Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Oh no, Haywire's at it again!

Instead of getting into the festive spirit and drinking merrily, Haywire is messing with his Corrado......sad boy :lol:

High level brake light in progress......

The panel you see is the upper tailgate trim. I've fudged in a Hella LED unit which is VERY bright and should keep the arse sniffers away from my rump.....

As usual, pics on the car to follow....

K

Have a good Xmas y'all.....

And the finished product ready to go on the car......I'm just hoping my alignment calculations were correct, otherwise it'll point at the sky!!

K

ooooh, that looks neat... 8)

Let's see where it points when fitted to the car.... :wink: 8)

Here's a few more pics. I couldn't get the lighting right to a rear on view of the car as the reflection of the sky on the glass overpowered the LEDs! I'll try again when it's a bit darker.

As promised here is the night shot. Sorry for the pic quality, the camera wobbled cause I haven't got a tripod! But it gives you an idea at least.

It's not quite as bright as the picture suggests, so I will be playing about with resistor values in the New Year to fine tune it.

K

Whoa!

Wash your car Kev!!! :D :D ;)

Looks like a good mod though.. nice work! :)

As much as I love the car, I hate cleaning it, although as it's Christmas, I did treat it to a clean. Next one will be in June sometime :wink:

OK, to make one of those brake lights, you just need to go to Halfords and get a Hella universal brake light (LED type), bin it's plastic housing and then slot the LED array and diffuser into the upper tailgate trim. The LED array has an offboard voltage reducer, so at a later date you can play about with resistor values to alter the brightness - without touching the finished light.

Top tip: By a dremel! You'll need it.

The wires simply plug into the light cluster's towbar outputs, so no need to chop the VW loom. Neat!

Excellent new forum look by the way, well done Andi. Quick work.

Kev

Its kinda funny actually, but I always hated to see my Corrado get even slightly dirty. One wash a week, regardless of the weather outside!!

I even wash my Saxo about once every two weeks even though I hate it.. :)

Its kinda funny actually, but I always hated to see my Corrado get even slightly dirty. One wash a week, regardless of the weather outside!!

I even wash my Saxo about once every two weeks even though I hate it.. :)

I'm the other way. I've always hated cleaning my cars! It's the chamois leathering bit afterwards....I get bored after 2 minutes! I'd rather make things for the Corrado than clean it :lol:

Having said that, when I *do* clean it, it gets the works. Bumper care, instant tyre dressing, hoovering, door, bonnet and tailgate sills polished etc etc. Just need to do it more often!

K

Kev, you're getting too clever with these mods... :wink:

What with your rear wiper lupo thingy, AF gauge, and then this, what are us poor mortals supposed to do to impress?!? :wink: :lol: 8)

Real nice one, i was looking for A 3rd brake light mod like that, but i couldn't find a 3rd brake light that would be small enough to fit...

Does it say a type? only hella 3rd brake light i've seen out here is real big and nasty looking :?

Looking good Kev - as ever !!! :-)

What resistor values are you playing with - the standard ones in the Hella unit?

I fitted a Hella one to my C about 6 months back (just stuck to the inside of the taligate glass - not as neat as yours!) but the middle third has stopped working :-( - your mod might give me the incentive to rip it out, fix it and put it back in a bit neater ;-)

Kev, you're getting too clever with these mods... :wink:

What with your rear wiper lupo thingy, AF gauge, and then this, what are us poor mortals supposed to do to impress?!? :wink: :lol: 8)

Cheers! I'm running out of things to do now!

K