it mite not do as my intercooler covers most of it. and it was pretty cheap on ebay but it doesnt mount straight up.

not sure what rad to use now my 16v 1 kept it cool but would like the pipes on the other side like in a mk1 golf would a top fill rad from mk1 be ok ??? as same size as 16v but has top fill so no need for an inline cap with overflow.,

couple more pics all in shape now just needs to flat and paint but weather forcast showing lots of rain on its way so wont be in paint for a wile., :(

cv.jpg

cxd.jpg

untitledfdfg.jpg

ghj.jpg

will have to get in the shed and paint the servo and start stipping the subframe until the weather gets better.,

i managed to smooth the servo now and get some paint on.,

B4

b4.jpg

stipped

bares.jpg

smoothed.,

er1.jpg

then after lots of sanding etch primer ,filler primer, gray and then red primer finnally got some paint on.,

er.jpg :D