Sign in to follow this  
Riley

Is my diff dead? G60 O2A

Ive had some clonking/rattling for a while now when on/off the throttle...It seems to have got slightly worse lately. :(

Few video's of the noise, im just rotating the drive shafts. Drivers side first.

th_g60diffdrivers.jpg

th_g60diffdrivers1.jpg

Passenger side...

th_g60diffpassenger.jpg

th_g60diffpassenger1.jpg

Please help :(

Neil.

Nah, car in neutral with no wheel...just rotating the driveshafts. :)

I think in the 3rd or 4th video you can probably hear the disc 'clunking' a little bit which is no problem with the wheel removed obviously. But the knock, knock, knock when rotating one way to the other is concerning me...

hmmm....thats not good then and it is common that the diff rivets come undone in the box and most fit bolts in favour....but that's generally track cars.

best start looking for a replacment,are all the flange bolts tight ?

Aye, all the driveshaft bolts are tight 8)

I thought it was just the O2O boxes that suffered with the rivets failing mate?

I was planning on going for a ctn box with a 16v 5th, but i wanted to rebuild an engine first and get it run in etc.

Just gone 150k mate...Does it sound like the diff? I don't suppose it could be anything else around there could it?

Id imagine id get the same play/clonking if i removed the driveshaft and rotated the flange, it just seems like its coming from behind the flanges either side.

Gwerks have a rebuilt gearbox available....just tell them i sent you, (unless they have sold it already) was going to use it for my 16vg60, but now im going R32 so its no good to me.

You don't know what box it is by any chance mate? :)

Any more thoughts on the video's?

Cheers, Neil.

yeah, its my old G60 box, completly standard spec, just been rebuilt, and diff swapped over from another box, as i had a peloquin in it originally, but still need that so comes with a standard diff freshly fitted. Just phone them up tommorrow and say Dan sent you, i asked them to sell it on my behalf (as im a bit busy at the moment) so they should still have it in the 'back room'

Ah bugger...Im after a ctn code box really if im gonna end up replacing mine.

Muchos thanks for the heads up though Dan. :salute:

if you can get down to ross on wye, then i have a standard o2a diff which was working perfect when removed. you can have it with the steering column surround for £30...

Cheers for the offer mate, but im way up in Burnley/Lancs... :)

I guess im gonna start looking for a ctn box...Still interested to know what people think of mine though?

If your hearing rattles whilst driving or at lights with the clutch down that's not good. I think the noise your hearing when rotating the driveshafts is normal gear diff play. Worth checking the oil level!

Cheers mate...

What i can hear while driving (while on/off throttle) is the noise/play in the video's...There just seems to be too much play to me :|

Its also noisy when i let the clutch up in neutral, which is the clutch release bearing a little tired.

Ill check the oil level if i can get time, but im gonna probably look for a new box... :salute: