Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyVR6

Lets chat about coilovers

Chaps,

Ive been offered some newish coilovers from a Passat VR6 (don't know the make yet, don't know how many Euros) and I realise there is a 40 page thread on suspension, but I'm not too concerned with peoples experiences with a particular brand (yet!).

For now, I just want to get my head around coilovers. I used to have some on a Mk4 Polo for about a week yeeaaars ago that already had them on and was slammed -100mm when one of the struts 'blew' and I had to get the entire suspension changed for a normal -40mm setup.

Basically, although I've had lowered suspension on other cars, its only been -40mm for any real length of time, so whats the advantage of having coilovers over a standard setup? I have no intention of adjusting the ride height, its simply that these particular coilovers (so I'm told) are in good nick and are going cheap. I've heard coilovers described as 'crashy' so I can only assume that driving over a pothole or a bump is emotional?

I don't do any track racing, but I do like a sprited run when the conditions permit, I think lowering the car would really improve the looks and I imagine improve the handling making the car lower to the road.

Bit of help please chaps...what are the pros, what are the cons? I have a '95 Corrado VR6 with new standard suspension and mounts on the front and suspension on the rear that could do with replacing.

Cheers!

Found out that they are a make called 'Super Sport'. Anyone used these before or got any opinions on them? :confused4:

Apparently Venom Motorsport's 'biggest selling budget coilovers' Here

The phrase 'budget coilover' makes them sound like one to avoid :nono: although I may be corrected if someone on here has them and rates them.

Not holding my breath though :gag:

If you're on a budget, you're best off without coilovers, they'll just be in the dustbin with broken seals in two years time.

I've only experienced one rado with Supersport coilovers, but would definitely recommend you avoid them!

Every time a question similar to this one is asked, the same answer is given - you get what you pay for. Suspension is such an important factor in how a car feels to drive, it's really not worth doing it on the cheap.

If you've got no interest in changing ride height, and you're not into track days etc then i'd say you'd be better off going for the best shock/sprinf set up you can afford, and while you're at it replace all bushes/mounts.

Most of you are saying if your on a budget dont go for coilovers.

So what would be a good and cheaper alternative for beter ride and lowering about 30-40mm?

Sorry if this has been asked man times befor.

beat me to it but second that

i'm sure i have read that koni shocks and eibach (maybe h&r) springs is a good option to go for, or bilstein sports shocks and springs.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but i think i'm in a similar boat but my car has what i think are cheap coilovers already fitted. They are plastered in road grim at the moment and the car is'nt at the same height on all corners, but when i come to adjust them i recon i'm going to have problems with the threads etc being seized up!

I've had a look at the show us you drops thread and i like the look that about 600mm from top of arch to floor gives which i have on one side at the moment.

My main question is what is the standard height from top of arch to floor on a late VR, as if my coilovers prove to be seized i might well go down the shock and spring route myself but i'd still like to end up with a similar drop/stance ie 600ish mm from floor to top of arch!

Oh and wheres the best place price wise to buy to buy what been suggested above?

Thanks for the advice chaps, I guess I'll give it a miss then.

So how much would it cost to, 'koni shocks and eibach (maybe h&r) springs' on my car?

Thanks for the advice chaps, I guess I'll give it a miss then.

So how much would it cost to, 'koni shocks and eibach (maybe h&r) springs' on my car?

Try one of the mail order places like venom motorsport.

Don't go Eibach, they're pretty crap spings imo, way too hard.

Every Corrado I've been in with those on has been a harsh, crashy, horrible to drive pig.

i know you have probabally made your mind up but PLEASE DO NOT GET SUPERSPORT COILOVERS! I have been there and made that mistake, not on my rado but my old mk3 golf, and they were awful! SO uncomfortable, went round corners very well but it just wasn't worth the discomfort.

Got a budget Monkey?

Im surprised kev didn't pick your use of the term coilover - see thread in same week.

Basically you're talking about adjustable suspension versus non-adjustable. The clear advantage of the adjustables is that you can tweak it to your perfect preference of ride height, stiffness etc. On the BIG downside is cost, as once you've found the right setting, you'll not be adjusting it again in a hurry for the road - its more of a track gimmick.

So you taken a look at the H&R's etc yet; or they out of the budget?

Soooo...basically, I've decided that I'm not going to bother with the SuperSports.

I've only got the car for until August, then its going into storage for a year, or I'm loaning it to my mate back in the UK (but thats a whole other post!) Some point soon I'm going to have to look at replacing the suspension, I'll look at Weitec's and the H+R stuff.

Cheers.