Sign in to follow this  
GaVR6in

Red Rears

Finished my red rears today, done a proper job on them, rub all the writing off and put the final coat of lacuer on today what do you think.

DSC00212.jpg

DSC00213.jpg

DSC00214.jpg

DSC00180.jpg

DSC00181.jpg

very good effort, I done mine but mistakingly bought some black tint, didnt realise untill I was actually spraying it on the lens :cuckoo: but it looked quite good as its red smoked :D what are you doing for coloured bulbs as they will all be red now

Looks sweet..

How do you get round MOT though? I' have thought you would need the white reverse and orange indicator lights to pass??

You are probably right but I will worry about that nearer the time. But I do no someone quite close and I am hoping he might lend me his when I need them :wave:

O and I didn't use the wiki (didnt know there was one :shrug: ) but I did get my tips off of the site tho

Is that anyone i know gav ?..........looking good matey, gonna have to meet up soon and have a chin wag, im up my garage all day tomorrow (apart from the grand prix) to finally get my brakes bled after all the work i did.......... :wave:

Looks really nice! 8)

I bought some cheapo crystal/reds but don't like 'em - look a bit naff, really.

Inspired to do mine like yours now. Does it mean you've got red reversing lights, tho'?

i finished mine yesterday also - yours look great.

what if anything did you use to give them a final polish up? i have a few duller patches on mine where the lacquer misted on - i'm thinking some T-Cut or SRP should sort it..

Looking good mate. Look a lot shinier than mine. Sure mine used to be like yours..... may try another coat of laquer and see if it brings them back.

Have my MOT today and just took them off to be on the safe side. Only takes 5 mins a side to do so no biggie.

Matt

Would think MOT should be fine? I've had a couple of sets of lights smoked (really dark) in the past and they've gone through fine. Didn't think it was something you could fail on :shrug:

To get the laquer good, rub down with 1500+ wet and dry and then a cutting compound ;)

The tint spray I used was called savage tail light tinting spray. I did them about 3 of 4 weeks ago and they were a bit dull so I gave them a new coat on saturday.

looks good mate, looks like mine when they were freshly done, i left the e marks on them though - if the light units dont have these they'll fail on the test regardless of colour :( - unles you have a friendly tester :lol:

Yup, forgot about the greens. I bought some green glass paint and painted the bulbs in situ- took a couple of minutes and works perfectly ;)

Would think MOT should be fine? I've had a couple of sets of lights smoked (really dark) in the past and they've gone through fine. Didn't think it was something you could fail on :shrug:

To get the laquer good, rub down with 1500+ wet and dry and then a cutting compound ;)

will T cut then SRP do the job? I've got some G3 but that stuff scares me.

Should be fine :)

ok just to be sure cos i wasn't clear I mean should 1500 then T cut then SRP restore the shine taken away by the wet sanding ? :lol:

mine look fine but if i can get them even better then i'll have a go!

When I did my last set, they were perfect after just the wet sand & T-Cut. Have also used AG Paint restorer/renovator before instead of T-Cut and it works really well.

when sanding the lights down at the start, what course sand papers did you use?? been putting off doing mine for ages, got the paint and everything, just need the sand paper...

when sanding the lights down at the start, what course sand papers did you use?? been putting off doing mine for ages, got the paint and everything, just need the sand paper...

to get the markings off use a sharp knife to get them started - i then used 600 then 800 grit.

you don't need to go any finer than that to get a good finish with the paint and lacquer. leaving after 800 grit means a much better surface for paint to adhere to...

to get the markings off use a sharp knife to get them started - i then used 600 then 800 grit.

you don't need to go any finer than that to get a good finish with the paint and lacquer. leaving after 800 grit means a much better surface for paint to adhere to...

thanks!! looks like im going to be painting mine soon then :D