Sign in to follow this  
big ben

lets talk about roof moulding alternatives...

As everyone knows, these bloody rubber strips always fall apart... I am about to begin a respray, and dont really wana fork out an extra £100 odd for new mouldings... My mates also needs doing, so was thinking about doing a DIY job...

anyone used silicone to replace the mouldings?? any pics if it?? heard people have carried it out, but no ones been brave enough to show pics...

some people may of had them smoothed off, welded up, anyone got pics??

Sorry to say but at the end of the day just forking out the 100 quid for new ones is the way to go.

Rest of the bodges just arent worth the time or trouble.

i just cut the split rubber off the edge with a stanley,doesnt look too bad,im just welding my hole up for the aireal,im tempted to smooth the roof but i think it will cause some serious warping and im a welder, so i may leave it thats probo why many dont fill them.

cud cut them off and try it.

i just cut the split rubber off the edge with a stanley,doesnt look too bad,im just welding my hole up for the aireal,im tempted to smooth the roof but i think it will cause some serious warping and im a welder, so i may leave it thats probo why many dont fill them.

cud cut them off and try it.

Yeah you need to lead fill them really but then thats going to me more than 100 squid.

yeah was thinking on buying more, but heard vw dont do them no more... veedubmachine had some, but seem out of stock now??

yeah was thinking on buying more, but heard vw dont do them no more... veedubmachine had some, but seem out of stock now??

VW should still have them

suppose another email to my local stealers will sort it out, they must hate me asking prices 24/7 :lol: :)

Just peel the rubbery bits off....it looks respectible after this...

you got any pics?? ive heard its fine and doesnt leak...

Mine hasnt got any, has not leaked in two years. Dont think it forms any sort of seal anyway.