Sign in to follow this  
Mawrick

Are the KW's a "smooth ride" ? (V1, V2, V3)

didnt think KW did clubsports for the C from looking at their brochure? or have they added them recently?

You use MK3 Golf ones.

kev - what do kw competition off then? - i was goign to be ordering clubsports because of the negative camber issues you seem to get with the syncro conversions, i was hopign that might help to solve it if not i'll have to mod the trialing arms and use an eccentric washer on the pivot bolt - not ideal!

Competition is the mutts, you can have off the shelf or built to your own spec.... but I've just looked at the price of the 3 ways.....nearly £5200!! :shock:

Sorry, I wasn't aware you wanted the Clubsport for a specific reason. Do they include a solution for the camber issues with synchro conversions then?

didnt think KW did clubsports for the C from looking at their brochure? or have they added them recently?

yep mk3 golf vr6 syncro ones... but looking again i dont think they have any adjustability on the rears looking on venoms site, they sell clubsports for the mk3 vr syncro but when you look at buying jut the top mounts they are only available for the front :shrug: - i'm hastily looking into it atm as i need some quick as to get the chassis rolling when the floor goes in next weekend and i'd imagine there'll be a delivery lead time of some sort from the fatherland!

I was picking v3's because the car when i'm finished is not going to be the same weight balance as a mk3 vr syncro with all the changes i'm foing and in aC body so was hoping to get some friends who are ride and handling engineers to help set the car up right (i hope!)

hmm frustrated now as all syncro conversions seem so suffer this low beetle stylee negative camber problem and i want to enjoy the car wthout worrying about the tyres shredding or the inner lip of the wheel getting damaged if i get a puncture!

o if competitions are that much they can wait till i win the lottery and i hope they do an R8 version! :lol:

I know they are different suspension but when i pit my FK's on the softest setting, the back end was way too walloway, even cornering mildly fast was not nice, i dont see why you would want to set them to the softest.

I didn't say I will go for softest settings, but I'm looking for a nice ride, not a "kidney crusher" ride (the roads around here isn't the best in this world ;) ).

That's why I think maybe the V1 will fit me better than the V3 (if the V3 are harder at any settings)...;)

You won't get that from any uprated suspension on a Corrado.

You can specify different spring rates on V3s, and possibly the lower spec ones too. That's where you're going to have make the compromises to get the pensioner ride quality you're after.

Don't know what's on the car now, but it sounds like you'd be better off trying something like 2nd hand Koni TAs with H&R springs to start with rather than quality coilovers, to see what you like and don't like and go from there. You can never adjust the spring rates anyway, they're fixed unless you change the springs themselves. It's the damping that's adjustable on V2s & V3s, to tune handling of the car on stiffer springs to suit your style.

If KWs are a 'must have' there are their Street Comforts, which have adjustable damping, and might give you what you want, tho' I've no idea what they're like.

No point in spending money on an expensive exercise in disappointment, mate. Take a progressive route.

After trying uprated springs and shocks and were damping adjustable them going coilover i would now always go coilover. For the most part they are alot more comfortable than standard stuff and yes the roads are really bad around my way too its just the odd time they are worse its the trade off you live with. Coilovers are not the bone shakers they used to be. I would def go adjustable damping even if you never change once set up but at least you can fine tune the ride you want and increase the balance of the car with more over/understeer

As Kev and Anton say above you will never get OE ride quality from Coilovers and certainly not from ones under £1000

I am running KW V1's on one car and OE VW (Sachs) shocks on the other with H&R OE sport springs... the difference in handling is negligable but the ride quality is night and day...

The ride height is about the same on both (50mm from standard with equal gaps around the arches and wishbones parrellel) - cornering is better with the KW's but the springs are firmer and it sometimes feels less planted than the other car on bumpy roads... The ride quality isn't bad but you're kidding yourself if you think it's anything like as comfortable as the standard setup... tbh, if the roads round here don't improve I will seriously think about binning the Variant 1's and buying new shocks and springs again from VW!

Lets not forget that the Corrado was (and still is) one of the best handling FWD cars ever built!

... tbh, if the roads round here don't improve I will seriously think about binning the Variant 1's and buying new shocks and springs again from VW!

I'll have the Variants then mate?!? :wink:

You don't want them round here on a daily mate... honestly they are harsh... I'm driving the G60 most days and I'm going to need dental work soon...

Well this is the things as I only use mine once a week so not sure it'd not be a problem hopefully. How about a swap with my weitec GT shocks and springs? :wink: :lol:

hmm, ok, maybe should consider the stock then, as right now it's on supersport, and for me that's way to harsh ride.

... tbh, if the roads round here don't improve I will seriously think about binning the Variant 1's and buying new shocks and springs again from VW!

I'll have the Variants then mate?!? :wink:

Griffon_Vultures_flying_JC6M9095-thm-432x413.jpg

Do it Mic, they are fine, even on the mean streets of Londinum! :nuts:

hmm, ok, maybe should consider the stock then, as right now it's on supersport, and for me that's way to harsh ride.

Well thats your problem mate, cheapo supersports, you get what you pay for with suspension.

Just get the V2's mate you will love them.

hehe, yea, the supersport was on it when I bought it....;)

So is it very soft with stock?

cheers!

Stop talking about are they soft, no coilover suspension is "soft", they can be firm and supple.

I am running KW V1's on one car and OE VW (Sachs) shocks on the other with H&R OE sport springs... the difference in handling is negligable but the ride quality is night and day...

The ride height is about the same on both (50mm from standard with equal gaps around the arches and wishbones parrellel) - cornering is better with the KW's but the springs are firmer and it sometimes feels less planted than the other car on bumpy roads... The ride quality isn't bad but you're kidding yourself if you think it's anything like as comfortable as the standard setup... tbh, if the roads round here don't improve I will seriously think about binning the Variant 1's and buying new shocks and springs again from VW!

It's interesting what you say about your scenarios because I found the standard VR6 suspension to be both under sprung and under damped, yet still crashy over pot holes and bumps. That crashiness is just how Corrados are, regardless of suspension type. It's just an old car with Cart and horse suspension technology. Actually scrap that, Horse and carts actually gave a better ride quality over medievil cobbled streets!

If you want handling AND ride quality, you need a British made suspension setup. They know the roads and valve the dampers accordingly. Lotus manage to get amazing handling from mild spring rates, so it's defo possible. German kits as I keep saying go over the top with spring and damper rates to give a 'sporty' feel. But as I also keep saying, you can specify a more comfort orientated spring rate with nearly all setups.

hehe, well I wasn't realy after "that soft", more of maybe a bit softer then the supersport thingy (realy wasn't *that* bad either), but as the Corrado won't be my daily, it's not a problem.

I settled for the V1's though......hopefully will be satisfied with em...;)

hehe, well I wasn't realy after "that soft", more of maybe a bit softer then the supersport thingy (realy wasn't *that* bad either), but as the Corrado won't be my daily, it's not a problem.

I settled for the V1's though......hopefully will be satisfied with em...;)

from what i have heard im sure you will, but just out of interest please let me know what you think of them as it seems we are of a similar mindset with regards to suspension set up. I have been considering V1s for ages..just need to find the cash..id love V2s or 3s but realistically i am not going to be able to afford them for a very long time.