Sign in to follow this  
craigowl

Anyone else for scrappage, cheps?

Turning Nipponese.

First time for me. We have put down deposit for Yaris SR 1.4D

Cannot miss scrappage offer as we are both retired.

£35 tax and overall "69mpg" they say. Max 109mph 0-60 in about 10.5 secs. Dont laugh - that was "sports car" performance in the 1970s. (Faster than coupes like 1600cc Manta, Capri, Celica, etc.)

Downside is that our trusty, faultless 18-year old Pugit 205 GLD with 99700 miles on bombproof 50mpg engine and MOT till Feb 2010 has to meet the crusher. What a waste and a sin! Why not give us £2k to keep it?

They are not getting my Alpine ICE - £20 on ebay "new and boxed" a few months ago.

Any market for intact 205 parcel shelves, spare with unused Pirelli, etc?

It's a ludicrous system. As you say you're crushing a perfectly good car for no real reason. You sure you couldn't negotiate £2k off the new car anyway?? I'd bet you'd get closer than you'd think, and the 205 has to be worth £500 of that on it's own.

Might be interesting to test this scrappage system by removing as much as you can -presumably it just needs to be in an MOT passable state? but even then who would check if you had taken important stuff off just before delivering to the garage? Best of both worlds territory :norty:

You could probably negotiate a similar cut down anyway wit higher priced cars, but you'd struggle with the cheaper models.

I'd give them the bare minimum that entails a 'car' and scrap the rest myself for extra cash. They'd end up with a rolling chassis!

dr _mat said

You sure you couldn't negotiate £2k off the new car anyway?? I'd bet you'd get closer than you'd think, and the 205 has to be worth £500 of that on it's own.

For the first time ever, I did a really strong haggle and am getting the car from my nearest garage in Falkirk.

As a bargaining tool, I used the low price offered on the car by a company somewhere in England on the website "carquake".

They could do an SR for less than my first quote for TR.

I went back to local guy and he came within £150 of low price from English dealer for SR! (Less than delivery to Scotland, that.)

Do you think they would take an mot'd vr with the leather interior removed and solid bars replacing the coilovers? Would be fun driving it there.

I've got some totally old and screwed coilovers sitting in a box in my garage.. you could fit those if you were so inclined? Getting em to you would be costly tho...

Thanks for the offer, but I wouldnt buy a brand new car. Im looking at an RX-8 and they are about 20k new or 11k for a year old one.

dr _mat said

You sure you couldn't negotiate £2k off the new car anyway?? I'd bet you'd get closer than you'd think, and the 205 has to be worth £500 of that on it's own.

For the first time ever, I did a really strong haggle and am getting the car from my nearest garage in Falkirk.

I went back to local guy and he came within £150 of low price from English dealer for SR! (Less than delivery to Scotland, that.)

Hmm. You are scrapping the 205, or you aren't scrapping it because you negotiated such a good deal without it ... ? Confused now!

Sorry - I know what I mean - I think!

205 scrappage is in deal but I am now getting SR for similar price to his first quote for TR after showing what I could get SR for from dealer in England.

I expect if one waits until December, a few £hundred or £k more will be there for determined hagglers.

Pics are of Pug's last camping trip to Highlands a couple of days ago. Still trying to remember all the settings on that EOS30D! :confused4:

......... Still trying to remember all the settings on that EOS30D! :confused4:

Not sure you're supposed to remember them, I've had a 30D almost 3 years and it's still half guesswork!

I think this scheme is one of the stupidest things ever!!!

Perfectly good cars that cost not much to run are going to be scrapped for new shit boxes.

Wouldnt be so bad if the dealers were allowed to break them or sell them on but being made to scrap them is just ridiculous

Wouldnt be so bad if the dealers were allowed to break them or sell them on but being made to scrap them is just ridiculous

It's just another demonstration of government's short sightedness when it comes to green issues. The costs involved in raw materials and energy consumption vastly outweigh the savings achieved by replacing a still serviceable car. To add insult to injury the poor old tax payer (you and me) have to then foot the bill for a £1,000 discount while the dealer laughs all the way to the bank as he only has to discount the full list price by another £1,000, he'd most likely have needed to offer a much more substantial discount had it been a simple cash sale. And finally, the car rather than having good parts recycled to keep other cars on the road has to be crushed. Whoever came up with such a scheme must have been spending his/her expense allowance on class A drugs.

Remember they are the same people who subsidise the price of a Prius and consider it green even though any normal small car without resorting to the use of exotic materials can better the wonder Toyota's fuel consumption figures. :cuckoo:

Exactly. It's taking cheap reliable cars off the road and replacing them with expensive new cars. You could even consider it as a drain on the poorest motorists being used to subsidise the purchase of new cars.. Is this "New" labour then? I guess so.

I had heard that the cars for the chop were dismantled for recyclable materials at the nominated facility.

I agree about the cockeyedness of the scheme. The large amount of energy used to make the 205 nearly 20 years ago need not be wasted if people like us could afford to ignore the "offer" and keep it running for who knows how long. Clearly, the governments' who are implimenting the scheme only want to kick start the car manufacturing industries above everything else. I suppose if anyone on here's job was at stake they would not be calling the scheme cockeyed?

What about the vast amount of new spares for scrapped models like the 205 sitting in stock around the world? The enegy used to make them has been wasted.

