Sign in to follow this  
Nik Patel

Pagid Fast Road Pads

I ve had the pads on my c for about 2 years now and they only last about 6-7 k miles and no i dont brake hard too often :roll:

i have zimmerman cross drilled discs

is this about right? anyone else got pagid fast road pads?

I have Pagid Fast Road pads - they have lasted me 7000 miles or there about so far - I hope they dont need replacing again at my next service!

I'll let you know - its due early next year.

BTW - my discs are Pagid as well...

I ve had the pads on my c for about 2 years now and they only last about 6-7 k miles and no i dont brake hard too often :roll:

i have zimmerman cross drilled discs

is this about right? anyone else got pagid fast road pads?

Well Ive just been down to G & S and they say you should be running special pads with the zimmerman cross drilled discs.... as was thinking of buying the dics myself for the VR6... changed my mind a little when he started going on about they are only any good once you get some heat in them.... fine for my driving as I use the brakes quite hard but not so good for my other half *:)

So got myself some standard OE front discs and pagid fast road pads for £90 all in *;) job done!

Scott

i know our local g&s sell the above as a package! i run them on my c and have no reports of any problems :lol:

I've got Brembo drilled rotors and Metal Master pads. They have been on there for 70K Miles. I've had the rotors turned twice and they have only about 10K miles left on them. But the pads are not even worn half way yet. (when I turned the rotors I put the pads on a belt sander and resurfaced them too)

Metal master pads are better when warmed up but I've never had any problems with them and I think I'll stay with this combo even after I mount some Wilwood calipers this Fall.

Am i the only person that really hate Pagid Pads???, I had them a while ago and bloody hated them! They needed too much heat too work IMO. prefered the OE versions (except the fade when too hot :p ) I now have TAR.OX and wouldn't have anything else. i use their Japan Sport Discs (Drilled and grooved) too, They are brilliant set up. They cost about 250 quid for the discs and pads but its worth it IMO.

Just my tuppence

my Pagis pads have been giving me grief as they squeek and squeek. I have had the calipers completely cleaned and the back of the pads copper greased and they still squeek. It does my head in. I think its because they give off a lot of dust and get dirty real quickly

They are good, most things like soft compund trres are dood but they wear quickly just like good pads. I suppose its the kevilar pads that are the nuts because they last ages and hardly give any break dust off but then you are talking serious money.

Am i the only person that really hate Pagid Pads???

Nope, I heard somewhere that their "fast road" pads are exactly the same compound as their normal pads just with a different sticker! :?

I only use Mintex 1144 pads... I nearly put 1155s on last time, but the amount of warming up time is a bit mental on them as they're supposed to be used for track use only! :lol:

The 1144's create a LOT of dust :roll: but, as long as you bed them in properly, they work really well from cold and I've only ever faded them once out of 8 sets on 3 different cars (don't ask, you won't normally be able to fade 'em no matter what you do! :lol: )

I'm running 1144s all round on my G60 with genuine disks and the pads last for about 15K miles (or 6 months in my case! :roll: ) I did use the 1144's on my 1.8 16V C with drilled and grooved disks and they were absolutely fantastic and still lasted about the same amount of time/distance...

The only thing I have tried that I didn't like more than the pagid pads, were Ferodo standard pads from Halfords... I was desperate for pads, and that was the only place that had some that day... They only stayed on the car for 2 weeks! :? :roll:

THats weird, why do there fast road pads have the same compond as their normal pads, if thats the case then we are being led to believe that we are paying more for a better pad. Surely if they are fast Road pads they have to be different from normal use pads?

I have heard that the EBC pads aren't great, has anyone experienced that?

Where did you hear about the pagid fast Rd pads having the same compound Henny?

Pagid Fast Road pads do not have the same compound as their OE pads and Pagid are the OE supplier to Porsche, Audi, VW to name but a few.

Green stuff pads are utter shite, I was at Stealth when Vince was on the phone to the EBC sales rep and I overheard Vince saying that after 3000 miles they still hadn't improved and he had to left foot brake to get any real bite.

