Sign in to follow this  
poacher

bike rack

Need to transport a few Mountain bikes on my VR6, what do you guys use? any suggestions?

Would prefer a roof mounted system, anyone do them ?

CHEERS

I've got a Thule roof rack. It's pretty good quality, but it doesn't grip the roof as well as I would like, having a tendency to slide back and inch or so on long journeys. I should maybe tighten it a bit more, but I'm already cranking it up quite a lot. If you do go down the Thule route, you don't need the short roof adaptor thing. I'm not sure why this was ever recommended; there are even little arrows above the rear windows showing you where to put the clamps.

I went to see a used Fabia with a friend who is thinking about buying one last week. One of the nice touches is its roof strips have some kind of clip arrangement to attach roof bars to, so it's more secure than the old body work hugging ones and won't scratch the paint either. I'm really tempted to look into doing some sort of conversion at some point...

I've got a Thule roof rack. It's pretty good quality, but it doesn't grip the roof as well as I would like, having a tendency to slide back and inch or so on long journeys. I should maybe tighten it a bit more, but I'm already cranking it up quite a lot. If you do go down the Thule route, you don't need the short roof adaptor thing. I'm not sure why this was ever recommended; there are either little arrows above the rear windows showing you where to put the clamps..

I use this. Have to say not had any problems with the rack slipping, is incredibly sturdy.

Run two Thule 591 carriers on top.

Matt

Having three bikes on the roof and booting it on the twisties on the A701 probably didn't help. I guess I just hate bodywork clamping stuff -- it's so naff.

As above, Thule roof bars and decent make of bike carrier. Yes, the clamp-on stuff seems a bit agricultural but it does work. Got to the coast and back with two mountain bikes strapped to the roof without any problems over the weekend.

May have to shorten the bike carrier bars on some makes if you want to be able to open the boot fully.

Oh and it does make a difference to the mpg. :(

noooooooooooooo, don't let the scene boys get hold of this information!!! ROOFRACKS :nono: there will be ratted rado's with old picnic boxes and tricyles at shows across the country.

transportation of goods only allowed

Don't see what the problem is myself, how else you gonna get the bikes to where you're going.........we went from Derbyshire to Suffolk like this!

noooooooooooooo, don't let the scene boys get hold of this information!!! ROOFRACKS :nono: there will be ratted rado's with old picnic boxes and tricyles at shows across the country.

transportation of goods only allowed

i feel that i must do this to mine, just for you :)

:lol: i feel so special. just to make clear i am of course joking and not having a go...

FOUR! :shock:

Proper hardcore mate. :salute:

Wasn't sure it would take four bikes at once.

If you do go down the Thule route, you don't need the short roof adaptor thing. I'm not sure why this was ever recommended; there are either little arrows above the rear windows showing you where to put the clamps.

I heard that too. But after I'd already bought a set!

Anyway. Findings for anyone who cares is that no, you don't need the short roof kit, but without it the bars are quite close together at about 580mm between bar centres.

Add the 477 Kit in and you can space the rear bar a bit further back making the whole thing a bit more stable (720mm between bars) especially with big things mounted on top. Seeing as 477 kits come up on eBay all the time (think mine was £10 +p&p) I'd say it was worth it.

My before & after pics on this thread: http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43066&p=787294

FOUR! :shock:

Proper hardcore mate. :salute:

Wasn't sure it would take four bikes at once.

It does make it a little shall we say interesting if you throw it into a corner enthusiastically, could maybe be dialled out with more compression damping :shrug:

We do by the way have the complete Thule kit with the spreader bars, I've carried windsurfers lots of times and some big piles of wood when I was extending the house, you just have to plan ahead a bit!

:lol: i feel so special. just to make clear i am of course joking and not having a go...

oh but of course :D