The pm10 particulates from old technology diesels do cost health services billions, but in Scotland, eg. where the winds blow free all too frequently, is there any advantage in the trade off of scrapping a sound old tech diesel that does 50mpg just because it produces minute sooty particles that are readily dispersed and washed out? LA, Mexico City or London this town ain't. :lol:

The cars will be dismantled for recycleable materials but is this the same as dismantling and making serviceable parts available for re-use? Separating the different types of metals for scrap etc is not in the same league as selling a fully functioning ABS pump say to someone who can then keep their otherwise healthy car on the road.

This is the same government supposedly trying to give the now totally foreign owned car industry a kickstart after spending the last 12 years trying to force us out of using our cars with ever increasing tax burdens, the hypocrisy of the situation never ceases to amaze me! I agree that people employed in the industry may feel hard done to if they lose their job over it but a vast number of those jobs were already sold down the line, the huge stockpiles of cars sat near the docks are testament to how many are shipped into the country all the time rather than being built in house, successive administrations have totally failed to stop the rot in our own industries, car manufacture being just one of those.

I wouldn't suggest that the opportunity to get a £2,000 discount off a new car is a bad thing, assuming my income tax doesn't go up next year to fund it. I would however be shopping around car supermarkets etc to see if I could not get a better discounted price on a cash sale first, coupled with a few hundred quid for the sale of the 205 and you might well end up in pocket while at the same time somebody ends up with a bargain car? I could have been interested myself if I didn't live so far away from you, my 18 year old daughter rolled her Ka last night swerving to miss a fox!

Rant over, must get back to work ensuring the plant keeps churning out 1,000 tonnes of polypropylene per day, all those new cars will be needing plastic!

Next step will be consumption quotas. You must spend a certain % of your income every month or you are not a "good citizen" and you're not taking your part in supporting our fragile economy .. ;) (Hmm, sounds like a story featured in a book I read a while back..)

So far I've not seen any real data on what is supposed to happen to the scrapped cars. Can parts be sold? Can body panels be sold? Or does it all have to be simply crushed and the materials recycled? Recycling is one of the great environmental myths of this century.. Re-use is far more efficient, which is something we've sadly forgotten.

FWIW, I read that the micro-particulates from the modern diesels are thought to be more harmful than the macro-particulates from the old ones. The sooty stuff that comes out of your 205 can be easily filtered, while the micro-particles can't, but they are easily absorbed into your bloodstream to help form clots ...

tonedef suggested:

I would however be shopping around car supermarkets etc to see if I could not get a better discounted price on a cash sale first,

Car supermarkets? FFS, as Jeremy Clarkson once said, "I would rather staple my ears to a horse!"

I'm after a quieter life now, man. You will understand later,. :)

tonedef suggested:

I would however be shopping around car supermarkets etc to see if I could not get a better discounted price on a cash sale first,

Car supermarkets? FFS, as Jeremy Clarkson once said, "I would rather staple my ears to a horse!"

Yes but you know what I'm getting at!

And Jeremy Clarkson hardly inhabits the world the rest of us have to live in, he can probably negotiate a discount on a single car sufficient to keep us in new cars for years by virtue of the kind of exposure he can give, repeatedly stating on Top Gear that he considers something so good he even bought one. I don't expect to see him rushing to the showrooms any time soon to take Alastair Darling up on his £2,000 bribe!

Good luck with the car shopping anyway, keep us up to speed on how it goes. The way my weekend's gone I'm staying away from cars, Saturday afternoon my wife managed to close the garage door on the R32 as she was still reversing in, sounds like it might need a new roof skin. Then just a few hours later my daughter turned her Ka over doing the fox evasion manoeuvre. Seems like I'm flying home next week to total carnage, at least the Corrado is behind my bike in the garage, a bike which is fortunately chained and locked to a ground anchor, the key being with me in Saudi!

The main thing is, tonedef, your girl is safe - could have been bad! :eek:

The R32, though? - Your missus deserves a good spanking when you get home, I would say. :roll:

By the way, I quoted Clarkson, but he was not using the phrase when talking about car supermarkets. He is an overgrown schoolboy but comes out with the odd flippant remark that appeals.

"I've nothing against old people driving, but I don't want to be driving along the motorway one day to find a person in the same carriageway, wearing a cap and driving towards me."

Think of this and snigger everytime I wear the bonnet!

And Jeremy Clarkson hardly inhabits the world the rest of us have to live in

Yes, he (part time) lives in a light house on the Isle of Man!

The R32, though? - Your missus deserves a good spanking when you get home, I would say. :roll:

Tell me about it :epicfail:

drive the deal is showing £10,600

for your car thats for a 3dr though.

HTH

its a shame to Break the Pug.

Dads in the same boat with his 306

60,000 miles,bonkers world we live in

Chubz

Hi, just gone on that site for quote. Will they do scrappage deal, though? Have added estimated for delivery to Scotland. Charges can be £250-£500.

Try autoquake for quote. You get the name of the dealer/phone no, etc. and can use quote and details to negotiate with your own dealer of choice.

Am getting 5-door with couple of options and drivethedeal figure is about £800 less than I am paying. Perhaps no scrappage deal from drivethe deal, though?

Anyway, for peace of mind etc. I am happier to be dealing with local Toyota dealer in Falkirk (7 miles) who is (so they said) doing the scrappage deal of £2k. They were first Toyota dealer in UK over 40 years ago - "not many people know that." :lol:

I see in "breaking news" just now that Ford are baulking about scrappage deal today. When I went to showroom, the saleswoman said a fortnight ago "availability of Fiesta may be a problem." She wasn't kidding! I kicked them into touch right away for their attitude.