Sign in to follow this  
_leon_

VR6 not starting after refitting battery

I had my battery out for a few days due to charging it - on fitting it back in fully charged - my VR can refuse to start. First off, as soon as i had connected the terminals again and closed the bonnet, the alarm (scorpion 500/0) set off, so disabled it using the fob. Got in and tried to fire the car up - could hear the fuel pump priming fine, 12v showing in the voltage gauge, usual lights in the instrument cluster - and as soon as i turned the key again to fire - I heard a few abrupt clicks (cant be sure of where theyre coming from), the car didnt reach sparking up - and then everything went dead - no more lights/readings from the instrument cluster, no power to the voltage gauge etc - i also couldnt get anything from re-turning the key in the ignition, or from trying to enable the alarm again. The only thing I seemingly could do was to disconnect the battery and reconnect. On one attempt engaging the central locking seemed to allow me to set the alarm again.

I have changed both the ECU and fuel pump relay while the battery was out - I am tempted to revert back to the old relays. Could they be anythign to do with it? What can I test?

Can anyone help me out by telling me what is actually going on? Or what issues the car has? And on my last attempt, the bonnet cable snapped - i did ask myself a few questions after that!

Any help appreciated...

Do you have another battery you could at least borrow, just to try? Sounds to me like the battery has had it, to be honest.

i understand it that the engine does not crank? maybe the immobiliser going to the starter has tripped in?

yep the engine isnt even getting to crank over. i immediately thought the immobiliser was preventing it. but no idea what to do next

I had the same problem with mine after removing the battery, turns out the ECU has went :( . hope its not the same for you. See if you can get someone with VAGCOM to plug in, at least that will let you know if the ECU has any faults

Does it click when you turn the key?? Could be the starter motor thats stuck if it does. Happened to me, thought the immoboliser was broken, could just hear a click when i turned the key, turned out to be the starter. Turned the key and kept it turned while at the same time someone gave the starter a shock with a pole. Been alright since. worth a try?? Although it has no connection to you fitting a new battery, but could just be coincidence?

Had the same problem with a flat battery when I had the Scorpion fitted and called the AA and he disconnected the battery for about 15 mins then reconnected and jump started the car. He said that battery problems can sometimes screw up the alarm and resetting it in this way sorts the problem. Worth a try just to see.

I think it's your battery and at a guess you may have a cell gone.

It may show the correct voltage, but won't be able to supply enough current to turn the starter.

I would borrow another one and try that, jump leads may not work if the battery is goosed.

Why did you have to recharge it in the 1st place - OK I know it must have been flat ....

are you resetting the immob. in the correct way, i've had to take battery on and off a few times trying to resync the fob etc, sometimes it doesn't work 1st time

its definately not his battery, he has an optima yellow top and when the car was running yesterday it cranked the engine with ease.

thanks a lot for the replies - seems fixed now. its a case of 'i dont know why or how, but it works'! it must be some quirk with the scorpion system - i couldnt see any pattern in what was happening yesterday - however today though it just seemed to work fine after it was left for a while. So what A1 VR6 suggested is likely bang on what I had. It was like a series of clicks i heard as soon as the ignition was turned to start the car. Just hope I don't reply to this thread tomorrow with more problems...

And to top it off - i got the stuck bonnet open by literally just pulling on the S shaped bracket on the end of the cord with a pair of pliers = bonnet open. :)