When I picked up my VR in Feb I noticed it had poor brakes, but a quick look under the wheels soon revealed why, yep, Green stuff pads all round. So Vince whipped em off and fitted Pagid grooved discs and FR pads all round. The transformation was unbelievable.

I used to use Mintex 1144s quite a bit on my Golf 16V, they were OK but were hard on discs and used to make a horrid grinding noise when cold and wet, plus they needed plenty of heat to come alive. The Pagids need no preheating and are imo excellent all rounders.

You can only find your ideal pad through experimentation unfortunately but with 10 years+ of VW ownership, I've found the FRs hard to beat and they don't squeal at all on my car, which is interesting. Must be something to do with the grooved front discs?

Cheers

Kev

94 Vr6

Green stuff pads are utter shite, I was at Stealth when Vince was on the phone to the EBC sales rep and I overheard Vince saying that after 3000 miles they still hadn't improved and he had to left foot brake to get any real bite.

I used to use Mintex 1144s quite a bit on my Golf 16V, they were OK but were hard on discs and used to make a horrid grinding noise when cold and wet, plus they needed plenty of heat to come alive. The Pagids need no preheating and are imo excellent all rounders.

I'd been told Green Stuff are pretty dire so I've never tried 'em...

1144's ARE very hard on disks... Expect to replace disks every 2 or 3 sets of pads... :roll: They don't half stop you though! :lol:

I found a site that told you how to initially bed in the 1144's when you first fit them... If you follow the instructions then they work very well from cold and don't tend to make the grinding noise unless you've not cleaned 'em in ages! :lol:

M1144 BEDDING IN INSTRUCTIONS

Clean discs with brake cleaner or other approved solvent.

Fit your new Mintex C-Tech Racing Pads

Apply 2-3 light applications of the brakes at 30mph down to 0mph

Apply 3-4 steady applications of the brakes at 70mph down to 30mph

Leave as long as possible to cool down. They will now work from cold.

Do not left foot brake.

I can't remember the name of the place that told me that the pagid pads were all the same, but the guy makes brake pads up to order if they're something that the main factory doesn't do... MR2 rears in an 1144 compound was how my mate found him... He buys the compound in and then shapes and fits it to the backing for you... Seemed to know his stuff... :?

All I know is that normal OE pagids produce jet black dust and the Fast road pads generate a dark brown dust, which tends to stick to the wheel more tenaciously!!

Kev

94 VR6

Since changing my discs and pads from zimmerman cross-drilled and ebc pads to zimmerman cross-drilledand pagid fast road pads my wheels get totally covered in brake dust after about 2 days (hardly use the car though). Probably cause the ebc ones were shite and I had a warped disc on the left. Feels much better to stop with so I'll put up with excess brake dust. This set-up came highly recommended by bedrock veedubs.

Probably cause the ebc ones were shite and I had a warped disc on the left. Feels much better to stop with so I'll put up with excess brake dust.

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/war ... s_myth.htm

Check out this site and what they have to say about "warped" disks... Makes you think about how you use your brakes... :shock:

The Pagids need no preheating and are imo excellent all rounders.

Really? I must of had a 'funny' set then! Cause mne were absolutly rubbish from cold. Ok general driving but when travelling along at 80ish towards a roundabout, they weren't confidence inspiring. However, The TAR-OX ones im on now are Brilliant. You dont notice the difference until, like you say, you try them yourself.

I think the pagids work best with either VAG standard discs or their own black grooved or OE discs. To be honest I've found all the pads to be pretty similar, except Green Stuff, which really are bad.

Stick to what you know and like mate!

Kev

94 VR6

I've never heard much good stuff about the EBC stuff.

They're supposed to be 'dust free' aren't they,

This says to me - Too Hard

Sound about right?

ive used ebc green stuff pads on my old golf and thought the were really good,and they kert the wheels clean,but to be honest trying to compare discs and pads is so hard,unless you have tried every single disc/pad combo on the market,which i doubt anyone has done,at the end of the day everyones opinion will mostly be different...