james_c2

matt black corrado daily

front bumper nearly done, excuse the crap primer, its just there to make it easier to check its all flat + was still wet when pic taken

13052010042.jpg

giving it to the old man to finish it now as hes alot better at the finishing aspect of bodywork than me as I want it perfectly flat

After being of the road due to engine failure and paint damage for most of the summer its back

19092010099.jpg

This will be its current look for the next 8 weeks or so untill it goes back into storage due to me moving back to France for the winter

If the weathers stays good I'll be heading down the road to Fistral beach to get a few nice photos of it

Cheers for the comment

Yup I'm from Newquay. There seems to be a few c's dotted about the town

thinking about bringing the front end down a few mm as feel it needs a bit of rake and I can get over the speed bumps on the way to my house with not much subframe scrapage

Cheers for the comment

Yup I'm from Newquay. There seems to be a few c's dotted about the town

thinking about bringing the front end down a few mm as feel it needs a bit of rake and I can get over the speed bumps on the way to my house with not much subframe scrapage

You should come to Falmouth/Penryn, never known so many Corrados in one little town before, I've counted way more than 10 going about.

I think it's sitting pretty good as it is, is there much room to drop the front more?

The car was painted by myself with rattle cans, I think next time I do it ill do it using a gun as using cans was loads more hassle. But cost £17 to do so thats why I went this route even tho I have the equipment to do it properly

Ill have to pop down soon, a few of my mates are at Falmouth uni so keep meaning to go over.

Ive got about 5-6mm to play with untill the tyre hits the arch when steering, only way I could get it any lower without further arch mods would be higher offset wheels or 15s

The car was painted by myself with rattle cans,. . . . .

Right, I am well up for spraying my Mk1 in a similar fashion i.e cheaply. Any particular brand of paint you recommend? any pointers on technique?

Right, I am well up for spraying my Mk1 in a similar fashion i.e cheaply. Any particular brand of paint you recommend? any pointers on technique?

Cheers for the comments, Hopefully next time its out next summer it should be looking a fair bit different depending on money and time once im back from France.

The Ghia is my main toy but doesn't get driven much due to getting 10mpg because of how thirsty the twin 48's are

I used Simonez cans for this, mainly for the reason there cheap and the respray is only a temp job. I've used montana gold cans before and they were nice to use and come in loads of different matt colours.

As for advise on using cans, its pretty much the same as any paint work being its all in the prep work, make sure the car is sufficiently rubbed down with the right grade paper, taped up well and cleaned before you paint and this will make the finish alot better. Also keep the can parallel with the car when applying the paint to ensure is going on even and multiple light coats are better than one or two heavy coats of paint.

Car looks stunning.

Was it you I was speaking to at the Hotel california bowling alley in Newquay a couple of months ago?

If so you managed to rebuild the engine?

Yes it was me, na the proper engine is still in bits as it needs a fair amount of expensive parts brought before I can rebuild it and all my money atm has to go on boring things. Its running a slightly modified 9a I built from spares I had sitting about for the time being.

Looks killer. I'd love to rattle can my car black, but it looks quite a daunting job for a novice and I don't trust myself to do a good enough job. I'd want to get some urban camo action going too!

Yeh I live in Pentire, the car was at my parents over the winter/spring as I was working in france, once the engines running it will be back down in Cornwall

Been having a play with the car over the last few days

first up was the install as was was not happy with it and wanted to be able to fold down one of the rear seats to get surfboards/ snowboards in easier

Amp rack

IMG_0029.jpg

False floor

IMG_0032.jpg

All pieces in

IMG_0037.jpg

Time to raid mums workshop as she's an upholsterer for supplies

IMG_0038.jpg

going to have a piece of leather to cover the rear seats which will be removable by velcro

next up was the engine

Old engine stripped

IMG_0025.jpg

Engine out

IMG_0042.jpg

New engine in

IMG_0049.jpg

Jobs left to do include:

attach manifold to exhaust

attach driveshafts

fit rad and pipes

Tidy up this mess

IMG_0050.jpg

Also polybushed the front of the car and fitted a solid front engine mount but no pics.

Not bad for a few days work