Sign in to follow this  
was8v

If you think the Corrado is difficult to work on....

Think again. I've gone from a Corrado VR6 to Audi TT coupe 225.

Now its quicker and more comfortable than the Corrado, but the engine bay is unbelievably tight.

I had to change the thermostat by finger tip with a glimmer of torch light. No job on the C was ever so fiddly.

Theres a million pipes in the engine bay, from air con to air injection.

Changing the oil involved removing the stupid undertray with a million screws. The oil filter had to be squeezed past a bunch of pipes.

The fuel filter? Another "undertray" and weird plastic fittings.

Its a miracle of packaging, but not as nice to work on as a C :?

Cars aren't built to maintain these days, only to assemble, which is why you end up with stupid designs like the headlight bulbs that need the front bumper removed, my mk4 needs the engine mount removed to do the cambelt :cuckoo:

I was in the garage the other day and they had a passat 2.5TDI with the front of the car totally in pieces, I asked what on earth had happened to it, 'cambelt change' was the reply, big old bill for that customer...

.....makes you think these car manufactueres planned it :wink:.....the harder it gets for you or I to work on these cars the easier it is to justify stupidly expensive dealer mechanics !!

My mate has recently bought an 07 plate TT, the engine bay looks like a nightmare.

Having a KR lump in a bay the size of the rado is sooooo easy im comparison.

My girlfriend's MK7 Polo 1.8T has all the same crap as the TT under the bonnet and equally tight, but I find it a piece of p1ss to work on :D

do you have small childs hands? lol

i find working on the corrado sometimes easy, sometimes a pain. usually easy tho!

my mk4 needs the engine mount removed to do the cambelt :cuckoo:

Same with the TT! The cambelt is on my list for next weekend!

I remember doing the belt on my old Mk2 8v Golf GTI, there was acres of space round that!

On the latest shape Discovery to change a fuel pump belt (or something like that) you have to remove the entire body!!!

Try doing that on the driveway.

.....makes you think these car manufactueres planned it :wink:.....the harder it gets for you or I to work on these cars the easier it is to justify stupidly expensive dealer mechanics !!

My thoughts exactly, MAKE you have to take it to them. A lass at work was saying she went and bought a bulb and she was asked if she needed it fitting and said 'yes'. He said you'll have to book it in as the car needs to be on the ramps and bumper off to get to the headlight..... WTF!???? :confused4: :cuckoo:

for next weekend!

not sure whether its the tdi lump in a golf or a 1.8t lump in the tt that u cant get the engine mounting out with out taking the water pump off, so basicly you have to work around the mounting floating around the cam belt area. enjoy :D

It's just part of the continuing process to try to ensure that first of all the dealers get work and secondly that the work so that complicated only the dealers have the knowledge to do it.

Front bumper removal is not a massive task and they have been designed to come off for servicing since the Corrado, it's just a pain if you don't have space to remove it and put it somewhere safe while you work; fine in a workshop but stuffed in a single garage/driveway that most home mechanics work in/on.

:wink: what you get for buying a TT :wave:

lol, first ribbing from the CF for buying a TT!

But what else is there in the VAG stable thats as quick as Corrado VR6, full complement of airbags and decent NCAP score, sub 90k miles and under £5k?

Leon cupra Rs are just clipping into that price range but they have too many doors and most are 110k+