Sign in to follow this  
Typhy

My 16v VS a VR6

Have you ever had a good drive of a decent G60 with a chip/pulley etc?

i must admit i havent drove one with pulley/chip no, will be very soon as my mate is buying a G60 and doing a few bits with it. i actually told him to get one as he has points and hasnt ever really owned a fast car... so insurance will be bit cheaper for him but still be nippy enough to keep up with me 8)

only for the meantime though, as mine is going under the knife later this year :D

I don't think you can really make a judgement as to whether one is better than the other if you've not tried both, tbh :lol: :nuts:

I'd also disagree that VR6's are more expensive than G60's - there's plenty of decent VR6's to be found for around the £2k-£2.5k mark, but trying to find a decent G60 for that is becoming bloody difficult! :gag:

I don't think you can really make a judgement as to whether one is better than the other if you've not tried both, tbh :lol: :nuts:

I'd also disagree that VR6's are more expensive than G60's - there's plenty of decent VR6's to be found for around the £2k-£2.5k mark, but trying to find a decent G60 for that is becoming bloody difficult! :gag:

i think i can judge... not my fault you need to mod a g60 for it to be half decent!! when my vr6 is modded there will be no comparison!!

I've got a VR and 16v, put about 6k on the VR, and 60k on the 16v, will be nice to have the VR back together to make a comparison again, but it won't be fair, as the VR will have all new suspension, bigger rear ARB etc, and the 16v will still be on 210,000 miles.

I still have a massive soft spot for the 16v, I would never sell it, I just prefer the old girl. Looking forward to being able to retire it a bit, and start replacing components, and building up a nice engine to go in it. The VR will be the daily, living in car parks, and having miles thrown on it, the 16v will be the toy.

I was looking after a G60 for a while, but have only driven one for 5 or 6 miles. Admittedly I enjoyed it, I liked the way it pulled, but I've no idea what it's really like to live with.

At the end of the day, as previously mentioned, it's all down to personal choice on the cars, you really do need to get out and try them yourself, preferably several of each as one corrado is very different to another. A lot of people haven't tried other cars, or at least not been able to make proper back to back comparisons. It's worth having a reference point too, just a standard car, i.e. not a corrado, just to help qualify observations.

Might keep an eye out for a cheap G60 next year, just to finish the collection....

Walesy what is it that you don't like about the 16v engine? The way it has to be worked quite hard?

i think i can judge... not my fault you need to mod a g60 for it to be half decent!! when my vr6 is modded there will be no comparison!!

Fair enough, then we'll agree to disagree, i'm not here to argue :grin:

IMO, you can't make a fair comparisson between two things if you've not got experience of them both.

I has always wondered why this is. G60s (especially in good nick) seem to be getting harder and harder to find.

Walesy what is it that you don't like about the 16v engine? The way it has to be worked quite hard?

Yeah, that's certainly part of it. I'm not into revving the balls out of cars and the valver is piss poor to drive unless you give it beans everywhere you go. I like having low down torque, i'm also not really interested in top end performance. I really miss my 160bhp G40, that's for sure! :(

I just find the 16v is too gutless for the heavy Corrado. It feels underpowered, it doesn't have a nice soundtrack, the fuel/bhp ratio is terrible, it can be a pig to fault find etc etc etc . If the MPG was much better with them, then I could see their value, but they're just not that much cheaper to run than the VR or G60 (if at all) so I don't see the point in them, like I say I love the 8v because it gives 40mpg and you still get the thrill of being in a rado.

Ultimately, I just don't get on with it. As I said, the VR6 and G60 are full of character, but I just dont get that feeling from valvers, I really don't feel the engine does the Corrado any justice.

VR6 Rados? Commoners' cars :lol: , since you hardly see any other Rados in the UK. In Germany on the other hand it's the opposite :D

Besides, VR6 drivers don't know English, so Johny Foreigner (with the US spec G60 :lol: ) has to correct:

admit i havent drove one with pulley/chip no

... haven't driven ...

:lol:

Tempest

you only stick up for a G60 coz you own one

Yeah, I own one because I've driven all of them and that's the one I like the best.

I've seen VRs struggle to sell for 1500 notes on this very forum too.

And it's not end of argumanet. There is no end to this argument because it is based on personal opinion. We're stuck in this forever!!!! :lol:

Yeah, I own one because I've driven all of them and that's the one I like the best.

