Sign in to follow this  
Mawrick

What paint for painting a VR6 engine?

Anyone have any tips on what paint one should use to paint a VR6 engine?........

I'm thinking of sandblasting it first, would maybe also need some kind of primer first?

Also heard that hammerrite paint is a good thing for this, anyone have any experience with it as "engine" paint?.

Also heard that some of the heat-resistant paint won't dry up before the engine have been real hot, making it a bit messy to maybe put the engine back in the car as it's not dry?.

Any tips appreciated!

Hello mate,

Not painted an engine before but i dont think you have to prime it. As long as you remove any grease and dirt as to allow the paint to apply correctly. In regards to the High Temperature paint, it will dry like normal paint. But it is recommended that the item that is being painted with the HT paint be cured by means of baking it in an oven or it may not be as good as it could be.I sprayed a Stainless Steel manifold with some heat resistant paint and it flaked off badly. I know it may be different no the engine itself. Im not sure if Hammerite resists heat?

I got the hammerite tip from a guy I know, which does a lot of car/mechanical things.

He had personal experience from painting the engine he have in his triumph....:)

(I was just thinking that maybe the VR6 would be hotter then his triumph engine?)..........was why I wanted to ask.

Members on here have used Hammerite, so i guess it does the job.. But the VHT paint you can get will only work well (i assume) if its put in an oven to bake the paint.

Hammerite is oil based so not really the best stuff...

Frost sell proper engine lacquer that will resist heat, oil, fuel etc

Maybe look on eBay too.

Hammerite is oil based so not really the best stuff...

Frost sell proper engine lacquer that will resist heat, oil, fuel etc

Maybe look on eBay too.

Could have sworn ive read members using black Hammerite paint, maybe not. :shrug:

I've used hammerite on mine and so far it seems fine. That was last year (about 5000 miles ago) and it still seems fine.

You need acid etch primer once its cleaned up, then satin black , both from spray cans, keep the block warm while painting it. If you fancy heat proof matt black dont think you need the primer, they might expand at differant rates and crack, but matt black on its own will not give a depth of colour. Have tried to load pictures but cant hack it but if you check my members gallery some evidence on there, hope this helps!

I've used VHT paint with a pot & brush on the downpipe of my CBR before with not very good results. It's because I was an impatient git though, and didn't clean up the downpipe sufficiently.

Make sure the engine is spotless before you paint it on, and leave plenty of time for it to dry otherwise it will just smell bad & flake off when you apply heat.

Good luck,

Cheers,

Tom