Sign in to follow this  
mistrall

car wont start :( plz advise :) posible relay ?

hi, well after driving from a vw meet i lost all power and the car wouldnt start - along came the AA who was a nice chap.

He told Me that its an electrical falt as there is no power to various componants when he put his multi meter on bits in the engine bay, he recomended looking at a rellay, Ok heres my queston - what or were are the relays kept lol - the fuel pump doesnt start when i turn the key but the engine does try to turn over just no start.

it did sound like a fuse blew or poped but i cant see one thats gone. anny advise plz guys, manny thanks in advance! x mistrall.

relayes are above the fuse box which is located behind the underdash pocket on the drivers side

try looking there not sure which number the fuel pump fuse is but it will tell you on the fusebox cover thing

Fuse 8 (I think) is for the fuel pump (and spoiler)

Relay 67 - blue one - in the lower right of the fuse/relay board is also for the fuel pump.

hanks guys, i had a look yesterday at the fuse box - there was a 30 amp fuze blown (one of 2 that sit up wih the relays) do you know what that one does? every time i put a new one in it blows :(

I can't see the fuse you mean on mine.

Here's a (blurry) picture of my board, compare it with yours and see if we are talking about the same thing. If not, what model and age is your car? I'll look it up in Bentley manual.

PICT0090.jpg

Mines got the 2 random fuses above the relays as well, I'd be interested in finding out what they do!

Reggit: If its the same as my 95 valver, that blue thingy sitting above relay 18 is roughly where these 2 fuses sit, with the wiring disapearing off somewhere, I thought they may be for an alarm or something.

Don't know all of them, and haven't found the bit with the 2 fuses in on mine.

relay 18 which you marked 3 is for the ABS (as least on my VR6).

I'll look into the other bits later.

18 seem to be "Load reduction relay" (Think it cuts out power to things you don't need at the time you "start" the car).

Relay 100: Secondary Air Pump

According to this thread:

http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/VW/MKIII/V ... on_DIY.pdf

(if you search for relay 100 you should find it).

Not sure about the fuses though...:(

EDIT: you sure 18 is for ABS???, doesn't seem to be in bentley???, if I have read correct...;)

Mawrick's right about the relay (18) being the load reduction one, I was having a 'senior moment'! :roll:

According to bentley, the higher relay board, where your fuses are, vary depending on vehicle and option content. However, I haven't found mention of fuses fitted there yet.

Found the following in the 'instruction manual' that was supplied new with the car (on page 111 if you have the book)

Additional fuses (in seperate holders above relay plate)

Fuse for ABS motor relay - 30A

Fuse for ABS main relay - 30A

Fuse for air conditioner - 30A

Fuse for electric windows - 20A

Fuse for electric restraint system (ERS) - 30A

Fuse for reversing lights (auto only) - 5A

Fuse for cruise control system (auto only) - 5A

Looks like the mystery fuses are probably for the ABS

I was wrong with the fuse number for the fuel pump, it's 18 in the main bank, probably worth a look.

ok thanks for the help guys - managed to tow her to a garage and the wire from the lambda probe had melted and gone onnto the exaust creating a bad earth lol..