And it's not end of argumanet. There is no end to this argument because it is based on personal opinion. We're stuck in this forever!!!! :lol:

you should of brought it :lol:

i agree that some people do like g60's better, but most of them think that because they couldnt afford the VR6 or they havent driven or been in a VR6 to know what they are like... there are always people that like something different, like i would get funny about somebody saying a corrado looks better with a bodykit, no it doesnt imo, but im quite opinionated as yuo can see.

think we all need a group hug haha!! at least we own the best looking cars imo... :D

you should of brought it :lol: [/quote:14fk54tx]

:lol: Good come back. :lol:

Yes, we should all celebrate that we own one of the best VWs ever made. Even if we can't exactly agree which engine is "best"....

Cool, I'll get there before anybody else anyway. :grin: :lol: I'll set up the tables and put the music on too before all the cruisers arrive.

Cool, I'll get there before anybody else anyway. :grin: :lol: I'll set up the tables and put the music on too before all the cruisers arrive.

yeah we might be a long time, as we love cruising sooo much in vr6's, unless we havent got money for petrol :brickwall:

yeah we might be a long time, as we love cruising sooo much in vr6's, unless we havent got money for petrol :brickwall:

You should try having an exagerrated hair dryer bolted to your engine. I dream of 20 mpg.... :lol:

The 8V is best :D

Seriously though, I probably wouldn't take any of the Corrados now if I was in the market for a decent coupe, unless seriously modified.

I liked the Rado when I got it purely because it is a good base to work from and the best looking car VW has ever made. Strong shells, good parts availability and excellent parts interchangability.

Surely this silly infighting is a bit pointless on a forum of mutual interest?. It's like fighting over the same toy with your brothers & sisters.

Unlike other VWs, it's not the engine that defines a Corrado. Each has it's own unique appeal.

Yeah, that's certainly part of it. I'm not into revving the balls out of cars and the valver is piss poor to drive unless you give it beans everywhere you go. I like having low down torque, i'm also not really interested in top end performance. I really miss my 160bhp G40, that's for sure! :(

I just find the 16v is too gutless for the heavy Corrado. It feels underpowered, it doesn't have a nice soundtrack, the fuel/bhp ratio is terrible, it can be a pig to fault find etc etc etc . If the MPG was much better with them, then I could see their value, but they're just not that much cheaper to run than the VR or G60 (if at all) so I don't see the point in them, like I say I love the 8v because it gives 40mpg and you still get the thrill of being in a rado.

Ultimately, I just don't get on with it. As I said, the VR6 and G60 are full of character, but I just dont get that feeling from valvers, I really don't feel the engine does the Corrado any justice.

See, I quite like that about it. It makes me feel like I've got some involvement with the car. The VR just gets on with it, not asking anything of me.

I quite like the sound of mine, and it's not so bad for faults, the K-Jet has been used on loads of different cars and there is quite a lot of info on it. (the KE-Jet from the 2l is a bit rubbish though)

Ok, the mpg isn't always brilliant, but mine returns 30+, and did over 40mpg across Germany last year.

Anyway, I'm not trying to get anyone to like them, as you say, it's each to their own. :D

x x x

Pretty much. Shame Lucy found the unopened fishing tackle.... :(

The 8V is best :D

Seriously though, I probably wouldn't take any of the Corrados now if I was in the market for a decent coupe, unless seriously modified.

I liked the Rado when I got it purely because it is a good base to work from and the best looking car VW has ever made. Strong shells, good parts availability and excellent parts interchangability.

Surely this silly infighting is a bit pointless on a forum of mutual interest?. It's like fighting over the same toy with your brothers & sisters.

Unlike other VWs, it's not the engine that defines a Corrado. Each has it's own unique appeal.

??? you say its not the engine that matters, but you wouldnt buy a corrado (now) because they dont have enough power??? imo, the corrado is an amazing car, dont see many, and still looks the nuts today after all those years??? what better coupes are there??? the VR6 still keeps up with the leon cupras, type R's and all the other "performance" cars out there unmodified....

Im going to be getting a valver for a daily, and im going to have the biggest grin driving it around, not because of the power, because i own such a decent coupe, which myself and others will eally appreciate, instead of some boring astra vxr...

driving a corrado says something about you i think, spoiler goes up, nice sound and as good handling as you could want from a front wheel drive car. The "scene" is a great plave to be to which is a bonus, this site alone is full of good people and we all generally get along. So if we do fight like brothers, its natural, but we all kiss and make up and laugh at how stupid we are being!!

long live the corrado i say!!!!