Sign in to follow this  
20vtvw

dark burgundy pearl VR ,8and 9x16 OZ vegas

looking good man, why grey and red primer???

I can only asume its because some colours require certain coloured primers to make the colour the propper shade, if i understand right, depending what primer you use, ie, white/black light/dark, it affects the final shade?

I once had a pearlesant colour on my old car when having a full respray, and when i brought the paint i had to get a certain primer/base coat before the top coat.

Neil

Love the bay!!!!! That is what I want to do next year. Looks great as does the servo. :D

looking good man, why grey and red primer???

I can only asume its because some colours require certain coloured primers to make the colour the propper shade, if i understand right, depending what primer you use, ie, white/black light/dark, it affects the final shade?

I once had a pearlesant colour on my old car when having a full respray, and when i brought the paint i had to get a certain primer/base coat before the top coat.

Neil

Yeah the red primer would have been needed as the top coat was red and like u say it effects the final colour i just wondered why spray grey before it, was wondering if i'm missing something thats all

Thanks for the comments,

i sprayed the gray primer then realised i needed red primer to get the correct shade but then found it was too dark so gave it a quick coat of flash red then tornado red over that and some clear coat , :scratch: now its spot on and very shiney!!(will put some pics up later.,)

my painter came to see the car on saturday to give me a quote and said hes going away in mid june (when i wanted it painting)so has to be done b4 he goes.,so now have a bit of a rush on to get the engine and wirering done b4 then.,

will put some progress pics as and when ,,now on with my subframe then clean up the engine and ask a friend to hide the wires for me.,

wile the car is away for paint i plan to get the wheels re-built ,get the dash A,BandC pillers and centre console done in cream flock(will be re done in leather at some point ) so it can all be reasembled when it comes back.,

ah cool, u using a gun or cans? at work(on super yachts) we've been putting 3 coats of primer before top coat, white, grey then white, reason being so we can see if when break through a layer when sanding but never heard of it being done on cars, and was wondering if u did it for a similar reason. Anyway top work mate, looking forward to seeing it all finished :)

:shrug: only has so many layers as 1st was etch to protect then filler primer to fill scratch marks then got the wrong colour ect.,all done with rattle cans.,very happy with the finnish.,

couple of pics with lacquer and servo now fitted.,

car3-1.jpg

car2-1.jpg

car1.jpg

me and my mate will be checking the looms on friday and seeing were to run them .,

im tring to sort out someone to powdercoat my subframe at moment,

and im going to have to get a new windscreen as ive burnt mine with welding splatter :epicfail:

Yeah agree good job with cans, ever since i started using guns i hate using cans now, such a small fan pattern out of a can,but top marks to ya bud :salute: gonna be good to see this finished, gonna look sweet i reckon

awsome finish mate!

How many rattle cans did it take of each different type?

and i see you've taken the air intake for the interior heaters out, how will that work now?

thanks for the comments,

it took 4 cans of primer and about 7 red then 2 clear would probably cost less to get it done in paint shop but i like to do as much as possible myself,and the finnish looks better than in the pics..

i have removed the heater matrix and pipes so wont have any worm air ,but will keep the motor and ducts with holes drilled just above the motor to recirc air from inside .,the car gets pretty worm inside anyway and wont be driven when its really cold outside but might look into an electric heater at a later date.,

its just a shame to have to put an engine in there and clutter it up but cant wait to drive it again,.

found a bit more work to do behind rear quarter window., :censored:

er2.jpg

er-1.jpg

started to weld up the holes

er4.jpg

didnt get chance remove the other side just hope its better than this.,but at least the window was easy to remove :lol:

bay is looking realy good now,top job,shame ya found the rust under the window how did ya get it out in the end with a wire?

this side was sitting on rust so near enough fell out,.but did run round it with stanley nife then cut round with normal wire,the seal looks perfect so shouldnt be a problem putting it back in after paint .,

only have a couple of weeks left to prep everything ,might have to fit engine after its done (with great care)

hows yours coming along?

kinda lost the plot a bit and decided to replace everthing that was dirty or rusty :) so its taking me ages altho the guy at the vw parts department loves me. il have to put some more pics on.

ha ha, :lol: i whent to service mine and ended up with a turbo engine smooth bay leather ect..

now the bay looks so good im realy gonna have to clean up the engine or it will look out of place,

well my car is booked in for the 1st of june for a full respray he said it will take about a week now that ive stripped everything off the car,

but i did brake the drivers side rear window and vw want £234 for a new one so hoping i can get a second hand 1 wile the cars away.

i will put pics up when it returns .,

i got some fk highsport coilovers the other day and have fitted the rears to see how the wheels will sit.,

i need to get some 5x112 rear discs made up so i can fit them properly but this gives an idea of the finnished look.,

oooo.jpg

thats with 215 40 16 tyres but im thinking of running 205 40s to give just a little more clearence., :norty:

well its still not in for paint as i found some hidden rust and a large dent that was just hidden with masses of filler., :nono:

sdf.jpg

jhu.jpg

so it wont be painted now until my painter is back from holls in july .,but i have found a corrado breaking near were im working so im off to cut out all the bits i need from that to replace my bent and rusty bits.,

thanks ,well ive been busy cleaning all engine bits and got a td passat gearbox cleaned that and painted it,got a section of sill to replace my rusty bit but havent welded it in yet .,im hoping to have the engine all back in b4 it goes into paint on the 11th july then just a case of rebiulding it back up ,i have a list as long as my arm of things still to do but mainly small things.,

klo.jpg

c-1.jpg

b.jpg

2-2.jpg

3-2.jpg

fg.jpg

hopefully will all blend in as leather is cream and looked great against the red imo,like srawberrys and cream :luvlove:

looking good mate cleaning all the parts is a right pain :) are you still hoping to get it to vw festival im not sure im gunna be finished in time.