Sign in to follow this  
Typhy

My 16v VS a VR6

Not entirely true mate - the valver suits revs... so stick it in 4th at 70 and it'll pull quite nicely :)

Or 3rd....

Not entirely true mate - the valver suits revs... so stick it in 4th at 70 and it'll pull quite nicely :)

Or 3rd....

Race ya? :wink:

Or 3rd....

only way to drive a 16v is to red line it in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th...

...and 5th in Germany last autumn :D still have 133 recorded on the SAT NAV from then, speedo was showing 145 :lol:

if only our roads were that smooth and empty :(

I think I'd need a well fettled VR to prise me out of my valver.

Anyone want to follow me in their VR, offer's there anytime, FI excluded :)

Or 3rd....

Yeah, cause half the horsepower would be a really fair race! :brickwall:

Yeah, cause half the horsepower would be a really fair race! :brickwall:

hence the wink...

Just to put it out there, i do miss ragging around in my valver.

Fighting talk there David - I know your 16V is fast - but really !!!! :lol: :lol:

Think we all need a day at Santa Pod - RWYB, or perhaps the Autometrix Day at Coombe that is coming up.

Maybe i do need that Supercharger that Vince was mentioning !!!! Plus Strut Braces and Quaffe Diff !! Oh and bigger brakes - might be an idea !!

Not that i am competitive or anything :lol:

:lol: Typhy actually asked what the VR was like off the line, hence why I was talking about 0-60mph :roll:

Everyone's spot on though- you need to drive as many as possible to make your own mind up.

Fighting talk there David - I know your 16V is fast - but really !!!! :lol: :lol:

Think we all need a day at Santa Pod - RWYB, or perhaps the Autometrix Day at Coombe that is coming up.

Maybe i do need that Supercharger that Vince was mentioning !!!! Plus Strut Braces and Quaffe Diff !! Oh and bigger brakes - might be an idea !!

Not that i am competitive or anything :lol:

Actually, Dom said he was struggling to keep up with Dave the other day.

And I've still got 127mph on my Satnav :D Had a fair bit more to go, but ran out of road, and the slightly hexagonal tyres put me off a bit. :)

I would ditto the noise. Apart from that, there's not much in it :wink:

i just pi$$ed my pants hahahahaha

As others have said, see if you can drive a VR to see if it's for you. It's not really a quick car in standard form especially compared to more modern stuff, reminds me more of a cruiser.

A couple of times in the last couple of months some random people have called round, one picking some freecycle stuff up and another looking at a bike I was flogging, both of them loved the car and wanted to buy it (they referred to it as a VR6, not a Corrado btw) - No it's not for sale by the way. Stuff like that gives me a buzz, and mines not in all that brilliant nick in my opinion, the problems of not having a garage.

I would definitely agree with the cruiser aspect, on the motorway the VR6 is so good, feels totally unstressed and you can return some pretty good mpg figures *if* you don't start pushing much above 85ish. It's one of the best cars I've ever driven for comfortable cruising. Plus I've had similar experiences with people seeing my car out and about. Any tidy rado looks special against a lot of modern machinery but the VR6 in particular does seem to draw a lot of praise and that's priceless imo

Stop buggering about talking about it nd go buy a VR... By far the best C!

I may be biased on this of course....

Between the two the 16v is the best fun around town/twisties. The VR6 is the best cruiser.

Of course the G60 does both.... :grin:

Sorry, couldn't resist it. :lol:

Between the two the 16v is the best fun around town/twisties. The VR6 is the best cruiser.

you never see the G60 being labelled a future classic etc, never on tele (fifth gear wanted a VR end of), this is all for one reason - THE VR6 IS A BETTER SPORT COUPE, turns more heads and puts a bigger smile on ya face!! goes well when actually driving (not stop start situations) and sounds like a car should sound!!

you never see the G60 being labelled a future classic etc, never on tele (fifth gear wanted a VR end of), this is all for one reason - THE VR6 IS A BETTER SPORT COUPE, turns more heads and puts a bigger smile on ya face!! goes well when actually driving (not stop start situations) and sounds like a car should sound!!

LLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTSSSSS GET READY TO RUMBLLLLLLLEEEEE!!!!!!

How does it turn more heads? A late G60 looks the same to a casual observer as a VR. And it may put a bigger smile on YOUR face but it doesn't on mine. :p

By your reckoning every car should sound like a V6? So a ferarri V8 sounds rubbish???? A G60 also sounds like a car should sound too... if it has four cylinders and a supercharger. :shrug:

And just becuase the motoring press label it as a future classic doesn't affect the way it drives. They just fixate on it because it's the biggest and most powerful engine. Not everyone cares what the press say anyway.

