Sign in to follow this  
g60rc

Drivers side head light too dim - MOT failure :(

Can anyone shed any light on why a headlight would be too dim? The bulb is there and works, but i can't see why it would be dim... Would a headlight jst get dimmer over time, so need replacement, or is there some other issue?

Cheers

corrado headlights are generally naff. its the wiring, rather than taking it straight from the 12v it takes a longer route and loses power. There are headlight looms on ebay and theres a guy on here doing them occasionally. Could try a xenon bulb to get you through as they are brighter or even just replace the bulb might work but the best bet is the uprated loom.

corrado headlights are generally naff. its the wiring, rather than taking it straight from the 12v it takes a longer route and loses power. There are headlight looms on ebay and theres a guy on here doing them occasionally. Could try a xenon bulb to get you through as they are brighter or even just replace the bulb might work but the best bet is the uprated loom.

True but there are other factors as mentioned in the next post.

The reflector coating degrades over time and will end up covered in a thin film of grease; the same happens to the inside of the headlight lense. It is recommended that you change the headlight bulbs every two years as they also degrade over time producing less light. Best bulb in my opinion is the philips xtreme power ones, rubbish chavy name but it is a very good bulb giving a clear white light instead of the usual yellow colour that comes from a corrado. Finally any damage to the headlight lense will also split the beam pattern from the bulb and furthur reduce the brightness.

So your best bet would be to replace the bulbs first, then strip and clean the headlights and finally if you are still not happy with them go for the uprated loom.

cheers guys,

I'll get on and buy some bulbs later today to see if it helps, and if not.. the loom will be on the way, not that i can really afford it lol... :mad2:

Don't forget what Yan said about the lenses getting dirty inside. The lenses come apart by popping off the metal clips and you can give them a good clean up - for FREE!!! 8) :lol:

Just make sure the seals go back ok.

Edit: Oh and don't touch the silver it'll just peel off!!

Ive got the exact same problem at the moment with mine, failed because of the drivers headlight being too dim.

Check the reflector in the lamp mate, it wants to be realy shiny and reflective, mine had almost turned to a matt finish! New bulbs did not help at all realy, made the lights a bit brighter but still MOT fail.

If it is the reflector, your better off getting a set of new lamps, as trying to fix it is next to impossible without the right equipment!