Sign in to follow this  
The_Dude

Thinking of selling up :( what would you buy?

Hey chaps and chapesses, as above really, I'm thinking of selling up for something a bit more modern or unusual and was wondering what you fellas would do if you had 5k-ish to spend on a car. Its got to be at least 300 horses or something near enough (240bhp per tonne), there's no way I'm taking a step back in power, but doesn't need to be practical as its not a daily however it will live outside.

So what you got in mind? (rice is fine! :))

very nice car Kev, my old man had one upto about 2 years ago, BUT i would personally choose an M3 over an M5 just down to the HUGE running costs for the M5 compared to the more common M3.

Another fast German would be something I'd want.. big BMW or Merc definately :)

How about an S4? :)

I'd go for a 300ZX, awesome drivers car, often compared to the Porsche 928, very reliable and still eye catching, only problem I suppose is the medallion man and chest wig image

You serious mate? Graham was only commenting how well your car drove when I was talking to him at BVF.... seems a shame to sell up. :(

Problem I've found when trying to justify spending £5k on turbo'ing my corrado vs buying something else, is the fact that you're not going to get much of what people would generally consider fast cars for that level of money.

You'll get ya usual scooby's, evo's, E30 M3's, M5's, S4's etc but they will all be high miles, ragged to hell and back probably, and you can't help but look a bit of a tw@t driving around in one of them. The other end is that you'll get CupraR's, early S2000's maybe, golf 4motion's etc which are all 'quick' cars but not in the league I suspect you're hoping for.

Unfortunately I think to get something both modern and fast you'll be struggling at that budget. Sorry mate.

Just my thoughts......

JIM JIM JIM....

Knowing you're area, and some of the issues you have had... think something Very Q-car... no spoilers/flash alloys/ scoops etc...

Volvo T5?

Charged VRmk2 :grin:

Evo's & M-cars will attarct the wrong attention on the street!

I know I'm going to struggle to get a decent replacement for that kind of wonga but I thought I'd pick your brains. I've been thinking about this for a while and keep flip-flopping as to whether I should or not, but the only car I could come up with was an Evo. Also the roads round my way are so bad, its more akin to driving down a rutted country trail than a road in south london. Seriously, its a series of holes and ruts occasionally joined by a small piece of flat tarmac. :mad2:

and tbh, most high powered cars will have been ragged somewhat by now, who here can say that they have never raced off the line of gone way beyond the speed limit to test the limits of the car? i know i have. its more about how many bits have been replaced...

Not sure I'd go for an M badge, just because I think 'twat' every time I see one! I also had a look at a 5 series before the vr and was soooo disappointed by the whole experience, but that's not to say I wouldn't enjoy an M.

Rex7 sounds a goody, I've always liked them. Not so sure about my oversteer reactions tho, they were pretty poor on the track, which is a concern with a big power.

anyway, keep em coming, all food for thought.

very nice car Kev, my old man had one upto about 2 years ago, BUT i would personally choose an M3 over an M5 just down to the HUGE running costs for the M5 compared to the more common M3.

I know what you mean but I just love that V8 rumble they produce :luvlove:

I'm used to high running costs so an M5 wouldn't come as too much of a surprise at the pumps and dealer parts desk!

The M5 always seemed to be the more mature choice. M3s tend to attract footballers and city bankers, and other assorted gimps who can't drive properly and wouldn't know an M engine from a normal BMW one (present company excluded of course), they just want the image that goes with the badge - i.e. "I've got pots of cash"!

AND.... I have to be shallow here and say I can't stand the bag of spanners noises that 3.2 M3 engine makes at low rpms. It sounds awful! For some reason, the V8 in the M5 with the same VANOS units sounds crisp and creamy smooth :D

I know what you mean but I just love that V8 rumble they produce :luvlove:

I'm used to high running costs so an M5 wouldn't come as too much of a surprise at the pumps and dealer parts desk!

The M5 always seemed to be the more mature choice. M3s tend to attract footballers and city bankers, and other assorted gimps who can't drive properly and wouldn't know an M engine from a normal BMW one (present company excluded of course), they just want the image that goes with the badge - i.e. "I've got pots of cash"!

AND.... I have to be shallow here and say I can't stand the bag of spanners noises that 3.2 M3 engine makes at low rpms. It sounds awful! For some reason, the V8 in the M5 with the same VANOS units sounds crisp and creamy smooth :D

Kev I'm sure I remember you posting something about the VANOS unit needing some big bill replacement at some point in its life? :scratch:

yeh kinda agree kev about some of the owners of M3's, a mate had one and he fitted an aftermarket exhaust with a particular Gruppe M air filter, and that M3 sounded very very nice.

he scared the living shite out of me a few times when he was driving, but all in a good way.

Ok in similar vein to Kevs choice how about rear wheel drive 370bhp XJR :norty:

does it come with the pipe and slippers :lol:

Ok in similar vein to Kevs choice how about rear wheel drive 370bhp XJR :norty:

does it come with the pipe and slippers :lol:

What do you mean, pure London Gangsta in Black :grin:

That S2 looks the business, or how about...

Old shape Jag XKR

BMW 540i

Mitsubishi Galant VR4 V6 twin turbo (estate :) )

Lotus Elan Turbo (bit :camp: but quick and rare)

Merc C43 AMG

Merc E55 AMG

Nissan Skyline R32 GTS-T or GTR (easily the best looking skyline)

All just about within the price range if you look around, not all exactly rare or to everyone's taste and not cheap to run but food for thought

Jags are defo Pipe and Slippers cars :lol:

I do like the 4.0 S/C'd XJR though and they have a ride quality and engine smoothness like nothing else on earth :notworthy: They're just have a rich pensioner's image :D

BMW VANOS - Yep, double whammy on the E39 M5 as there's two of them @ £1500 each :shock: Thing is though, it's a bit like the VR6 chains hysteria. Some cars need em, some don't!