Sign in to follow this  
Flexso

VR6 cutting out, The nightmare has started.

Hi all,

I have just purchased a VR6. Already the car has got issues :mad2: What can I say, if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Anyway, It was hesitating last night and the idling seemed to be wavering a little. Im off to the stealer or GSF on Sat and just need to know where you guys think this issue is coming from? Im thinking the following:

ISV

109 ecu relay (seen someone else on here has had a similar issue plus my spoiler doesnt come up automatically. That seemed to cure that as well)

What else do you guys think?

Well the idle on a VR6 isn't exactly stable at the best of times from what i have read. I have a slight hesitation as well, whilst cruising it feels like it is cutting out but doesn't, jus slight staggers but is fine on acceleration. I think seeing as you have just bought it a good service might do it the world of good, try the spark plugs, ht leads and inspect the coilpack first.

Mike, also try taking off and putting back on the maf plug to see if it gets worse or better, mine occasionally comes loose (usually after going over speedbumps) and can cause hesitation. easy and only takes 10 seconds.

tho the relay thing sounds like a likely culprit too.

did the fans work out ok?

Run it at night with the bonnet up, and you'll probably see the coil-pack shorting if it has a undetectable crack. Get VAG-com on it to see if there are any fault codes.

Mike, also try taking off and putting back on the maf plug to see if it gets worse or better, mine occasionally comes loose (usually after going over speedbumps) and can cause hesitation. easy and only takes 10 seconds.

tho the relay thing sounds like a likely culprit too.

did the fans work out ok?

Thanks Jim, I will give that a try (nice to meet you the other day). The fan is spot on by the way.

main things to check:

1. ISV - clean it out and relube

2. throttle body - clean it thoroughly both sides of the butterfly

3. Dashpot - make sure its adjusted correctly, move it up slightly if needed

4. ecu relay 109 - about £12 from VW

5. fuel pump relay 167 or 67

6. MAF - give it a clean with carb cleaner

7. Crank sensor - may have lost its magnetism, or the block may have corrosion. Remover sensor, clean any swarf off it, clean up block with emery, WD40 and refit

8. ignition switch - a bummer to replace but can be a problem

9. Fuel pump - pricey. Try the above first before changing

after that you are into immobiliser issues,whcih is not a lot of fun tbh.

Try these first and let us know how you get on.

HTH

main things to check:

1. ISV - clean it out and relube

2. throttle body - clean it thoroughly both sides of the butterfly

3. Dashpot - make sure its adjusted correctly, move it up slightly if needed

4. ecu relay 109 - about £12 from VW

5. fuel pump relay 167 or 67

6. MAF - give it a clean with carb cleaner

7. Crank sensor - may have lost its magnetism, or the block may have corrosion. Remover sensor, clean any swarf off it, clean up block with emery, WD40 and refit

8. ignition switch - a bummer to replace but can be a problem

9. Fuel pump - pricey. Try the above first before changing

after that you are into immobiliser issues,whcih is not a lot of fun tbh.

Try these first and let us know how you get on.

HTH

Thank you for the list. I will go through them numerically and see if it help. Also gonna give the car a service for some peace of mind.

its just underneath the cam of the throttle. Its an orange looking thing bolted to an l-shaped bracket. Basically it stops the throttle butterfly slamming shut when you take your foot completely off the gas. If you have a nosey around the throttle boddy you'll see it there. Just loosen the bottom nut and wind this up (ie towards the throttle) a turn or so. If you've got VAGCOM you can check to see throttle postion sensor angle to see whether its wound up too far.

its just underneath the cam of the throttle. Its an orange looking thing bolted to an l-shaped bracket. Basically it stops the throttle butterfly slamming shut when you take your foot completely off the gas. If you have a nosey around the throttle boddy you'll see it there. Just loosen the bottom nut and wind this up (ie towards the throttle) a turn or so. If you've got VAGCOM you can check to see throttle postion sensor angle to see whether its wound up too far.

hmm, may have to try this with mine, it just snaps back with no damping at all!

or maybe replace the beggar, i like shiny new things!

find someone with vagcom, it'll save you money in the long run, you wont go replacing stuff you dont need to.

Where is the crank sensor?

If you look at the car from the front and from underneath, you'll see a medium sized white connector running towards the block with a black plastic 'cover' on it. This is the crank sensor. It needs a 5mm (iirc) allen key to remove. Take it out, check to see if there is any swarf on it and clean it up. Clean the block face too where it sits and spray well with WD40. Refit the sensor.

Its basically a magnet, but i'm sure someone can eloborate further than me; but it loses its magnetism with time, age and heat, throwing up errors and causing problems.

When you say clean ISV and relube? what do you recomend to relube it with?

Ive recently cleaned my ISV out and am not having more problems than before I started, every now and again from low revs a gradual increase of throttle leads to kangeroo jumps?

My ISV was filthy, but I did not relube it.

I had a specail lube oil called micro mu - but you can use any decent oil, it just allows the flap inside to move smoothly and without any jerkiness. Just put a few drops and move the flap by hand or pulse it witha power supply.