Sign in to follow this  
Trinity

What is a Storm exactly??!

Hi all,

just a simple question you'll probably all be able to help me on. I went to see a blue 'storm' yesterday, however it had no aircon or cruise control. It also didnt have a sunroof, but i couldnt find any buttons for a/c etc. Ive owned a few vr6 corrados before so was expected something other than a badge on the rear about these storm cars.

It was a bleuy/purple colour with heated black leather..but that was it, i couldnt find anything special about it. It was on an N plate. The guy before me had pissed around with it with silly big bore exhausts and cheap induction kits and it had had a new front end and a dodgy garage was selling it. The type that if you bring it back a week after you bought it with a problem, they would rather give you a knock than politely fix it!

Cheers for any advice!!!

Mike

that sounds like the dodgy storm on autotrader. is it advertised as a 2.8 storm?? for about £3700 ish...with bbs 17" alloys....

probably best to steer clear of that one

If it's the dodgy one from the other thread maybe the sunroof has been welded up & smoothed to help with the "Major Structural Damage" it's had.... :-) ;-)

Fair enough, so its seems these storm cars arent anything special at all! think ill just stick with another v6!

Mike

The only Corrados that DIDN'T have sunroofs were the very early (F and G Reg) 16vs and I think it was only an option on 8v ones.

thats exactly the car mate, you could be right with it being welded up...plus the fact that the garage is known to be the most dodgy garage in the area, advice to us all, i think we should all steer clear of this one! what a shame tho :(

Mike

another question here tho, was there ever a 2.0 8v corrado? mim sure to go they only ever made the 1.8 8v G60, and the 1.8/2.0 16v, but ive seen some on autotrader saying 2.0 8v...why the heck would they do this? the 16v ones where gutless as it was!

yup, there was a 2.0 8V...

Engine types were:

1.8 16V (KR)

1.8 G60 (PG)

2.0 16V (9A)

2.9 VR6 (ABV)

2.0 8V (dunno! I've never seen one!)

And now all sorts of weird and wacky concoctions such as 1940 G60, 1.8 20VTurbos, 2.1 16V are starting to appear too! :wink: :lol:

The only Corrados that DIDN'T have sunroofs were the very early (F and G Reg) 16vs and I think it was only an option on 8v ones.

mines a G plate 16ver and its got a factory sunroof, but i think you're right in that they didnt have them as standard.

was there ever a 2.0 8v corrado?

there was, according to the recent top gear feature it was introduced as a 'cheap' option to try and encorage sales as the vr6 was too expensive. As for the 16v's being gutless, probably, compared to a g60 or vr6 but they still shift! :D

----

just checked parkers.co.uk - 2.0 8v from 94-95 with 115bhp. with a one year production run and that sort or 'performace' i wouldnt expect there to be many about!

the 16v ones where gutless as it was!

Here now loon my valver is no that slow, considering the weight disadvantage of the raddo it still hauls ass 8)

Maybe this 'Storm' at Fountain Garage has been cobbled together with a Golf engine, sunroof-less F reg shell, and trim from a Storm/VR6?

I can't imagine why anyone would weld up a sunroof apeture, too much work to do properly. It would be easier to reshell it, then it can be sold on V car....but it would need a new reg plate?

Who knows whats been done to this 'storm', question marks all over it isnt there! out of curiosity i may go down there as an 'interested naiave buyer' and see what the sales guy says about it...or just offer him a grand and get the interior :)

as for the 16v, yeah the c is heavy, therefore why the hell would you want a that engine? im not a loony, i thrashed a 16v at santa pod in my 8v golf GTI mk2...says it all really ;) heheh..

Wasn't entirely serious about suggesing the sunroof'd been welded :-)

Does the interior have no sunroof aperture also?

Either way, sounds like the dodgiest C I've ever heard of... :shock:

as for the 16v, yeah the c is heavy, therefore why the hell would you want a that engine? im not a loony, i thrashed a 16v at santa pod in my 8v golf GTI mk2...says it all really heheh..

then the driver of the 16v either wasnt trying or just wasnt a good driver,the corrado isnt that much heavier than the mk2 golf

as for the 16v, yeah the c is heavy, therefore why the hell would you want a that engine? im not a loony, i thrashed a 16v at santa pod in my 8v golf GTI mk2...says it all really ;) heheh..

Hey!! I don't remember this site becoming a forum for bashing valvers :!: Very brave of you to take on tho :wink:

Lets not forget they were the first of the finest vw ever made :D

Besides, some of us have 'insurance' issues :x

Each to their own.. i'd rather be driving a 16v Corrado than a great many of cars out there at the minute. I don't know many cars available for £2000-£3000 which look as good as the Corrado, and the 16v is a great way to get into the range before stepping up to a G60 or even the VR6.

The 16v engine might not be the best in the Corrado, but it still makes a great noise and goes with plenty of punch - and the Corrado to me is not just about the engine. Its that superb look :)

the Corrado to me is not just about the engine. Its that superb look :)

RIGHT ON :D

Hey!! I don't remember this site becoming a forum for bashing valvers

Doesn't matter what flavour engine you've got as all 4 get picked on here :roll:

We need less of this :agrue: and more of this :help:

I'm with Jim, a Corrado could have a 500cc moped engine in it and it would still turn heads.

K

The 16v engine might not be the best in the Corrado, but it still makes a great noise and goes with plenty of punch - and the Corrado to me is not just about the engine. Its that superb look :)

I disagree Jim... I'd go as far as to say, on reliability at least, the 1.8 16V is by far the best of all of the 'rado family... Early dash, so no heater problems, no supercharger to blow up, no cat to get fouled up, cheaper to insure (and normally to run!) Parts are dirt cheap and easy to get hold of for the engine, and it's still fast enough to put a BIG grin on your face and embarrass quite a few other cars... 8) You can't really go wrong with a combination like that! :D

However, I do agree with the last bit, it's the character, class, style and uniqueness of the Corrado that does it for me, I don't give a damn if it's a VR, G60, 20VT whatever, as long as it's pretty true to the original idea of the 'rado then I like it... 8)

I'm with Jim, a Corrado could have a 500cc moped engine in it and it would still turn heads.

K

That'd be some moped!

Oops, typo....should have been 50cc! Doh!

Don't some of the bigger Vespas have a 500cc motor in them?

K

yup, there was a 2.0 8V...

Engine types were:

1.8 16V (KR)

1.8 G60 (PG)

2.0 16V (9A)

2.9 VR6 (ABV)

2.0 8V (dunno! I've never seen one!)

And now all sorts of weird and wacky concoctions such as 1940 G60, 1.8 20VTurbos, 2.1 16V are starting to appear too! :wink: :lol:

2.0 8v was an ADY eng code 115bhp as standard, in case any one is bothered :? :?