So poo off. :p :lol:

Is there any info of in-gear speeds? I.e. 30-70mph and such like? Sometimes those are interesting, but at the end of the day it's a willy waving contest as Toad said. Try all 3 and see which one you like, considering the premiums (and maintenance) each model deserves :salute:

I'm so glad everyone isn't taking this seriously. :lol:

How does it turn more heads? A late G60 looks the same to a casual observer as a VR. And it may put a bigger smile on YOUR face but it doesn't on mine. :p

By your reckoning every car should sound like a V6? So a ferarri V8 sounds rubbish???? A G60 also sounds like a car should sound too... if it has four cylinders and a supercharger. :shrug:

And just becuase the motoring press label it as a future classic doesn't affect the way it drives. They just fixate on it because it's the biggest and most powerful engine. Not everyone cares what the press say anyway.

I gotta agree with Sonic. Ive got a 16v and I'm seriously considering going down the g60 route instead of the VR6. G60 just always seem to sit in the shadow of the VR6. Dont get me wrong, Ive driven Bananawhips VR6 and it is EPIC!!!!

I do agree that the VR6 will be the future classic. I think thats down to the fact that it was the flapship model and all the the little niggly bits on the interior were ironed out by 1993. Theres just something about the g60, its the underdog but with alot of grunt. Also if you like working on your engine, there is a list of mods you can do.

In a nutshell I would love to have both a g60 and VR6, but for the moment I think the upgrade will be to a g60.

Would love to hear from any members who have had a 16v, g60 and vr6 and see what they say?

Is there any info of in-gear speeds? I.e. 30-70mph and such like?

2.0 16v - 30-70 through gears, 9.8 secs (Autocar)

1.8 G60 - 30-70 through gears, 7.4 secs (What Car)

2.9 VR6 - 30-70 through gears, 5.7 secs (Autocar)

Would love to hear from any members who have had a 16v, g60 and vr6 and see what they say?

I've got a standard G60 and VR6 and I'd go for the VR6 every time. It just feels better, not sure why... maybe the sound of the engine, general performance on the road, not sure what it is.

The G60 was rolling roaded at 178bhp (yes, totally standard) and the VR6 201bhp on the same day, so there's only 23bhp difference, but the VR6 just pulls so much better.

Just my opinion :)

hahahahahahaha turns heads because of the noise :lol: you can pick up valvers and 60's cheap, VR's?? nah didnt think so.. more desirable. you only stick up for a G60 coz you own one, i understand, i would be jealous to mate :wink:

i quote ; """its the biggest and most powerful engine"""

you said it yourself, in a motoring world revovling around power, speed and noise.... it must make the VR's better....

end of argument

:wave: I've had them all, and also had 2 x 2.08v's so can give a good unbiased opinion on each model having lived with them all. But ultimately there's not a lot of point, as it's all subjective. Like others have said, the engines are completely different with their own unique characterisics, not everyone will like the same thing. The only way of finding out what you prefer is it have a decent test of them all.

As far as my opinion goes, I think the VR6 is a great cruiser, very refined, with an awesome soundtrack. The G60 feels far more aggresive, but needs to be tweaked (which can be done cheaply to get up to around 200bhp) Once they're tweaked they're awesome fun and just beg to be taken down some twisty roads in 3rd gear - awesome.

I just don't rate the valvers at all, I can't stand the engines and think they really dont suit Corrados. I love the 8v, for a daily driver they're great - economical, reliable, torquey, look great, feel great to be in.

Just go and drive a VR6, i'm 99% sure that you'll want to buy one if you can find/drive a goodun.

:wave: I've had them all, and also had 2 x 2.08v's so can give a good unbiased opinion on each model having lived with them all. But ultimately there's not a lot of point, as it's all subjective. Like others have said, the engines are completely different with their own unique characterisics, not everyone will like the same thing. The only way of finding out what you prefer is it have a decent test of them all.

As far as my opinion goes, I think the VR6 is a great cruiser, very refined, with an awesome soundtrack. The G60 feels far more aggresive, but needs to be tweaked (which can be done cheaply to get up to around 200bhp) Once they're tweaked they're awesome fun and just beg to be taken down some twisty roads in 3rd gear - awesome.

I just don't rate the valvers at all, I can't stand the engines and think they really dont suit Corrados. I love the 8v, for a daily driver they're great - economical, reliable, torquey, look great, feel great to be in.

Just go and drive a VR6, i'm 99% sure that you'll want to buy one if you can find/drive a goodun.

yeah, im very biased to the VR i have to admit... sorry for going on one!!

but... like Walesy said, if you drive a good VR6 that is for sale, and have cash in your pocket, you WILL be driving home with the biggest smile on your face ever, in an awesome machine...